Text page

Visas and border crossings

Visas and border crossings forum

Need to be 100% sure - Visa on arrival Thailand

Posted by ayebobe on 29/4/2015 at 09:08

Hi,

I'm planning a trip to Thailand and Myanmar this summer. I booked a flight from Canada to Bangkok roundtrip july 19 to august 23 (35 days). I'm going to Myanmar from august 2 to august 10 (plane from Chiang Mai to mandalay, plane from Yangon to Bangkok). Then i'm staying in Thailand until august 23.

I just want to be 100% sure on what kind of visa i need. I am Canadian.

My comprehension :

- Visa on arrival (free) at Bangkok airport
- eVisa before the trip for Myanmar (50$ US)
- Visa on arrival (free) at Bangkok airport when i'm back from Myanmar

I don't think i need to have a 80$ double-entry tourist visa before the trip.

thank you very much.

#1 ayebobe has been a member since 29/4/2015. Posts: 2

Posted by MADMAC on 29/4/2015 at 12:33

Did you already book the flight out of Chiang Mai? If so, you are spot on and good to go. If not, there's a small chance you could have a hassle leaving Canada or entering Thailand because you can't demonstrate you are leaving the Kingdom within the 30 days of the Visa on Arrival.

#2 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by Captain_Bob on 29/4/2015 at 12:39

You'll be fine. On arrival to Bangkok you'll get a 30-day entry stamp free of charge. When you leave to Myanmar that expires, but upon return to Thailand you'll get another 30-day entry stamp. The only potential sticking point is your airline departing Canada may request to see proof of onward travel within 30 days, so bring documentation for your flight to Myanmar.

Oh and technically speaking, what you get is a "visa exemption", not a "visa on arrival" which is provided for a handful of other nationalities.

#3 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,955

Posted by ayebobe on 29/4/2015 at 12:42

I did already book my flight to Mandalay.

I will contact my airlines to make sure everything is fine.

Thank you very much!

#4 ayebobe has been a member since 29/4/2015. Posts: 2

Posted by LoopsAround on 20/5/2015 at 00:46

Visa on arrival is very convinient and easy. There won't be any problem. I didn't try the Evisa for Myanmar yet, but heard it was ok. If there s a problem, you can also get one in Bangkok quite easily.

#5 LoopsAround has been a member since 20/5/2015. Posts: 1

Posted by Bangbang on 24/12/2015 at 02:49

Canadian citizens are allowed to remain in Thailand for 30 days without a visa. And Thai visa on arrival is not available for Canadian passport holders. You may need to read more about Thai immigration rules at here and here.

#6 Bangbang has been a member since 24/12/2015. Posts: 5

Posted by Captain_Bob on 24/12/2015 at 09:05

Beware those links to thaiembassy.com they contain errors and it isn't even an official website of any Thai embassy. It's a legal firm in Thailand. Better to rely on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_Thailand for current correct info.

#7 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,955

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.