Text page

Visas and border crossings

Visas and border crossings forum

Obtaining multiple visas - in Chiang Mai?

Posted by MissCaswell on 19/12/2014 at 19:00

Hi all! Am hoping you can help me with something...

I'm due to fly to Bangkok on January 6th. My plan was to go on a same day flight to Myanmar and spend time there before returning to Thailand for a few days, visiting Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai and then continuing on to Cambodia and Vietnam.

I hadn't realised yet that I don't qualify for a e-visa for Myanmar but I did know that I need to apply for a Vietnam visa in Chiang Mai with an agent (the nearest Vietnam embassy is in a different country and I can't be sure I'll get my passport back before departure, experience talking).

So here is are my questions:

Is it possible to get a Myanmar visa from home before my departure? (without shipping my passport overseas, no e-visa option). If so how? Tried and tested methods please :)

If I rearrange my trip is it possible to arrange a visa for Myanmar and Vietnam at the same time while in Chiang Mai? I'll be in Chiang Mai for about 4-5 days and I can move those days around on the calendar but my traveltime is generally budgeted.

If neither of those options are realistic, how long does a Myanmar visa take in Bangkok and is there any fast-processing option?

Thanks in advance :)

#1 MissCaswell has been a member since 27/5/2014. Posts: 5

Posted by altmtl on 19/12/2014 at 20:07

TF says: "You are MUCH better off going in person to the Burmese embassy in Bangkok (Sathorn Neua) where an express visa can be obtained within 24 hours for a lot less."

See also:
https://www.myanmarvisa.com/bangkok.htm

http://twotravelaholics.com/2013/04/07/how-to-get-a-myanmar-visa-in-bangkok/

As for your Vietnam visa you can do it with an online service, no need to do it in Chiang Mai

#2 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,003

Posted by Captain_Bob on 20/12/2014 at 03:50

"I did know that I need to apply for a Vietnam visa in Chiang Mai with an agent (the nearest Vietnam embassy is in a different country..."

If you apply for a Vietnam visa in Chiang Mai (via travel agency) your passport gets sent to the Vietnam Embassy in Bangkok and it takes 3-4 working days. Speed money can knock off an extra day.

"As for your Vietnam visa you can do it with an online service, no need to do it in Chiang Mai"

Yes you can get a pre-approved visa on websites such as vietnamvisapro.net and it's the cheapest opion, but is only applicable if you arrive to Vietnam by air. If going overland from Cambodia get your visa at the Vietnam embassy in Phnom Penh or through an agent in Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, etc. Also note you need to state on the visa application when you intend to arrive in Vietnam, then can enter on or after that date but not before.

"Is it possible to get a Myanmar visa from home before my departure?"

I see from your other post your passport is Icelandic. There are Myanmar embassies in the UK, France, Belgium, Germany, etc. so you would need to contact them. Easier/faster to just do it in Bangkok.

"is it possible to arrange a visa for Myanmar and Vietnam at the same time while in Chiang Mai?"

Yes, but again your passport gets sent to Bangkok and it will take at least 5 working days to get it back with both visas and will cost more for this service.

#3 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,955

Posted by MissCaswell on 20/12/2014 at 14:11

Thank you for the answers! I think I'll end up staying an extra day in Bangkok and get my visa there - seems like the least risky option (worried about delays because of holidays if I send my passport to the UK now).

Also good to know about the e-visa for Vietnam, I will be arriving by air.

Thank again! :)

#4 MissCaswell has been a member since 27/5/2014. Posts: 5

Posted by altmtl on 20/12/2014 at 19:00

You may want to add an xtra day in BK just in case there's a problem at the embassy - you never know, but that's up to you. Seems a little tight.

#5 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,003

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.