Text page

Visas and border crossings

Visas and border crossings forum

Same day visa run (Cambodia-Thailand-Cambodia) possible? (at Hat Lek / Ko Kong)

Posted by Zjaaspoer on 21/10/2014 at 09:49

As our visa for Cambodia (VOA, 30 days, first ever entry) is almost expired (the 26th), and we're near Hat Lek / Ko Kong, we want to do a same day visa run from Cambodia to Thailand and then immediately back into Cambodia to get a new visum.

My question is if this is at all possible. There is a lot of information on the web but I can not find a concise answer.

What I do know is that Thailand has a new rule in place since may 2014 that these kind of runs over land are no longer possible (but thats for the other direction right?)

As we are traveling on bought motorcycles (which we can't bring into Thailand) we will be doing this by foot. So probably using a TucTuc for the last stretch to the actual border.

I have never even done a visa run in my life so I have very little other knowledge about what I want to do, so I hope you guys can help!

Thanks! :)

#1 Zjaaspoer has been a member since 21/10/2014. Posts: 1

Posted by Captain_Bob on 23/10/2014 at 06:28

"What I do know is that Thailand has a new rule in place since may 2014 that these kind of runs over land are no longer possible (but thats for the other direction right?)"

Exactly, that policy change (which has since become very randomly enforced, surprise surprise!) only applied to people doing successive out/in border hops FROM THAILAND to a neighbouring country. It has no bearing in your case. Have crisp $30 (price went up from $20 Oct-1) and passport-size photo, it should be easy. The only trouble I (and countless others) have had at this border is attempts at over-charging by the Khmer Immigration officials. Present your pristine $30 be firm and smile.

P.S. If you intend to stay longer than another 30 days in Cambodia get a "Type-E" for $35 which can be extended repeatedly and for longer periods (at Immigration in Phnom Penh).

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,955

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.