Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

Extending 15 day overland visa exemption in Thailand

Posted by surferRosa on 23/11/2009 at 19:01

I wanted to find out if I could get a tourist visa or somehow extend my overland 15 day visa exemption from within Thailand. I found similar questions but no definitive answers on this venerable website, so I decided to go to the immigration office in Bangkok to see for myself, here's what I found out.

Of course, if this question has been answered somewhere then please delete the post.

Basically you can get a 7 day extension on the 15 day overland exemption, costing you 1,900 baht, and that's it. I thought I might be able to get a tourist visa from within the country but that isn't the case. So if you come overland into Thailand without the tourist visa the maximum you can stay is 22 days.

Also I'm not sure if it's been pointed out here, but the address for the immigration bureau on its official website is completely wrong (I found out the hard way). The entire operation has moved to a brand new government mega-complex at the following address:

Government Center, B Building, Chaengwattana Rd, Soi 7

Hope that helps, Chris

#1 surferRosa has been a member since 23/11/2009. Posts: 1

Posted by somtam2000 on 24/11/2009 at 07:53 admin

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the report back -- good info.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,565
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by neilb on 8/11/2011 at 14:31

Does anyone know if you can extend the overland 15-day exemption at other immigration offices? Or does it only happen in Bangkok? I'm coming in from Malaysia in January and I may just get a visa if I can only extend in Bangkok.... I'm really not sure how much island time I am going to want!

#3 neilb has been a member since 24/10/2011. Posts: 1

Posted by tyler on 8/11/2011 at 23:23

You can extend you visa at any immigration office. If you are coming from Malaysia you might want to consider going to a Thai consulate ( Penang /KL) and obtaining a free 60 day visa ahead of time. I did this last year in Penang and it only took one day. You won't have to think about extensions unless, of course, you want to stay longer!

#4 tyler has been a member since 7/12/2010. Location: Canada. Posts: 257
 Where has tyler been? 

Posted by clguba90 on 28/10/2013 at 01:12

Hi, great info on the visa ... i was wondering if anyone knew that after you have already extended your 15 day over land visa by 7 days .... if you can extend it again for another 7 days? my visa runs out on the 5th november and i need another 2 weeks - to catch my flight ... am i better off just doing a border run and getting 15 days ?
any reply be appreciated
thanks C

#5 clguba90 has been a member since 28/10/2013. Posts: 2

Posted by Captain_Bob on 28/10/2013 at 05:38

^Can only extend once per entry. So in your case do a border hop for another visa-exempt re-entry.

^^Tourist visas aren't free. Cost in Penang/KL/etc. is RM110.

#6 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,891

Posted by clguba90 on 29/10/2013 at 02:50

Thanks for your reply - border run it is !
I am just a little worried a I have already done a re-entry 2ce on this trip and heard that they can decline you a re-entry ... Do you know I this is correct or do I have nothing to worry about ?

#7 clguba90 has been a member since 28/10/2013. Posts: 2

Posted by Captain_Bob on 29/10/2013 at 11:15

^No worries, there's no practical limit to the number of visa-exempt (re)entries. Pretty unlikely to be denied.

#8 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,891

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.