Text page

Visas and border crossings

Visas and border crossings forum

Bus drivers leaving you behing at malasya-singapour border

Posted by Pokol on 1/8/2015 at 06:25

I had read about it but yesterday I experienced this. I went through immigration to entre Singapore and when I came out my bus wasnt waiting for me. There were a bunch of other western people from other buses who experienced the same thing. My company was KKKL.

#1 Pokol has been a member since 26/8/2009. Posts: 38

Posted by freiburger on 4/8/2015 at 03:02

Can confirm that,

same happened to me. Had to wait at immigration, meanwhile the bus departed without waiting. We had to buy a new ticket to travel on.

#2 freiburger has been a member since 27/12/2012. Posts: 127

Posted by Pokol on 4/8/2015 at 03:49

I wonder if there's a way to stop this happening because once you've crossed the border you can't really do anything about it

#3 Pokol has been a member since 26/8/2009. Posts: 38

Posted by freiburger on 4/8/2015 at 04:14

I don't think so.

The locals can pass the border really quick, but foreigners have to pass immigrations which can take quite a while. So instead of waiting and checking for missing guests, the drivers just continue the trip to keep their schedule. I think this is also why they are telling you to leave nothing personal behind.

Even though we passed immigration quite fast, our bus was gone the moment we arrived at the station. It's been a bite of a hazzle, but if there are 2 of you, one can keep an eye on the luagage and one can buy new tickets. We had to wait for 15 or 20 minutes until a local bus arrived. It happened on the way from Singapore to Malaysia.

#4 freiburger has been a member since 27/12/2012. Posts: 127

Posted by Pokol on 4/8/2015 at 04:44

Where abouts in Malasya were you going? That's even worse, being left behind at immigration in Singapore is not that far away from the city centre

#5 Pokol has been a member since 26/8/2009. Posts: 38

Posted by freiburger on 4/8/2015 at 04:49

Only to Johor Bahru bus station. From there I am not sure where we were heading, but I think we took the bus direction Pulau Sibu.

That has been in 2009, so this problem might be welln known already ;-)

#6 freiburger has been a member since 27/12/2012. Posts: 127

Posted by Pokol on 4/8/2015 at 04:51

Ive only heard about this happening on the way to singapore and Johor Baru. All the people that were heading to Melaka or KL were fine so far

#7 Pokol has been a member since 26/8/2009. Posts: 38

Posted by deepak696 on 4/8/2015 at 09:40

Maybe it's better to cross across by train!!

#8 deepak696 has been a member since 16/5/2015. Posts: 10

Posted by neilmason on 7/8/2015 at 16:49

A couple of comments (actually, three!):

(1) The Singapore side seems to take longer than the Malaysian side, travelling in both directions.

(2) Some bus companies (Delimah is one) specify on their tickets that they will wait for 20 minutes for travellers to clear formalities and then won't wait longer. Seems fair enough to me - they have to draw the line somewhere.

(3) Most buses from Singapore to Malaysia travel via Larkin bus station in Johor Bahru. Transnasional can stop there for an hour at times before travelling on. That being the case, you might as well travel separately to Larkin and buy an onward ticket from there, thus saving money.

#9 neilmason has been a member since 31/12/2012. Posts: 45

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.