Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

Visa for Travel Document holders

Posted by aprilmeuychao on 19/2/2009 at 04:22

I am planning to travel to Thailand in mid-April. Since I do not have a U.S. passport but have a Travel Document (re-entry Permit issued by U.S. Homeland Security) I will need to apply for visas to Thailand. Once I arrived to BKK, I will take another flight to Chiang Rai and stayed there for 2 days, then I want to travel to Laos and will be traveling by land through the border of Chiang Khong to Huai Xai, Laos, and will be staying in Laos for 1 week and will return to Thailand again by land from Huai Xai.

I understand I need 2 entries to Thailand. But they asked to if applying for 2 entries to Thailand, I need to send proof that there is 2 entries to Thailand on the ticket. My question is that, will they grant me 2 entries to Thailand even thought my airline ticket does not show 2 entries to Thailand? Will they just accept a letter from me explaining the situation?

Another thing, I want to get the Laos visa done here in the U.S. before I leave, since I will be traveling by land to Laos from Thailand, will the Laos embassy grant me a visa to Laos even though there is no proof that I wil going to Laos?

Sorry, this is kind of long and maybe a little confusing but I am unable to reach anybody for the Laos or Thai embassies here in the U.S.
Thank you in advance.

#1 aprilmeuychao has been a member since 19/2/2009. Posts: 2

Posted by somtam2000 on 19/2/2009 at 06:59 admin

Easier question first -- you do not need to prove you are going to Laos to apply for a visa.

I'm a bit confused -- do you have a passport or not? I've never heard of the Travel document that you mention, so I'm a bit wary of offering too much advice as it may be some kind of special case. that said, if you're applying for the visas stateside, I reckon you're better off asking the consulate/embassy there -- explain your travel plan (it is a very very common one) and see what they suggest.

Hope that is of some help.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,943
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code

Posted by aprilmeuychao on 19/2/2009 at 07:48

Thank you for your reply.

I don't have a United States Passport because I am not a U.S. Citizen. I have a Travel Document (Re-Entry Permit to U.S.) since I am a Permanent Resident with an Alien card (green card).

But in any case, even if there is no proof that there will be 2 entries to Thailand on the ticket...will they be able to issue me 2 entries to Thailand?

It's so hard to get a hold of anyone from the embassy, so I came here. Great site by the way. Thank you.

#3 aprilmeuychao has been a member since 19/2/2009. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.