Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

Laos Visa, best currency to pay with ?

Posted by keebone on 28/6/2009 at 13:16

I'm going to be crossing into Laos at the Friendship Bridge, Nong Khai - Vientiane and was wondering if I'm better off paying in US Dollars or Thai Baht. I would have to change British Pounds to US Dollars here in Pattaya somewhere and not sure what the rate would be like. Also anyone know the exact current price of a Laos visa for a British citizen.

#1 keebone has been a member since 25/6/2009. Posts: 10

Posted by BruceMoon on 28/6/2009 at 19:33

keebone

Travelfish has so much information, its a shame that much goes to waste.

Had you looked at the first post in this Topic, you'd have found your answer. Just in case you can't find it, go to:

https://www.travelfish.org/board/post/visabordercrossings/172_visa-and-border-crossing-news---please-read-this-before-postting-#laos

There it'll tell you the deal.

Hint, US$30 (plus any graft money the border officials want on the day).

As for the exchange rate, the interbank rate today is:

1 GBP = 1.64959 USD

No one will stop you using Lao Kip...

1 GBP = 14,088.27 Lao Kip

Cheers

#2 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by keebone on 28/6/2009 at 20:28

That was the first place I looked, it says nothing about paying in Thai Baht which I'd much prefer doing as long as I'm not going to get stiffed too much. It also says nothing about how much the visa on arrival is if you arrive via a land border, only the price arriving at Vientiane and Luang Prabang airports and via an embassy. I've also been told that Laos visas are charged according to your nationality which is why I posted the question of how much currently for a British passport holder.

Mai pen rai, I'm sure I'll sort it 1 way or another.

#3 keebone has been a member since 25/6/2009. Posts: 10

Posted by BruceMoon on 28/6/2009 at 20:36

keebone

It says US#0. The Laos would prefer US, but they'll readily take 1000 Baht. I paid in Baht at Huay Xai earlier this year, so I don't know why they wouldn't down south.

Others in our group (US & Brits) all paid the same amount.

The only drama was that the 'officials' wanted overtime money at 3pm (1 US$).

Cheers

#4 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by keebone on 28/6/2009 at 20:57

Ok, thanks

#5 keebone has been a member since 25/6/2009. Posts: 10

Posted by exacto on 29/6/2009 at 00:18

hey keebone,

i've seen lao border officials accept thai baht and GBP instead of the preferred US dollars, but at an exchange rate that made me glad i had the dollars available to pay. so, to answer your question, dollars definitely preferred but in a pinch other currencies accepted at an unfavorable exchange rate.

you could always arrange your lao visa in advance too, if you had the time and interest to do so.

the $1 overtime fee typically applies any time you cross the border outside of normal business hours, which includes all day on weekends and holidays too. hope that helps. cheers.

#6 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,657
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by keebone on 29/6/2009 at 10:30

Thanks exacto.

Think I'll nip into town and get some dollars if the rate is acceptable. I'm going to overnight in Bangkok and probably Khon Kaen on the drive up but wont have time to arrange a visa at either as I want to leave early. Shame you cant get a visa here in Pattaya. I would of got a visa back in London but it seems there's no Laos embassy there.

#7 keebone has been a member since 25/6/2009. Posts: 10

Posted by noknoy on 22/7/2009 at 14:55

They accept Thai baht and also US dollars for Lao visa on arrival

#8 noknoy has been a member since 22/7/2009. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.