Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

Laos >30 days

Posted by ade7 on 21/4/2008 at 04:49

Hi,

I have heard mixed things about the Laos Visa so I just wanted to clarify - am I right in saying that you can get the 30 day visa on arrival? I know it says on this website that that is indeed the case, but its just that Ive read different things elsewhere (these sources may have been out of date).

Secondly, I understand that you can extend your visa in Vientiane, but only "on a daily basis", according to this site. I was hoping to stay for more than 30 days (perhaps more like 40 days), and, since I wont be near Vientiane towards the end of my stay, presumably I will not beable to extend my visa. So, is it possible to leave the country at Vientiane and then head straight back in, getting a new visa?

Any help is very much appreciated,
Cheers, Andy

#1 ade7 has been a member since 14/4/2008. Posts: 12

Posted by somtam2000 on 21/4/2008 at 12:50 admin

Hi Andy,

Yes, visa on arrival is valid for 30 days.

For extensions, yes it is $2 per day -- but you can buy the the days all at once -- you don't need to go to the immigration office each day and buy another day. Can you tell me where you read that on the site please so I can correct it?

Yes, no problem to leave to Thailand and get another visa on arrival for a further 30-days.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,566
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by ade7 on 21/4/2008 at 19:18

Thanks very much for your help. Ah, I can buy the days all at once, that makes things a lot more simple.

I read it on the sticky thread in this section of the forum. It says, under the section for Laos visas:

"Extensions
Tourist visas can be extended on a daily basis."

Which, of course, does make sense - in that you are paying for the extension per day, though it is perhaps a bit misleading.

Thanks again
Cheers, Andy

#3 ade7 has been a member since 14/4/2008. Posts: 12

Posted by travelingrich on 16/1/2009 at 03:38

Hi, I'm just checking, do you need to show evidence of an onward flight ticket to obtain a Visa when arriving in Loas? I'm flying into Luang Prabang from Chiang Mai, but not sure when I'll be leaving, so not planning on getting an outbound flight until I've stayed in Laos for a few days.

Thanks

Rich

#4 travelingrich has been a member since 7/1/2009. Posts: 3

Posted by Tilapia on 16/1/2009 at 05:02

All they will want on arrival in Laos is 1) your passport, 2) your photo and 3) your money, and not necessarily in that order.

You don't need to show anything else. They won't ask to see an onward ticket or anything of the sort.

#5 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,496
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.