Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

staying in a monastery in SE Asia :)

Posted by soQQuadro on 3/8/2009 at 08:46

Hi everyone. This site is quite amazing( almost regretted having bought the LP guide.eheheh)
anyhow I'd really like to know whether is feasible to stay a couple of nights in a monastery and share monks life or anything close to that.I'll b travelling from mid October,November,to middle of December through North Thailand,North Laos,central Vietnam and Cambodia. any suggestion???
ah! talking about myself and my man.mid 20's couple.
TA in advance

#1 soQQuadro has been a member since 3/8/2009. Posts: 28

Posted by BruceMoon on 9/8/2009 at 08:11

I haven't a clue. My first thought when i read your Q was 'a male & female...weeeell!'.

No-one has answered, even our illustrious navigator. That's not right. Some who often comment on Travelfish have so stayed, so I was assuming they would reply.

I googled and found a few references.

One that appears most helpful is here That article makes reference to other websites where comparable monasteries are located, including Vietnam (Laos & Cambodia are different branches of Buddhism).

One guy and his wife went and stayed at a monastery. He wrote a 7 part'll find the links here post 1 and post 2... the rest are linked on the left of that page.

I think they might have stayed at this place here is more on this monatery (with pics). If you go there Ubon R is a great location.

I can't see anything readily for Laos or Cambodia. But, given that these two countries are at the bottom end of the wealth tree, I can understand why.

#2 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by wanderingcat on 9/8/2009 at 13:46

might help if you explain what you mean by 'share monks life'?
what do you hope to 'achieve' from this?
what languages can you communicate in?
Google for 'e-sangha'+forum, you'll find loads of relevant & practical info there, but you need to register in order to view posts. let me know if you need help finding the right branch.

#3 wanderingcat has been a member since 21/10/2006. Posts: 730
 Send wanderingcat a private message   Where has wanderingcat been?   Website 

Posted by soQQuadro on 11/8/2009 at 03:05

thanks,I'll have a look :)))

#4 soQQuadro has been a member since 3/8/2009. Posts: 28

Posted by soQQuadro on 11/8/2009 at 05:36

thank you heaps Bruce. I went through everything. was most helpful :)
and anyway I consider you an illustrious navigator and veteran and your answer was satisfying and super appreciated :D

#5 soQQuadro has been a member since 3/8/2009. Posts: 28

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.