Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

vietnam, cambodia and laos... help required!

Posted by adriandems on 23/5/2009 at 17:16

we will be traveling for 4 weeks in cambodia, vietnam and laos (we are originating in bangkok). which of the below itineraries makes more sense considering border crossings and visas? thank you!

Bangkok- Siem Reap (4 days)-4000 Islands (2-3 days) - Vientiane (2-3 days), Vang Vieng (2-3 days)- Luang Prabang (3-4 days)- Hanoi (3 days)- Halong Bay (2 days)- Hoi An (2 days)- Hue (2 days) - Nah Trang (2 days) - Ho Chi Ming (3-4 days)

Bangkok-Chiang Mai (4 days) - take boat to Luang Prabang (1-2 days)- Luang Prabang - Vang Vieng - Vientiane - 4000 Islands - Siem Reap - Phnom Penh (3 days) - Sihanoukville (3 days) - Ho Chi Ming

#1 adriandems has been a member since 23/5/2009. Posts: 1

Posted by chrispyrolls on 23/5/2009 at 20:57

I don't think visas are an issue - altho if you took the first route you would need to get the Lao visa in SR as there is no visa on arrival at the Dom Kralor crossing.

Route 1 looks good, altho bear in mind that unless you are flying LP - Hanoi that is one long bus trip! Also Don Det / Khone to Vientiane is about 20 hours by road I think... so will eat into your schedule. SR to Don Det / Khone is also a long bus trip...

Route 2 would mean you can get visa on arrival at Huay Xai

#2 chrispyrolls has been a member since 2/11/2006. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 198
 Send chrispyrolls a private message   Website   Twitter 

Posted by somtam2000 on 25/5/2009 at 09:12 admin

The only really "issue" here is your visa for Laos. If you take route 1 you'll need to get it beforehand (I suggest getting it in Phnom Penh ) while with route 2 you can get the visa at the border. Either way you will need to get your Vietnamese visa before arrival -- in which case I'd suggest either Phnom Penh or Vientiane being the easiest place to get it.

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,643
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by brucemoon on 27/5/2009 at 19:23

I won't comment further on the good advice already posted.

But, I'm really wondering why you are trying to 'do' a SE Asian holiday in cities and transport.

I'm thinking that some of the best enjoyments in SE Asia are being by-passed so that you can go to the towns/cities that everyone else goes to, that are full of touts trying to sell you stuff, are expensive 9relative to other options) and are really only 'same same but different' versions of each other.

My personal feeling is that about half way, you are going to be saying to yourself "gee, this travelling is really tiring". And, with the itinerary you've suggested, you'll be spot on.

I suggest you go read:

It may help you enjoy more and rush less.

#4 brucemoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.