Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

Lao Cambodia Border - Visa in advance

Posted by jella82 on 17/10/2007 at 13:42

Has anyone crossed this border recently? Is it ok to get a visa on arrival? Any idea how much it costs? Debating at the mo whether we should just get one in Vientiane to be on safe side, heading to Vientiane tomorrow so if anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated? :)

#1 jella82 has been a member since 20/6/2007. Posts: 9

Posted by somtam2000 on 17/10/2007 at 18:31 admin

Yes, Cambodia visa on arrival is available at that crossing.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,575
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by jaspereneli on 19/10/2007 at 02:31

Same here. We crossed here a couple of weeks ago and had no problems whatsoever obtaining a Cambodian visa at the border. Costs about 20 USD.

Be prepared though for a long and frustrating trip into Cambodia. We booked a direct trip from Don Khong to Kampong Cham for 29 USD but for some reason had to change busses 4 times. With every change it took about 1 to 2 hours before another bus arrived. The trip took 15 hours including waiting time...

#3 jaspereneli has been a member since 17/6/2007. Posts: 1

Posted by princessdisaster on 19/10/2007 at 06:22

I had a similar experience to jaspereneli when i made the trip, I went all the way to PP though - I would recommend staying the night at the second stop in Cambodia - sorry I can't remember what the name of the town was. Overall the trip from 4000 Islands to PP was a nightmare; we left 4000 Islands around 8am and arrived in PP at about 1am out the back of nowhere near the lake then had to try to find someone to take me to the guesthouse where I wanted to stay near the river.

#4 princessdisaster has been a member since 30/11/2006. Posts: 36

Posted by somtam2000 on 19/10/2007 at 06:57 admin

15 hours from Don Khong to Kompong Cham! That's really awful. One way to avoid this type of situation is just to book organised transport as far as Stung Treng and get into the share taxi system from then on -- faster, more reliable and has no interest in having you waste time in some affiliated cafe or restaurant while the buses are changed for no good reason.

#5 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,575
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.