Text page

Visas and border crossings

Visas and border crossings forum

Prek Chak/Xa Xia Crossing: Cambodian & Vietnamese Visas

Posted by chriswotton on 6/4/2016 at 08:15

Hi all

I'm travelling from Kep, Cambodia, (having come from Koh Tonsay) to Phu Quoc, Vietnam, later this month. It looks as though I'll be crossing into Vietnam at the Prek Chak/Xa Xia border. I'll then be spending three days/four nights on Phu Quoc, before crossing back into Cambodia at the same Prek Chak/Xa Xia border, and continuing onwards to Sihanoukville and Koh Thmei.

A few questions about visa/border practicalities, if anyone can shed any light for me:

1. On the first Cambodian leg, I'll be on a tourist e-visa (having entered at Poi Pet, so no issue there). Am I right in thinking that these can be used to EXIT at any crossing, including Prek Chak/Xa Xia? (The Prek Chak/Xa Xia crossing doesn't figure at all on the list on the Cambodian e-visa web site, where other crossings are listed with information as to whether e-visas are or aren't accepted for entry and exit.)

2. As a Brit, can I be stamped in Vietnam for 14 days visa-free at the Prek Chak/Xa Xia crossing on the way to Phu Quoc, in the same way as visa exemption is now available to Brits and some other nationalities at Vietnamese airports etc? (Presumably my Thai boyfriend also gets the same 14-day visa exemption he would at airports and other crossings?)

3. On the way back into Cambodia from Vietnam, am I right in thinking that I can't use a (separate, newly acquired) e-visa to enter at Prek Chak/Xa Xia, and that I instead need to get a visa-on-arrival on the spot? Again, this crossing doesn't get any mention whatsoever on the e-visa web site. Various reports online suggest e-visas can't be used to enter here, but that the usual visa-on-arrival is available instead - but most of these reports are from a fair while back, and I'm secretly hoping e-visas have since been rolled out here (but I'm doubtful). If anyone has any more up-to-date information then I'd be grateful.

I'm assuming in all of this that the Prek Chak/Xa Xia crossing remains open for non-Cambodian and Vietnamese locals, and that that's not the reason the crossing is omitted on the e-visa web site ;)

Many thanks in advance for any advice!

#1 chriswotton has been a member since 7/9/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 99

Posted by chriswotton on 6/4/2016 at 08:27

I can't find the edit button that I was sure was added (has it been removed?), so in point 2 I should correct my Vietnam visa-free exemption as a Brit to 15 days, and my boyfriend's visa-free exemption as a Thai to 30 days.

#2 chriswotton has been a member since 7/9/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 99

Posted by oasisbarhatien on 16/4/2016 at 22:15

1)Having entered Cambodia with an E visa at any border which accepts this,you may exit Cambodia at any border crossing,whether or not it accepts E visas for entry.So,in this particular case,yes,you can exit Cambodia at the Prek Chak/Xa Xia (Kep/Ha Tien) crossing
2)Yes,you will be eligible for the 15 day visa exempt entry to Vietnam at this border crossing,and your Thai friend will get a 30 day entry stamp.The only restrictions on you are that you can't have entered Vietnam using this exemption in the previous 30 days,and you might be asked for proof of onward travel from Vietnam.This doesn't happen often,but it is a requirement of this visa exemption that you need to show it.This border is fairly relaxed,so any sort of proof like a hotel reservation would do.You are unlikely to be asked for any proof though
3)No-you can't use an E visa at this crossing,but visa on arrival is easy.You will be asked for a 5USD fee for express issue of the visa-so a total of 35USD,if you refuse,be prepared for a lengthy wait.Don't try to use this crossing at peak times(11am-2pm) if at all possible,there can be long queues and long waits.If possible travel independently,not with a travel agent.Every day I have customers regretting going with travel agents,due to overcrowded minibuses,long waits at the border,and being dropped off at the side of the road,not where they were told they would be taken,as well as outright lies as to journey times,and the use of "modern air conditioned large buses" That phrase-translated into English,should read "ancient hot dusty crowded dangerous minibuses"

#3 oasisbarhatien has been a member since 12/8/2010. Posts: 113

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.