Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

Travelling through South East Asia

Posted by Hennek1 on 17/8/2016 at 19:31

Hi everyone,

I am new to travel-fish so please bare with me! [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]

I NEED AS MUCH ADVICE AS POSSIBLE!

My girlfriend and I are in the stages of planning an 8 month back-packing trip. Our route so far is:

London-Beijing-Make our own way to Hong Kong-Chang Mai-Laos-Vietnam-Cambodia-Malaysia- (Kuala Lumper)-Jakarta-make our own way to Bali-Sydney-NZ-India-London

We have our dates pretty much set out to leave on May 01st 2017 and will book flights to Beijing and an outward flight from Hong Kong to Chang Mai........then we need advice.

How do we travel South east Asia if we don't know how long we want to spend there, which means NO OUTWARD FLIGHTS? I read of backpackers who have spent over a year in the region and i have know idea how they do it.

We would be travelling slowly as this is the main area of our interests, which would mean travelling overland. It would be so much easier if you could fly into a country and just travel through different borders like the majority of Europe.

I am aware that Visas are required but again more advice on the types of visas we should get would be appreciated!

Thanks guys!

A very rough Time frame:

Beijing-Hong Kong................. 1 month
Northern Thailand................... 2 weeks (as i have been to the south before)
Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia........2 1/2 Months
Malaysia and Indonesia........... 1 Month
Oz and NZ................................1 1/12 months
India......................................... 6 weeks

#1 Hennek1 has been a member since 17/8/2016. Posts: 3

Posted by Hennek1 on 17/8/2016 at 19:32

.....Also im open to changes/alterations from people who have experience of this region!

Thanks Again!

#2 Hennek1 has been a member since 17/8/2016. Posts: 3

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by shakitasexson on 18/8/2016 at 02:34

In Thailand, you will get 3 weeks for free visa. In Vietnam, you have the same thing if you are American.

#3 shakitasexson has been a member since 14/8/2016. Posts: 12

Posted by Captain_Bob on 18/8/2016 at 11:14

Thailand will give you 30 days visa-exempt with arrival by air, assuming you're from one of the eligible countries (US/UK/EU/AU/NZ/etc.). Re-entering Thailand by land would get you another 15 or 30 days depending on passport. Laos and Cambodia are easy visa-on-arrival at border or airport, bring USD for payment ($30-42 for Laos / $30 for Cambodia). For Vietnam some nationalities (Scandinavia, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, UK, and a few more) qualify for visa exemption 15 days. Otherwise get a tourist visa in advance (can do in Laos or Cambodia) or if arriving by air you can do a pre-arranged visa online (Google for agents).

#3 shakitasexson (and your 10+ other current usernames on TF) note Thailand it's 30 days not 3 weeks, and Americans don't qualify for Vietnam visa exemption.

#4 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,943

Posted by Hennek1 on 18/8/2016 at 21:54

Thanks for the replies guys.

So i fly from Hong Kong to Chang Mai..... I'l get a 30 day Visa on arrival?

I cross over the border to Laos.........Visa on arrival? and for how long?

Overland to Vietnam......I realize i would have to have paper organised but how long are the visas for?

Through Cambodia....... Visa on arrival? and for how long?

Back into Bangkok.......Will there be an issue re-entering Thailand?

When crossing the different countries is my Visa sufficient or do i need onward flights to show i am not stay?

Thanks again!

#5 Hennek1 has been a member since 17/8/2016. Posts: 3

Posted by Captain_Bob on 20/8/2016 at 23:53

Still haven't said what passport you carry, but many get 30 days visa-exempt arrival to Thailand by air free of charge. Laos visa on arrival 30 days, Vietnam visa pre-arranged standard is 30 days (pay more get more) Cambodia VOA also 30 days. Re-entering Thailand visa-exempt you may get 15 or 30 days depending on which passport (again, assuming your nationality qualifies). Within SE Asia no proof of onward travel is usually required.

#6 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,943

Posted by tenant13 on 10/10/2017 at 09:58

How did the border crossings go? I'm curious because I'm planning on traveling throughout SE Asia early next year and so far the only thing I have is a very rough outline of my itinerary (HK - Thailand - Laos - Vietnam - Cambodia - Thailand again and, depending on how much time I'll have left, either Myanmar or Malaysia or (my last stop) Singapore. I have a return ticket for a flight from US (flying to HK, returning 2 months later from Singapore).

I was gonna decide the details on the ground and book one way tickets within Asia as I figure out where to go next and how but there is a lot conflicting information out there about proof of onward travel. On one hand the last sentence of this thread states "Within SE Asia no proof of onward travel is usually required." , on the other all the official sources require it and a bunch of other sites quote stories about being denied entry.

Any more information would be appreciated.

#7 tenant13 has been a member since 3/9/2017. Posts: 3

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.