Photo: .

Visas and border crossings forum

Thai Tourist Visa - Double Entry

Posted by andrewmr on 6/2/2010 at 06:23

Hello Travelfish!

I will be traveling through SE Asia shortly - flying into Bangkok then going overland to Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, and back into Thailand by land. On my first trip to Thailand I plan to be there less than 30 days, so I could simply use the 30-day visa-exemption to get in, however, I don't have an outbound flight. I've heard that the main problem with the 'proof of onward travel' is that the airlines may deny boarding, not that Thai immigration will deny entry. On my second trip to Thailand, I plan to be there more than 15 days, which I believe is the maximum for an overland entry. With that said, I was wondering if I could get a single entry Tourist Visa to negate the proof of onward travel requirement for my first entry (basically, just to get the airline to let me board), not 'use' the visa upon arrival the first time, then 'use' it the second time I enter Thailand so as to increase my length of stay?

I've emailed the Thai consulate in my region and they said I should buy a double-entry visa, but it sounded like a very generic answer and seems like a waste of money.

I am Canadian, and the airline is Air China, if that makes any difference...

Thanks for the reply!

#1 andrewmr has been a member since 6/2/2010. Posts: 1

Posted by DLuek on 6/2/2010 at 13:02 TF writer

Hmm, I've flown into Thailand several times without having proof of onward travel and I've never had a problem, from the airline or anyone else. It's extremely common for travelers to fly into Thailand and then cross into another country... I have yet to hear a story of a traveler to Thailand that was not allowed to board their flight because they didn't have a return flight. I have also yet to hear of a traveler being denied entrance to Thailand because they didn't have proof of onward travel. People ask about this all the time on this forum and I've never once heard of anyone even being asked about it. You may want to check with Air China and see what they say... Just tell them you're going into other countries overland. That said, get a double entry visa if you're still concerned. It's not that much more $ than a single entry and it sounds like you're going to need a visa at some point one way or another. Otherwise - if you want proof of onward travel and no double entry visa - you can purchase a ticket from Bangkok to Kuala Lumpur for around US $25 from Air Asia and never actually use it. But in my opinion you're worrying a bit too much.

#2 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,298
 Send DLuek a private message   Website   Twitter 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code

Posted by WonderingTsar on 25/2/2010 at 00:27

Posted from within Vietnam.

I'm not sure whether it applies in canada, but in many countries Thai Visas (single and double entry) are free of charge up to March 4th.

#3 WonderingTsar has been a member since 28/1/2010. Posts: 31
 Send WonderingTsar a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.