Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

I need to Get to Vietnam from Thailand for freee? Please help me..

Posted by tropicaladventure on 25/5/2009 at 16:57

I will be in thailand on a multiple entry visa,,, as I have to leave and renter after 90day I I thought it would be nice to check out Vietnam..
But between thailand and vietnam,there are two countries,,Laos and Cambodia...do any of those countries offer a free entery visa for upto 15-30days like thailand,,,, I dont want to pay for the visa because I am just corssing to country into vietnam,,,,then I would have to return through the country again,,,so if i had to pay, I would have to pay twice including the visa for vietnam 3visa's,,,lol
I know a flight would sort that problem out but they cost around $100.
Any advise would be great.

#1 tropicaladventure has been a member since 25/5/2009. Posts: 9

Posted by Lother on 25/5/2009 at 18:33

Nope, no free visas / visa-free entry for Cambodia or Laos.

#2 Lother has been a member since 12/5/2006. Location: Earth. Posts: 214

Posted by tropicaladventure on 25/5/2009 at 19:32

cambodia and laos are free,,,,great that shold save £30...thanksdo you know if they are 15 or 30 free visas?

#3 tropicaladventure has been a member since 25/5/2009. Posts: 9

Posted by Lother on 25/5/2009 at 19:44

I guess you misunderstood me a little. I meant to say there those countries DON'T give free visas or visa-free entry. In other words, you'll need to pay :). The Cambodian (30-day) tourist visa is cheaper, $20, the price of the Laotian visa depends on your nationality but is a bit more expensive.

#4 Lother has been a member since 12/5/2006. Location: Earth. Posts: 214

Posted by tropicaladventure on 25/5/2009 at 20:00

thanks for your reply,,, I am british,,,

#5 tropicaladventure has been a member since 25/5/2009. Posts: 9

Posted by chrispyrolls on 26/5/2009 at 03:34

it was $35 for us brits i think ... or $30 ... either way it wasn't free... i'd have remembered that!

#6 chrispyrolls has been a member since 2/11/2006. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 198
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by brucemoon on 27/5/2009 at 19:09

Please don't think that the cost of the visa is the end of the matter.

Depending on where you enter, and at what time, and on what day, the border officials like to extort extra monies under what they term 'overtime fees' or similar.

Plan on another 1 - 2$US per entry.

Cheers

#7 brucemoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by DLuek on 28/5/2009 at 18:54 TF writer

Posted from within Vietnam.

If you don't want to go to Cambodia or Laos, flying is probably cheapest. I flew from Bangkok to Saigon a few days ago for just over U$50 (one way) on Air Asia.

#8 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,176
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by MADMAC on 30/7/2009 at 23:53

DLuek is right - fly. A bus ride from Bangkok to Vietnam - my definition of hell.

"Depending on where you enter, and at what time, and on what day, the border officials like to extort extra monies under what they term 'overtime fees' or similar."

Bruce, this has never happened to me, and I've crossed into Laos six times. Did you have this problem often?

#9 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by BruceMoon on 31/7/2009 at 08:30

John

Perhaps because you can speak the local language, you weren't asked to pay extra. Elsewhere on Travelfish, others are reporting that they've experienced the same problem. It's not only when you enter, it's also when you leave.

I suppose it's possible that the Nong Khai - Vientiane entry point isn't charging, I don't know - but it certainly applies in the boonies.

Cheers

#10 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by williamtaylor on 31/7/2009 at 13:43

I would like to second Bruce here. Plan on a little extra for corrupt border officials. Let's not pretend they don't exist.
I haven't had any problems with Laos (yet), but the Cambodian border officials are a special breed. Don't really think being able to speak local languages or not has any impact.
Given this Air Asia is most definitely your best option. (and no you do not need to pick your seat or buy their travel insurance)

#11 williamtaylor has been a member since 9/6/2009. Location: Japan. Posts: 29
 Website   Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.