Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

lao visa in bangkok, cheaper?

Posted by jasonkim8486 on 4/1/2010 at 16:31

is it cheaper to get a laos visa in bangkok? or should i get it at the border? what should i expect to pay?

#1 jasonkim8486 has been a member since 15/9/2009. Location: United States. Posts: 81

Posted by Dylan on 4/1/2010 at 19:06

Posted from within Vietnam.

Mets fan, eh? Hopefully the Bay pickup pans out for you...

That said, the Laos visa was $30 for US citizens at the border (more for some other countries; inexplicably, Canadians and Afghanis had to pay ~$40). Took all of 30 minutes, even with two German tour groups pushing ahead of me in line.

#2 Dylan has been a member since 21/3/2009. Posts: 25
 Website 

Posted by exacto on 4/1/2010 at 19:59

Jason,

I think you'd actually pay more to get the visa in Bangers than at the border. Look it up here:

http://www.bkklaoembassy.com/consular%20service/visafee.htm

But even if it were cheaper, the Lao Embassy isn't exactly centrally or conveniently located, so you'd have the cost (and wasted time) of getting out there too. So unless you are under some special circumstances, I agree with Dylan that getting it at the border is a good choice.

By the way, most visa fees between countries are on a reciprocal-type basis. I suspect Canadians have to pay more to get a Lao visa because Lao have to pay more to get a Canadian one. Regards.

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,650
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by kostlin on 26/7/2010 at 10:44

can you get a visa into Laos on arrival from Thailand in the Chiang Khong area?

Does anyone know how long it usually takes a travel agent to get a visa in bangkok

#4 kostlin has been a member since 26/7/2010. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.