Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

visas and itinerary

Posted by ambhaven on 4/8/2017 at 12:51

Hey guys, this is my first trip to SE Asia and need some advice in regards to what visas are needed and especially which need proof of onwards travel.
I'm flying into Bangkok from England and will be in SE Asia for 2 months before going on to Australia with a working visa. I wanted to go with as little pre-booked as possible in terms of onwards travel; allowing me to be able to go with the flow of things once out there. All I know is I definitely aim to hit all Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos (not necessarily in that order) before I return to Bangkok for my flight to Aus.

Do I need proof of onwards travel initially for my entrance into Bangkok? I know some people get 'throwaway' tickets, is it worth me looking on AirAsia for the cheapest flight to one of the other mainland countries and if I end up using it then great, if not then whatever it was cheap?

Then do I need proof of any onwards travel in the other countries? Or should I just worry about that and visas for those once I'm there.

Thanks!

#1 ambhaven has been a member since 3/8/2017. Posts: 2

Posted by DLuek on 4/8/2017 at 20:11 TF writer

Will you have a flight booked to Australia before you leave for Thailand? If yes, that should suffice as proof of onwards travel when you board the flight in UK. If not, there's a good chance that airline staff in UK will not let you board unless you have some kind of proof, like a "throw away ticket" as you say.

For entry to Thailand you'll get 30 days visa exempt and, hypothetically, that can be extended at an immigration office for another 30 days, so it should be fine so long as you can show a ticket to Australia. Once you're in the region it's highly unlikely that any immigration officer will ask you to show proof of onwards travel (but I assume you'll have it anyway in the form of the ticket to Australia so no worries).

PS All four of those countries is a lot for 2 months -- you'll need to be very selective about where you go and you may want to fly longer routes, otherwise you'll need a holiday to get over your holiday. Keep in mind that traveling in this part of the world can be a lot slower and more tedious than in UK.

#2 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,277
 Send DLuek a private message   Website   Twitter 

Posted by ambhaven on 11/8/2017 at 16:59

Yeah I do have a flight to Australia already booked! Glad that should suffice.

Yeah to be honest I was worried I was trying to squeeze too much in to the time frame I've got- don't want to never feel settled in one area as I know I'll soon be moving on. Have you been SE asia? Is there a country out of those 4 you feel I could potentially drop? And even then do you think I'm trying to cram too much in?

Thanks!

#3 ambhaven has been a member since 3/8/2017. Posts: 2

Posted by FoundVagabond on 12/8/2017 at 10:09

Posted from within Vietnam.

Make sure you take a decent amount of USD with you, it will come in handy. When you get your visa on arrival in Cambodia you need to pay in USD, I think it was $30. I am a Canadian and it was much cheaper for me to get my Vietnam visa in Cambodia instead of at home (it was a quarter of the cost). I got it in Sihanoukville - dropped it off in the morning and got it at the end of the day. I believe it was $US 40. You can also get it in Phnom Penh. The Vietnam visa is good for 30 days, single entry, so that should work for you. You can find more details in my blog at blog.lifeisgrand.org.
Happy travels!

#4 FoundVagabond has been a member since 25/8/2014. Posts: 10

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.