Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

4 weeks in SEA - destinations & Itinerary advice

Posted by samwise90 on 19/10/2010 at 21:30

Hi all! I'm heading to south east asia for 4 weeks (mid jan - mid feb 2011) and need some help narrowing down places to spend the most time. I've booked flights already, in and out of Kuala Lumpur. I want to see as much as possible, but am well aware that 4 weeks is very little time to explore south east asia... I'm flexible with which countries i'll visit... but its out of malaysia, thailand, vietnam, laos & cambodia... first three would probably be top priority... I'm mainly interested in ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,350 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by eastwest on 20/10/2010 at 20:23

In the search for something different

Posted by norbit on 18/10/2010 at 09:22

Hi all, Long time reader, first time contributor, so go easy on me! First of all I must start with the obligatory compliment regarding the website – it’s great and already proven a valuable source of information. Picardin? Never head of the stuff until Travelfish. After years of saving, my girlfriend and I finally depart Australia early January and arrive SEA with no plans and alot of time. We expect to be travelling for around 12 – 18 months (SW China, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,878 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 19/10/2010 at 09:33

48 days in SE Asia Oct- Dec?

Posted by darcon on 19/10/2010 at 06:09

Hi all, My partner and I are flying into Ho Chi Minh start of next week and intend on travelling around until our departure date of the 14th of December from Singapore. I understand that it will be a full on trip as we want to squeeze in as much as possible! So far we are thinking of: HCM to Hanoi with a stopover in Hue for a couple of nights. Then travel into Laos for just a couple of days to Luang Prabang to meet a friend. Then hopefully fly into either Siem Reap or Phnom Penh and vi ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,360 times, with no replies.

do I need a power converter?

Posted by StreetSpirit13 on 25/9/2010 at 12:28

I am going to be traveling alone through SE Asia for 6 weeks starting Nov 1st. In my day to day life, I have my iPod on me all the time. It's just nice to have when on the bus or running errands around town. I think it would also be nice when traveling to have music on long travel days, but I was wondering if I should just leave it at home, as I don't want it lost or stolen. If I were to bring it, I would also need a converter to charge it, and I'm not sure if I want to deal with that. Also, I a ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 14,320 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by Captain_Bob on 6/10/2010 at 04:08

Iphone 4 in SE Asia?

Posted by chicoelnino on 29/9/2010 at 00:12

I plan on bringing my iphone 4 with me next year when travelling through SE Asia for 4/5 months. However, apart from using it as an internet device, I would like to know how would I be able(if possible) to use it as a phone as it takes a "micro sim" card instead of the normal sized sim? I know I could just chop up a normal sized sim and use that, but it may not work properly. So does anyone know what the availablilty of micro sims in SE Asia would be? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,967 times, with no replies.

Whats this?

Posted by chicoelnino on 28/9/2010 at 06:40

I came across this post in a thread about security when out of the room: "Now there is something I found which is incredibly useful, it's a metal cup which you put over the door knob when you leave your room, you put a large padlock through a couple of holes at the base of the cup and the metal loop on the padlock prevents the cup from being taken off by anyone but you. The upshot is that no one gets in your room but you, not the owner, no one, unless they've got a pair of bolt cutters or ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,625 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by eastwest on 28/9/2010 at 19:50

Biggest culture shock areas in Vietnam and Laos

Posted by johnkitchener on 24/9/2010 at 15:15

Biggest culture shock areas in Vietnam and Laos Hey, My girlfirend and I are travelling for 1 month through Vietnam and Loas. We want to base our trip on culture, natural landscapes and adventure. Does anyone recommend anywhere where culture is bursting from the seams or anywhere else that might take our fancy? Cheers, John Kitchener ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,212 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by travellingsarah on 25/9/2010 at 12:39

4 month trip through SE Asia, anyone wants to join?

Posted by hungry_traveller26 on 7/9/2010 at 17:08

Hi everyone! I am planing to go to Asia for a few months. Havent booked a flight yet, but I want to start in Bangkok dec 15th. Since I will celebrate christmas and NY in Asia, I was wondering where a cool place to go to would be. I was thinking either to go down to Krabi and do a little island hopping and beach partying for the holidays or going to Vietnam and start travelling. I have no itinarary, just four months and my hunger for adventure. Is anybody planning a similar route? Any suggestio ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,900 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by qosmios on 23/9/2010 at 06:57

60 days, four countries itinerary

Posted by travelman57 on 18/9/2010 at 13:50

Hello I have made a copy of the proposed itineray “Four countries” (“Before you leave” pull-down menu). I’m going to do this in 55-60 days (November - December). Here you will read 57 days. Please could you advise me about any change suggested about the days asssigned at each place. Thanks in advance (5) Bangkok (1) Ayutthaya (2) Sukhotai (4) Chiang Mai (0) Chiang Khong ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, (1) Huay Xai (1) Pakbeng (3) Luang Prabang (1) Vang Vieng (2) Vientiane (2) Tha K ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,077 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by travelman57 on 22/9/2010 at 20:45

Best guide book?

Posted by chicoelnino on 18/9/2010 at 21:22

Looking to pick up a good guide book about travel in SE Asia. Any recommendations on which one to get? Lonely planet I presume? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 15,763 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by exacto on 21/9/2010 at 09:37

Itinerary........Two Months. Where to start?

Posted by Catex1980 on 13/9/2010 at 04:22

Hi myself and my partner intend on arriving in Thailand in mid November. We intend to stay in asia for nine weeks. Works sorted, moneys sorted but now we feel that with time on our hands we should see more of south east asia than just Thailand alone. We do want to spend some time chilling on the beach but also we really want to get a taste of the culture and the people. Obviously we'll be spending christmas and new year away so want that to be extra special. Do you recommend Vietnam, Cambodia or ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,361 times, with 16 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 18/9/2010 at 23:36

Planning SE Asia trip - help appreciated!

