Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

Thai exit proof - land,sea or air?? Tourist visa exemption - 30 days!

Posted by lauraandmark on 16/9/2008 at 16:24

Hi just looked at the thai embassy UK website and it says as long as you can prove you are leaving thailand by land sea or air thats fine - has this changed recently?? is there a way to prove leaving by land if asked by officials? I have flights booked from laos to vietnam within the 30 day period - i know it actually doesnt state i'm leaving thailand but would they understand etc?? Thanks, Mark

#1 lauraandmark has been a member since 4/9/2008. Posts: 21

Posted by idreamofdurian on 16/9/2008 at 23:08 TF writer

If you have a return ticket back to your home country (even if it's more than 30 days later) you shouldn't have any problems at all.

If an airline does give you problems (ex. I'm a Canadian citizen living/working in Singapore, yet when I was flying back here after visiting my country Air Canada insisted I needed a flight out of Singapore!!) the easiest thing to do is to log on to www.airasia.com or any one of the super-budget airlines and book a flight. One can easily be found for under $100.

#2 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Send idreamofdurian a private message   Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Posted by SBE on 17/9/2008 at 13:52

Your main problem will be at the airport in the UK. Airlines often won't let you board flights to Thailand unless you have a tourist visa (one you pay for) or a flight out of Thailand within 30 days. This is because THEY are responsible if they let you board a flight without correct documentation in the unlikely event immigration don't let you in.

Although immigration in Thailand is reportedly a bit more strict than it used to be, I've never once been asked to show proof of onward destination on arrival.

I'd phone the airline, explain you are travelling overland out of Thailand and ask if proof of other flights from different countries within the 30 day period is sufficient as far as they are concerned.

#3 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,037
 Send SBE a private message   Where has SBE been? 

Posted by boxee on 17/9/2008 at 20:35

SBE thanks for posting this , after seeing your post i rang up my airline , and found out that they would have not let me on the plane with out a visa.

mark
if you still have any questions about visa's you should give the thai embassy in birmingham a call they are very very helpful, much better then the embassy in london.

danny

#4 boxee has been a member since 26/3/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 131
 Send boxee a private message 

Posted by lauraandmark on 17/9/2008 at 20:44

Thanks for all the info people... danny who are you flying with if you dont mind me asking?

#5 lauraandmark has been a member since 4/9/2008. Posts: 21

Posted by boxee on 17/9/2008 at 20:52

i am flying with Royal Jordanian Airlines
who are you fling with

#6 boxee has been a member since 26/3/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 131
 Send boxee a private message 

Posted by lauraandmark on 17/9/2008 at 20:56

were flying with qantas - there is some info on there website about the visas for thailand but it's not completely conclusive

#7 lauraandmark has been a member since 4/9/2008. Posts: 21

Posted by lauraandmark on 17/9/2008 at 21:00

http://www.timaticweb.com/cgi-bin/tim_website_client.cgi?SpecData=1&HEALTH=VISA=&page=both&NA=GB&AR=00&EM=GB&DE=TH&TR=00&VT=00&user=AMADEB2C&subuser=QANTAS

if anyone is interested here is what qantas say

#8 lauraandmark has been a member since 4/9/2008. Posts: 21

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.