Text page

Visas and border crossings

Visas and border crossings forum

Thailand Trip > 30 days! Visa help!

Posted by carlotafariar on 6/6/2016 at 06:48

Hi there!

I need your help please! I'm a little bit confused with Thailand visa!

I'm Portuguese and I'm going to Thailand on 5th of July and came back on 16th of August (= 42 days).

I only have booked this flight (Emirates flight), however I pretend to visit at least one more country. I pretend to choose the country and book the flight when I'm already in Thailand due to obvious reasons: weather, date, in which city am I, ...

I don't have any proof that I'm going out yet, but could this be a problem when I'm entering in Thailand? Or when I'm leaving Thailand?

If it's a "yes, you can or will have problems" what can I do to prevent that?

Thank you so much! Ill appreciate any answer i get :)

#1 carlotafariar has been a member since 6/6/2016. Posts: 1

Posted by Captain_Bob on 6/6/2016 at 07:41

You won't likely have a problem being allowed into Thailand. Thai Immigration will give you a 30-day visa-exempt entry if you arrive by air, but 15 days arriving by land border. The problem can be with airline check-in requirement from Europe they may ask to see proof of onward travel (flight ticket) or a Thai tourist visa. You can apply for a visa (in Portugal) here: http://www.thaiembassy.org/lisbon/th/organize

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,955

Posted by DLuek on 7/6/2016 at 00:24 TF writer

Even if you have a tourist visa the airline check-in staff may say that you can't go on a one-way flight (has happened to me). To be sure to avoid any problems you could buy a cheap one-way flight out of Thailand (say Bangkok to Siem Reap on AirAsia) with a departure date that falls within 30 days of your arrival. Even if you don't use the ticket this would probably be worth it if you plan to visit another country anyway, as the cost would be pretty close to the cost of a Thai tourist visa. You'd just have to be sure to leave Thailand within the 30 days that you'd get for free without a visa.

If you plan on staying in Thailand for all 42 days then you should get a single-entry tourist visa; in that case you may or may not have problems at the airport. If they do give you problems, you could buy a cheap ticket out of Thailand right there at the airport, if you have internet on your phone, and then show it to check-in staff.

#3 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,344

Posted by whateverhappens on 1/8/2016 at 04:46

As I know, you need to show return flight ticket when entering Thailand. If you cannot meet this requirement, you may be rejected to enter Thailand. Read more at http://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/changes-visa-exempt.php.

#4 whateverhappens has been a member since 10/6/2016. Posts: 4

Posted by Captain_Bob on 1/8/2016 at 05:46

For the record do not give full credit to the thaiembassy.com website. It has been responsible for spreading misinformation regarding Thai visas. Read bottom of the page "This is NOT the official website of the Thai Embassy". In reality Thai immigration very rarely ask to see an onward/outbound ticket. It's more of an airline issue pre-boarding.

#5 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,955

Posted by exacto on 1/8/2016 at 16:10

The OP would have long since arrived in Thailand, so hopefully he is working it out.
Completely agree with Bob that the issue is almost always with the airline denying boarding and not Thai immigration denying entry. As long as you look halfway respectable, the Thais will usually let you in.
Even so, if you know you are going to be in Thailand for more than the 30 days granted under a visa exemption, a 60-day tourist visa is the way to go. It removes the worry about overzealous airline staff, and means you don't have to interrupt your holiday to spend half a day in a Thai immigration office seeking an extension.

#6 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,809

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.