Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

Udon Thani Airport to Vientiane

Posted by brianennion on 24/12/2009 at 12:11

Hi All,
I am looking at flying up to Udon from BKK end of Jan 2010. Will leave from work and take the late flight.

Arrived around 6pm. collect bags etc by 6:30.. approx.

Looking around I see that the TAT scheduled buses finish at 5pm.. What is the next best way to get to Vientiane before the border closes at 10pm.. Hope to be sitting on the Mekong with a nice Beer Lao and eating some lovely Larb that evening.

Thanks for your help in advance
Brian

#1 brianennion has been a member since 29/1/2009. Posts: 4

Posted by Tilapia on 29/12/2009 at 03:41

Hi Brian,

You could head to the Udon bus station and then go from there. There should be buses/songthaews to NK at least every hour up until around 10:00 pm.

To get straight to the bridge, you might want to just hop in a cab. It's only an hour from Udon to Nong Khai and might be worth it if you're in a rush.

Also, I took this from another travel site. Might be helpful ...

TO THE FRIENDSHIP BRIDGE

Thai International runs bus transport (strangely called "limousine service") from the Udon Thani airport to Nong Khai. Catch this 100-baht bus, but don’t ride all the way to Nong Khai proper. After about forty-five minutes the "bus boy" will yell "Lao!" Yell "Lao!" in return, and get off the bus. At the bus station, someone will appear to help with luggage and to show the way to the ticket window where you can purchase a bus ticket to cross The Friendship Bridge (Saphan Mittaphap Thai-Lao) across the Mekong. This ticket costs 10 baht. The bridge bus leaves the terminal every twenty minutes during the time the bridge is open.

#2 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,499
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.