Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

Country Hopping?

Posted by Epoche on 4/3/2009 at 00:07

Forgive me if the information I need has already been posted somewhere.

I want to stay/travel through Cambodia and Vietnam for an indefinite period of time without becoming a citizen. Obviously, this will be difficult due to visa limitations. My questions is, is it possible, provided that money is not an issue, to stay in Cambodia until I am required to leave....cross into Vietnam...stay until I am required to leave....and then return to Cambodia immediately...renewing my sixty-day visa?

Is this considered "country hopping", and does it work?

Also, is it possible for me to get a business visa even though I would not be there for business reasons?

So, sixty days in Cambodia- enter Vietnam- stay sixty days- return to Cambodia- stay sixty days- ad infinitem?

#1 Epoche has been a member since 3/3/2009. Posts: 4

Posted by Lother on 4/3/2009 at 03:20

As far as Cambodia is concerned, you can get a Cambodian business visa for $25, absolutely no questions asked. And as money is not problem, you can get it extended indefinitely. No need to go to Vietnam unless you want to. If you do, you can get another Cambodian (business) visa when you come back.

#2 Lother has been a member since 12/5/2006. Location: Earth. Posts: 214
 Send Lother a private message 

Posted by Epoche on 4/3/2009 at 03:48

Thanks, Lother.

I don't mean to question your credibility, but are you sure it is that easy? I remember reading somewhere that a business visa application involves having a written statement by an employer describing the nature of the trip, or something to that effect.

I guess you are saying that a simple tourist, such as myself, could apply for this business visa without meeting any criteria?

Supposing I could do this, what is involved in getting endless extensions? Would I just pay a fee each time to renew it, and how long does each renewal last?

Thanks for your help.

#3 Epoche has been a member since 3/3/2009. Posts: 4

Posted by Lother on 4/3/2009 at 04:43

Yep, I'm pretty sure as I have one business visa in my passport next to a few tourist ones, just got it for kicks really as it's just $5 more :). They really don't ask for anything, although I think technically you are supposed to have proof that you have the money to cover your stay. I haven't heard of anyone being asked for that either.

There are several options for extending the business visa (3, 6 and 12 months), it's all just down to money. 12 month extension cost $300 last I heard. You don't even have to go to the immigration office yourself, you can get an agent to do the extension for you.

For more info, see for example
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Cambodia-Business-Visa-t244686.html
http://www.cambodianonline.net/ppvisa.htm

#4 Lother has been a member since 12/5/2006. Location: Earth. Posts: 214

Posted by Lother on 4/3/2009 at 04:51

Oh, and the 6 and 12 month extensions also make your visa multiple entry, so that would be useful if you plan to hop to Vietnam or elsewhere and back.

#5 Lother has been a member since 12/5/2006. Location: Earth. Posts: 214

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.