Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

Please Help :) More visa info

Posted by lauren8 on 26/5/2009 at 09:02

This site is fantastic...

I am flying into Bangkok on 17th Sept from Singapore.. I have an English passport and have a flight out of Bangkok to England on 22nd Oct .. A few things that I want to ask..

1. I know my flight is more than 30 days from when I arrive in Bangkok but I am actually only looking at staying in Thailand for less that a week as I will be going to cambodia vietnam and laos. So was thinking would it be ok if I got the 30 free day visa when I arrive in Bangkok? Then when I cross the thailand border to get my return flight I could just get the 15 day free visa ?

2. Is it easier just to get the vietnam and cambodia visa at the embassy in Bangkok ? The Laos Visa is that ok to get at the border?

3. I only have 5 weeks to travel to all these places .... I am getting a good idea from this website of this to do .. but what would be the best route from bangkok and bearing in mind it is such a short period ? Any places I should skip to make it shorter ?

4. Also a german friend is travelling with me just want to make sure that with regards to visa information it will be the same for a german passport vs British passport ...

Would really appreciate anyones help ..

Thank you . :)

#1 lauren8 has been a member since 25/5/2009. Posts: 1

Posted by somtam2000 on 26/5/2009 at 09:16 admin

1. yes
2. If you're going to Phnom Penh before Vietnam, I'd get your Vn visa there. Otherwise Bangkok. For Laos, what border crossing are you planning on using? Many offer visa on arrival.
3. Best to take a look at the regional trips in the suggested itinerary section -- that should give you some ideas on what is and isn't possible in five weeks, but off the cuff, I'd seriously consider saving Vietnam for another trip.
4. Should be the same -- I'm not really up on German visa requirements, but I'd guess them to be the same. If in doubt, contact the relevant embassy.

Glad to hear you're finding the site helpful!

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,652
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by brucemoon on 27/5/2009 at 19:30

Somtam has suggested you rethink the area you seek to cover.

I'd coudn't agree more.

Lonely Planet has a book "Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, & The Greater Mekong". It may be a good reference text.

When you look at that text, scope the area in the map at the front and factor in travel times (etc.), 5 weeks isn't much time to see the area, let alone experience all that it has to offer.

Have a look at:

Maybe travelling less and enjoying more might then appeal.

#3 brucemoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by fondo on 28/5/2009 at 08:46

I agree with the salad king. Skip Vietnam on this trip ... and don't underestimate Thailand.

#4 fondo has been a member since 23/6/2006. Posts: 172
 Where has fondo been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.