Text page

Visas and border crossings

Visas and border crossings forum

Thai Visa

Posted by HansDN on 13/4/2015 at 15:34


I am planning a 2 month trip starting in North Thailand, going down through Laos and Cambodia and ending in Koh Chang/Ko Kut.
I was wondering if I can use the same visa I got on arrival in Bangkok when I enter Thailand again some weeks later at the Cambodian/Thai border?

Do I need to do all the paper work, passport pictures etc again or just use the same visapaper from Bangkok and get stamped in for 15 days?


#1 HansDN has been a member since 30/11/2014. Posts: 3

Posted by Captain_Bob on 13/4/2015 at 21:15

When you enter Thailand the first time (presumably without a visa) you get a visa-exempt entry (30 days), but this expires when you leave Thailand (to Laos, Cambodia). When you re-enter Thailand (by land border) you will get another visa-exempt entry which will be for 15 or 30 days depending on which passport you have.

See list of nationalities who qualify for visa exemption here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_Thailand

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,955

Posted by DLuek on 13/4/2015 at 21:28 TF writer

Assuming you're from a Western country, you won't get a visa on arrival. If you don't arrange a tourist visa before you enter, you will get a free 30-day visa exempt stay upon entering Thailand by air. You don't need to fill out any paperwork or have passport pictures to get that. Obviously you have to leave the country within 30 days, or extend the stay for 7 days at immigration, or pay 500 baht per day overstay (not recommended). The visa exempt stay becomes void whenever you leave the country. But you should have no problem getting another visa exempt stay whenever you re-enter Thailand. If arriving by land, you'll get another 30 day stay if you're from the US, Canada, UK, France, Germany, Italy or Japan. Most other Western nationalities get only a 15-day stay if arriving by land. All get a 30-day stay if arriving by air.

For your situation, the other option would be a double entry tourist visa. This you would have to apply for in advance, with the paperwork and passport photos and a 2,000 baht fee, at a Thai embassy or consulate outside of Thailand. You could also use a third-party visa service in your home country, which would cost more and would entail you mailing your passport somewhere. A double entry visa gets you two entries of up to 60 days each. The first entry becomes used as soon as you leave the country the first time, even if it's well before the 60 days. Then you can re-enter one more time on the same visa, staying up to 60 days again.

For a two-month trip that includes Laos and Cambodia, it sounds like you won't need a visa. You just have to be careful to stay within the parameters of the free visa exempt stays.

#3 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,344

Posted by HansDN on 14/4/2015 at 02:14

Oké, great. That's what I thought.
So I don't arrange a visa in advance and take the 30-days visa exempt when I arrive in Bangkok. I leave North Thailand in 30 days and a few months later re-enter Thailand and get another 15-days visa exempt. And make it in time to Bangkok before my 15 days expire.
No extra paperwork or passport photo's needed. Great.


#4 HansDN has been a member since 30/11/2014. Posts: 3

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.