Text page

Visas and border crossings

Visas and border crossings forum

Thailand to Myanmar to Sri Lanka to India

Posted by Mellowyellow on 23/9/2015 at 21:54

Hi,

I am currently in Thailand and have applied for my visa to Myanmar in Chiang Mai. I plan in going to Sri Lanka from there and then onto India. I am having some trouble finding information in this department.

Can anyone let me know what is the best way to proceed? I have heard many different things regarding crossing into Myanmar from Thailand (some borders being closed to foreigners). I was planning on crossing overland from the west (around Krabi/Phuket) but was told it is only possible from Mae Sot or from Chiang Rai. Can anyone confirm this? Would it be better to fly?

From Myanmar to Sri Lanka I have found very little information. I read I can apply for a visa online and get a visa on arrival if I fly, cost should be around 30 usd (I am Canadian). Where should I fly from in Myanmar and im assuming I would fly to Colombo in Sri Lanka?

Finally does anyone know if I can apply for my visa to India in Sri Lanka? I have heard that the visa to India is effective the day it is issued and not the day you enter, unlike most visas so I would like to get it as late as possible.

Thanks in advance!

Melissa

#1 Mellowyellow has been a member since 20/9/2015. Posts: 8

Posted by somtam2000 on 24/9/2015 at 17:35 admin

Regarding border crossings into Burma, quite a few are open to foreigners, but to overland or fly in will more depend on where you want to go. For example you can enter in the far south (by Ranong ) but then it will take you a few days to overland to Yangon - if you're planning on concentrating on Burma's "greatest hits" then returning to Bangkok and flying into Yangon (or Mandalay) will probably save you both time and money.

I'm not up on Sri Lanka visa rules sorry, but again, you **may** find cheaper flights from Bkk to Colombo -- take a look at the usual budget airlines and see what works for you - I'd imagine there would be more choice ex-Bangkok than ex-Yangon, but I could be wrong.

It seems the Indian high commission in Colombo uses an agency for all visa processing (common for India) you can find out more information here.

Cheers

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,062

Posted by HeidiSmith on 1/12/2015 at 21:52

Melissa….how did it go? Were you able to get a visa for Sri Lanka in Myanmar? (in person or on line?)

Thanks, Heidi

#3 HeidiSmith has been a member since 4/12/2014. Posts: 14

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.