Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

Last minute booking (nothing planned)

Posted by Tommo on 12/2/2015 at 09:10

I have managed to get the chance to get 2 months off work which is an opportunity I can't really pass up, so I want to try and do travelling Thailand, loas, Vietnam and maybe Cambodia as I might never get time to do it again. I depart Glasgow on the 16th Feb and return 15th April, but as this is last minute I am unsure of the visa situations travelling through these country's apart from I know I get 30 days in Thailand with flying in.
Am I over panicking about not having all these visa's sorted before I leave ? Can it be done as I go easy enough? as I am not sure what route I am planning to go as waiting to see who I meet and take it from there.
Is there a specific route to take that would make it easier travelling and doing the visas as I go?
Will I need or am I best to book some kind of onward travel to show that I plan to leave Thailand before the 30 days ?
appreciate the advice and any help/tips to help as I am doing this solo.
thanks
Tommy

#1 Tommo has been a member since 26/12/2014. Posts: 4

Posted by Captain_Bob on 13/2/2015 at 01:11

The only visa you should need to get in advance is for Vietnam. This can be obtained at Vietnamese embassy/consulate in Bangkok, Vientiane, Luang Prabang, Phnom Penh, Sihanoukville, etc. or through a travel agent in Thailand/Laos/Cambodia. There is also the option of a pre-approved visa via online agents such as vietnamvisapro.net which is cheaper but only applicable if you're flying into Vietnam as opposed to overland. For Laos and Cambodia visa on arrival at land borders and airports is quick and easy, pay in USD $35/30. Thailand offers visa-exempt entry to UK and many other nationalities. G7 countries (US, Canada, UK, France, Germany, Italy, Japan) get 30 days entry by air or land, while most other countries get 30 days by air but only 15 days by land. You can extend this one time 30 days at any Thai immigration office for 1900 baht. Airlines flying to Thailand (from Europe, US, Aus, etc.) may ask for proof of onward travel from Thailand within 30 days but this is not consistently enforced. It can be helpful to show some itinerary or booking to/in the next country.

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,941

Posted by mikal83 on 13/2/2015 at 04:35

Make sure you dont over stay in Thailand with an expired visa, as they WILL fine you on departure.....Our plane was delayed 1 day Phuket /KL and they had zero sympathy.

#3 mikal83 has been a member since 19/1/2015. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 139
 Send mikal83 a private message   Where has mikal83 been? 

Posted by daawgon on 14/2/2015 at 10:20

I suggest you fly into Hanoi after Thailand (Air Asia from Bangkok is good/cheap), travel the length of Vietnam, enter Cambodia by bus/boat overland, and work your way north to Laos and back into Thailand by either air or land (there's a good train if you cross the river at Vientiane). I don't think you'll have immigration problems or any need to show proof of onward travel. I think your big problem will be that you'll just run out of time - 2 months might seem like a great deal of time, but in reality it will fly by in this wonderful part of the world.

Just remember that you need documentation for Vietnam prior to boarding a flight into that country.

#4 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,145
 Send daawgon a private message 

Posted by Tommo on 16/2/2015 at 11:37

Thanks for the quick reply guy's it is really appreciated, So best bet is when I arrive in Bangkok is to hit the Vietnam embassy and apply for it right away as it may take a few days? also when I do this do I guess I will need to put an entry date for arriving in Vietnam?( can't apply for it and just get the date stamped on it when I arrive and have my 30 days from there)

daawagon, cheers for the recommendation and will give it thought as was thinking maybe Thailand-loas-Cambodia and then do the motorbike trip south to North but as I said still nothing set in stone as was waiting to see what happens when I get there and If I tag along with other people.
and yeah 2 months seems shorter than I thought I was maybe going to try fit in in Singapore and bali lol...but not looking likely, can maybe cut some time down in Thailand as done 3 weeks there couple years ago, so just want to see a few bits I missed last time like the stay aboard in maya bay, time in phi phi and krabi.
does 10 days in Loas and 10 days in Cambodia seem rushed?

#5 Tommo has been a member since 26/12/2014. Posts: 4

Posted by tenant13 on 10/10/2017 at 10:16

How did it go with the visas, border crossings and no proof of onward travel? I'm planning to do something similar and have identical questions - but more time to take care of the paperwork ahead my trip. So any info would be much appreciated.

#6 tenant13 has been a member since 3/9/2017. Posts: 3

Posted by tenant13 on 10/10/2017 at 10:16

How did it go with the visas, border crossings and no proof of onward travel? I'm planning to do something similar and have identical questions - but more time to take care of the paperwork ahead my trip. So any info would be much appreciated.

#7 tenant13 has been a member since 3/9/2017. Posts: 3

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.