Posted by chicoelnino on 17/9/2010 at 00:38

Hey guys/girls, Was recommended that I join up here as I've been told its the best source of info regarding Asia. Myself and my girlfriend are planning to do 3/4 months around SE Asia next June. I know its along way yet, but I like to have my research all in order First off, we are hoping to have €8,000 between the two of us to spend out there. Neither of us have ever been to Asia before so we don't really know what to expect. Both of us are well travelled and recently did 3 months in East ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,205 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by chicoelnino on 18/9/2010 at 04:57

First time traveller help and advice please :-) Route/places to see?

Posted by Christine27 on 14/9/2010 at 18:22

Hi, I’m currently planning my trip around SE Asia and would appreciate anyone’s comments… never been travelling before so would be helpful to know if I’m spending too much/too little in each place. Also, if there’s anywhere I should definitely include in my trip that I have missed out… 11th Dec- Arrive in Bangkok early 15th Dec- Travel down to South Thailand & Islands. Krabi, Phuket , Phi Phi islands, Ko Lanta, Ko Tao Not sure where to spend Christmas or if we should book some ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,049 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by goonistik on 17/9/2010 at 19:33

Safety for solo female traveller, 26

Posted by twiggy84 on 18/8/2010 at 07:20

Hi, This will be my first time to SE Asia (and i'm relatively new at backpacking to begin with). I wasn't worried but now everyone from back home has been telling me horror stories and warning me against travelling alone as a girl. I was planning to do about 2 months from Singapore, Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Phuket. I wasn't going to book anything in advance, more so just show up and get cheap accommodation (backpacker style!) and get info/travel advice from them to head to the next ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 10,204 times, with 32 replies. Last reply by Tennouji on 15/9/2010 at 21:42

Communicating In SE Asia/ Planning a trip for a newbie!

Posted by suzienichols on 5/9/2010 at 22:39

We are thinking of planning a trip to SE Asia and came across this wonderful site! Having planned a couple of independent trips to India (using the fantastic Indiamike site for info.) I am pretty enthusiastic about having a go at doing the same in SE Asia. However, India was easy, as a lot of Indians also speak english! At the moment the (very) sketchy plan is a three week trip in Jan/ Feb along the lines of: From Uk fly to Bangkok then stay for 2 or 3 days. Fly to Hanoi , Vietnam. Travel down ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,545 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by travellingsarah on 7/9/2010 at 11:57

Female Single Traveller

Posted by twiggie_toni on 1/9/2010 at 16:54

Hi guys, Just read a few posts on here and i thought id join and add my own for some advice and too maybe meet some people going and doing the same things as me as im going solo First stop is Full Moon Party In Koh Phangnan i will be with 3 friends here as they are coming for New Years Eve with me then 1 out of the 3 is staying for a month to do a spot of Tubing in Laos After that im booked on an organised tour with Real Gap for a month in Vietnam with a week of volunteering with children a ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,955 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by jasinorbit on 2/9/2010 at 14:22

Sorry, it's another HELP WITH ITINERARY post!

Posted by nataliesecret on 30/8/2010 at 22:50

I am sorry to add yet another post asking for help with itinerary-planning but I've searched the site and can't find what I'm looking for. Leaving this coming Saturday for a month long trip and would love to see some of Northern Thailand, Laos and Vietnam. I am happy to go without a real plan, but if we include Vietnam, I'll have to get a visa in Bangkok so would need to know this beforehand. Very brief itinerary below. Do you think we'll be rushed if we try to do all of this, should we perhaps ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,120 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by KazAussie on 31/8/2010 at 16:59

What the best route to visit Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Thailand from Manila?

Posted by mingkoy on 16/2/2009 at 20:00

This is gonna be my first ever solo travel outside the Philippines. I want to visit Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Thailand. Could anyone help me on the most straightforward route from Manila to these SEA countries? I'm most interested in culture and people, nature, and beautiful sceneries. Thanks a lot! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 16,435 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by mingkoy on 29/8/2010 at 10:29

Itinerary Thailand - Laos - North Vietnam - Help needed with Dien Bien Phu

Posted by Lawoat on 23/8/2010 at 23:12

Hi All, In 7 weeks time I will go to SEA again. Below you can find the details of my itinerary: Day 1: Arrive in Bangkok and take the train straight to Ayutthaya Day 2: Ayutthaya sightseeing + take the overnight sleeper to Nong Khai Day 3 - Day 9: Vientiane - VV -LP Day 10: LP - Muang Khoua Day 11: Muang Khoua - Dien Bien Phu Day 12: Dien Bien Phu - Sapa Afterwards we are heading to Hanoi, Halong Bay and back to Bangkok to go home. I am just wondering if anyone has recently used the ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,243 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by eastwest on 25/8/2010 at 18:29

Skip Laos? Itinary help, please!

Posted by Hemsi on 18/8/2010 at 23:08

Hi guys, so, we've booked our flights to Saigon Yeah, another holiday to SEA, it will be our fourth trip (2xThailand, 1xVietnam). So, this time we thought about "the missing essentials" in the region. So far, I found out that Saigon is not really the best starting/end point for our trip, flights are so expensive ... We've done the rest of Vietnam this May, so we preferably don't want to go to Hanoi ... We would like to see in 3 weeks: Luang Prabang Vientiane Angkor Wat (Siem Reap ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,989 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by Hemsi on 25/8/2010 at 02:56

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page