Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

visa for thailand

Posted by Chrisbee62 on 18/6/2017 at 22:29

Hi - I am from australia
My plan was to land in KL and make my way up to Chang Mai.
However entering Thailand by land only permits a 15 day visa and I would like to spend at least 21 days in Thailand. All neighbouring borders of Thailand in the north have visa requirement. with advance notice and a fee attached.
If I fly into Chang Mai (30 day visa) and work my way down, immigration requires proof of Thailand exit. Not sure how strict they are, was told depends on the day a bit. (if my ticket back to Aussie land from KL is considered sufficient.) we are in our 50's and have mum and son with us.
Any tips suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

#1 Chrisbee62 has been a member since 17/4/2017. Posts: 1

Posted by DLuek on 18/6/2017 at 23:32 TF writer

As it says at the top of the Travelfish Thailand visa page, Thailand now grants free 30-day visa-exempt stays whether you enter by land or air. So you won't need a visa if coming from Malaysia overland and staying in Thailand less than 30 days.

I don't understand what you mean by "All neighbouring borders of Thailand in the north have visa requirement. with advance notice and a fee attached."

If you decide to fly from KL to Chiang Mai , that should also be fine. You almost definitely don't have to worry about immigration asking for proof of Thailand exit -- that generally happens only at airline check-in desks on other continents (i.e. when you're still at the airport in Australia). If for some reason the airline or immigration did ask, your ticket from KL back to Australia should suffice. Personally I wouldn't want to go all the way from Chiang Mai back to KL overland anyway; I'd fly back there from Bangkok (or Phuket or Hat Yai from the south) to catch the return flight to Australia.

#2 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,268
 Send DLuek a private message   Website   Twitter 

Posted by mikal83 on 27/6/2017 at 03:53

Thailand is very strict on the 30 days. Our flight was delayed and we strayed over the 30 days by a few hours and had to pay an on the spot fine! Cheers Thailand.

#3 mikal83 has been a member since 19/1/2015. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 139
 Send mikal83 a private message   Where has mikal83 been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.