Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Long trip planning

Posted by ElBarto on 17/3/2011 at 05:58

Hello everyone! I'm sure this has been posted before but I haven't managed to find any other posts that had exactly what I was looking for on them so I thought I'd make my own up. I'm planning to go backpacking around South East Asia starting at the end of this year and going on until I feel to homesick to continue or run out of money (although if that was the case I'd probably just get a job). I'm going to start off in Thailand then Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam & Malaysia, plus maybe a few ot ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,812 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by kirsten87 on 29/3/2011 at 20:02

Last minute flight prices

Posted by johntron86 on 26/3/2011 at 04:58

I've been noticing that when I search for international flights between Malaysia/Thailand/Cambodia they are much cheaper if I schedule a last minute flight instead of more than a month out. Does anyone know if this is a common thing for flights in SE Asia or is this just some sort of fluke at the moment? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,904 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by boxee on 27/3/2011 at 13:42

Opening a Bank Account

Posted by Moonbear on 19/3/2011 at 14:13

Hi, I am currently living in Malaysia, but I plan on leaving in a month. Before I leave, I want to do a two month trip in SE Asia. I plan to travel some in Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam. I am wondering if there is a bank that I could open an account in that has branches throughout SE Asia. I would like to be able to transfer the money I have earned while living in Malaysia to an account in a bank that is more widely available in SE Asia. I currently have an account at Public Bank because ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,241 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by idreamofdurian on 21/3/2011 at 12:35

Dressing in South-East Asia

Posted by flipflip on 20/3/2011 at 11:03

I am travelling to South-East Asia for 6 weeks in April/May. I will be going to Borneo & Vietnam with some friends and then doing a GAP short tour through Cambodia & Laos (solo). Just a little confused about the dress code and what I should be packing - I do not want to offend or look out of place for "showing too much leg" etc. I am planning to pack a few pairs of shorts (mid-thigh), a pair of 3/4 pants (for temples etc), a pair of jeans and a variety of tshirts/tank tops. I ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,333 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by busylizzy on 20/3/2011 at 17:33

Budget advice needed! 4 weeks yunnan, vietnam and thailand

Posted by s0908946 on 14/3/2011 at 00:10

I am planning on going travelling in febuary. I will already be in china so i just need advice on how much it would cost me to spend around 4 weeks travelling around yunnan, vietnam and thailand. I am a student so i am quite happy to live on cheap food and stay in cheap rooms but i also want enough money so that i can enjoy myself and maybe splash our here and there on tours etc. any advice would be amazing as i really dont have a clue where to start. also any advice on the best route would also ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,111 times, with no replies.

Best cooking schools / classes?

Posted by Moonbear on 12/3/2011 at 21:46

Hello all, I currently live in Malaysia and I've been doing my best to learn how to cook some of the local cuisine. I discovered a place called Bayan Indah which is described as a "culinary retreat". It's a wonderful place to take cooking classes. I highly recommend it. Now I am really excited about learning how to cook other Asian cuisines. I will be traveling through Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam in the upcoming months. I would greatly appreciate suggestions for good cooking ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,310 times, with no replies.

Itinerary Advice - Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam

Posted by jella82 on 3/7/2007 at 07:29

I have done a bit more research and below is our itinerary. We are into trekking, national parks, beaches, temples, history. We want to see the local culture not just the touristy bits. Any suggestions of where to spend extra time, must sees that I’ve left out or where to avoid would be great. We would also like to get some clothes made, is Hoi An the best place? We’re arriving in Singapore 22nd Sept, leaving Singapore 19th Dec. 1 wk Singapore – KL (Fly to Bangkok) Thailand ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 11,027 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by spectacular123 on 10/3/2011 at 16:51

Southern Laos or Northern Vietnam ???

Posted by kgroarke on 7/3/2011 at 00:09

Me and my girlfriend are planning on flying from bangkok to Cambodia where we will travel around Cambodia for a week or two and then travel across to Vietnam to Ho Chi Minh City. From here we plan on moving northwards up through Vietnam to Hue but we are unsure then where to go from here... We dont really want to back track anywhere along our trip as we plan on visiting thailand, cambodia, vietnam, laos and malaysia over a 3 and a half month trip (in that order travelling anti-clockwise). an ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,855 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by caseyprich on 8/3/2011 at 06:01

Itinery help for SE Asia

Posted by peejglynn on 2/3/2011 at 00:26

Duration 8weeks. Start: ChiangMai, early October. End: Singapore. Mid December Countries: Thailand (chiang mai & chiang rai only, have seen most of the rest of it) Laos Vietnam Cambodia I amheading to the above in October with the Girlfriend, we will have just arrivedfrom 3 weeks in India, hence flying into BKK and then get a connecting flightto Chiang Mai as we want to get as north as possible and work our way down allthe way to Phnon Phen/Ho Chi Ming and into Singapore. We have just ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,391 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by Thomas922 on 7/3/2011 at 16:05

Itinerary 1 Month - Backpacking Through Thailand Laos Cambodia and Vietnam... Advice Needed :)

Posted by reneejordan on 5/11/2010 at 04:41

Hi Everyone My boyfriend and I have booked flights to Bangkok next February to backpack through the 4 countries - Thailand, Laos, Vietnam & Cambodia in 1 month. We have been to Thailand twice before and this time want to head up north rather than the south. Basically our itinerary looks something like this: 31st JAN - Arrive to Bangkok early morning (Either train to chiang mai or fly later that day?) 1st- 4th FEB - Spend 3-4 days in Chiang Mai... maybe a cooking class and another few tours? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 23,301 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by trobs on 6/3/2011 at 19:15

