Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

Which visa for Thailand questions, METV, Tourist or visa free?

Posted by mtnmichelle on 10/7/2018 at 14:31

Hello all, I bought cheap tickets roundtrip from Seattle to Bangkok with dates from October 9 - April 12 and am planning to travel Thailand, Myanmar, more Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam with a final flight back into Thailand to fly home. I'd like my initial stay in Thailand to be longer than 30 days which is why I am pondering visa options. I was thinking of getting a multiple entry tourist visa but they are expensive and are valid from the date of issuance which means it will expire before my trip is over.
1) Can a get a stamp to reenter Thailand after my METV expires?
2) Is it better to get a normal 60 day tourist visa and then just get a Visa Free entry when I return from Myanmar?
3) Can I get a tourist visa, get a visa free land crossing from Myanmar and then fly back into Bangkok? I was worried it might be too many entries as I see you can only do two visa free runs per year.
Thank you all for any advice you can give me, I appreciate all the knowledge on the website but am a little overwhelmed with all these visa considerations.

#1 mtnmichelle has been a member since 19/3/2017. Posts: 3

Posted by DLuek on 10/7/2018 at 23:37 TF writer

I don't see any reason for you to get a METV. I suggest that you start with a regular SETV that will allow you to stay up to 60 days in Thailand after your initial entry (you could actually extend it for an additional 30 days but I assume you'll leave Thailand before the first 60 days are up).

Whether coming by land or air, you'll get 30-day visa-exempt entries when returning to Thailand. The "only two visa free runs per year" refers only to land entries -- you can only enter on the visa exemptions (30 day stays) twice per calendar year if crossing land borders. It does not apply if flying into the country. Regardless, though, it looks like you'll only be re-entering Thailand twice, so you could do both of those entries by land or air.

So to answer your question, "Can I get a tourist visa, get a visa free land crossing from Myanmar and then fly back into Bangkok?", yes, that will work fine.

#2 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,314
 Send DLuek a private message   Twitter   Instagram 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.