Posted by alenoles31 on 2/3/2011 at 10:30

Thanks for your help in advance. Im arriving in Bangkok April 3rd at night and leaving April 24th in the morning. I REALLY want to go to Angkor Wat from April 5th-8th (including travel time) and go back to Thailand and head to Andaman Sea Islands then go to Gulf Islands for the new year and to spend the rest of our time. The airfare roundtrip is $550 US from BKK to Siem Reap. Its insane! Overland from BKK seems like a lot of time will be wasted in getting there and back. My friend doesnt really ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,265 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by alenoles31 on 5/3/2011 at 23:22

Help needed please! :)

Posted by cath2006uk on 3/3/2011 at 01:40

Hi Firstly, thank you for taking the time to read this. I am planning on leaving this month (March) till the end of May to travel around Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos. BUT didn't factor in the scorching weather and humidity/rainy season and now I'm stuck on whether to go or not. I was really hoping you guys could suggest the best route to take in the highlights of these countries at the most pleasant times. Thanks for any help you can provide Thanks in advance ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,123 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by caseyprich on 3/3/2011 at 13:09

Planning for South East Asian travel

Posted by Atomic440 on 2/3/2011 at 20:00

Hey everyone, I'm planning to head out to South-East Asia from Japan in a week or so. Me and two friends will be flying to Singapore, then plan to take the train for most of our travel before flying back to Singapore from Penang then on back to Japan. Our trip will last around 3 weeks. Our main stop-offs will be at Kuala Lumpur, Penang, Bangkok - with perhaps a visit to Phuket or Koh Samui before Bangkok but we are as yet undecided. I just want to know what to expect as we're going into thi ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,419 times, with no replies.

Thailand-Laos-Vietnam-Cambodia-Malaysia- 3 1/2 months...NEED HELP With a guidline Route?????!!

Posted by kgroarke on 12/2/2011 at 21:05

Hi Guys, Me and my girlfriend are flying to bangkok at the start of August 2011 where we intend on spending 3 and 1/2 months in SE Asia. We were advised by a travel agent that it would be best to travel the above route clockwise and so we are arriving in bangkok on 7th August and working in that order. We will be flying from Singapore to Oz in the middle of November. does this initial plan sound good?? Ive read alot of the posts and to be honest we are not all that familiar with a lot of the ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,494 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by peejglynn on 1/3/2011 at 05:02

which route

Posted by greektraveller on 26/2/2011 at 04:36

I am going to SE asia for 11 weeks. I wanna visit 1.thailand 2.laos 3.cambodia 4.vietnam 5.thailand islands I had a look at the 4 country itenary on this website. Do you think it would be wiser to skip southern laos since i have only 11 weeks and would like to spend at least 2-3 weeks in the thai islands at the end before i leave. bangkok - cambodia - southern vietnam - northern vietnam - nothern laos - northern thailand - bangkok - islands or do the trip of the 4 country itenary fly from han ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,755 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by greektraveller on 26/2/2011 at 18:46

Help! Itinerary check for a first time solo traveller!

Posted by y123 on 22/2/2011 at 23:20

Hi! Have to say this forum has been really helpful with my planning.I am so glad I've found this website. I'll be going on a solo trip around SE Asia, starting from BKK on the 10 March. From reading around the forum, March/April isn't a good time to visit N.Thailand/ Laos because of the smoke and dust. So, I've changed my itinerary to look like this: Thailand(1 week) - Cambodia(2 weeks) - Vietnam(3 weeks) - Laos(2 weeks) - Thailand (3 weeks) - Malysia and Singapore(3 weeks) The duration of ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,085 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by caseyprich on 25/2/2011 at 23:08

Winging It...

Posted by jonny_lewis7 on 16/2/2011 at 23:16

Me and my mate are looking to travel across SE Asia from September onwards, a long time away I know. Flying into Bangkok as it's the cheapest option from London (I believe, any alternatives welcome). We have no set plan when we get there, just to make our way through Thailand, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam until the funds dictate we leave. We both reckon we'll have around £4-5,000 so hoping to make it last for as long as possible, eating, sleeping and travelling for as little as possible. My quest ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,971 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by Thomas922 on 19/2/2011 at 18:52

Southeast Asia itinerary advise

Posted by dknee on 13/2/2011 at 02:39

Hello, My girlfriend and I are landing in Bangkok in early March and returning home from there in late May. Just looking for itinerary advice. We would like to see Northern and Southern Thailand as well as Loas and Cambodia and maybe a trip to vietnam and Indonesia. When is the best times for these places. I know its smoky in North Thailand in March and then its real hot and rainy. Would you suggest the south islands first or up north before the heat and rains come. Thanks. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,695 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by Thomas922 on 19/2/2011 at 18:48

10 weeks for Thailand, Laos, Vietnam & Cambodia

Posted by mlr on 3/8/2009 at 20:47

Hi Everyone! Myself and my partner (both in our 20's) are planning a 10 week trip round SE Asia at the end of this year and would like to see what you think of the rough itinerary i have put together (with alot of help from this website)!? I would appreciate advice on the number of nights we are planning on staying in each place (too many/not enough) & also if i have missed out anywhere that we should go!? We travel quite regularly but this year we have to decided to just do 1 big trip ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 9,663 times, with 26 replies. Last reply by ksen on 18/2/2011 at 12:54

Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia.

Posted by JT on 16/2/2011 at 14:48

We plan to start with one or two days in Saigon, before we take a nightbus to Rach Gia where we plan to take the first boat to Phu Quoc Island. We want to spend to or three days on the island, before heading back. From Rach Gia the plan is to travel the coast either by motorbike, train or bus (or maybe all of them... what to you think considered we don´t have so much time?), stopping in either Hoi An or Dong Ha where our plan is to cross the border to Laos, travel throught Savannakhet a ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,013 times, with no replies.

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page