Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

60 days, four countries itinerary

Posted by travelman57 on 18/9/2010 at 13:50

Hello I have made a copy of the proposed itineray “Four countries” (“Before you leave” pull-down menu). I’m going to do this in 55-60 days (November - December). Here you will read 57 days. Please could you advise me about any change suggested about the days asssigned at each place. Thanks in advance (5) Bangkok (1) Ayutthaya (2) Sukhotai (4) Chiang Mai (0) Chiang Khong ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, (1) Huay Xai (1) Pakbeng (3) Luang Prabang (1) Vang Vieng (2) Vientiane (2) Tha K ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,210 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by travelman57 on 22/9/2010 at 20:45

Best guide book?

Posted by chicoelnino on 18/9/2010 at 21:22

Looking to pick up a good guide book about travel in SE Asia. Any recommendations on which one to get? Lonely planet I presume? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 16,086 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by exacto on 21/9/2010 at 09:37

Itinerary........Two Months. Where to start?

Posted by Catex1980 on 13/9/2010 at 04:22

Hi myself and my partner intend on arriving in Thailand in mid November. We intend to stay in asia for nine weeks. Works sorted, moneys sorted but now we feel that with time on our hands we should see more of south east asia than just Thailand alone. We do want to spend some time chilling on the beach but also we really want to get a taste of the culture and the people. Obviously we'll be spending christmas and new year away so want that to be extra special. Do you recommend Vietnam, Cambodia or ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,437 times, with 16 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 18/9/2010 at 23:36

Planning SE Asia trip - help appreciated!

Posted by chicoelnino on 17/9/2010 at 00:38

Hey guys/girls, Was recommended that I join up here as I've been told its the best source of info regarding Asia. Myself and my girlfriend are planning to do 3/4 months around SE Asia next June. I know its along way yet, but I like to have my research all in order First off, we are hoping to have €8,000 between the two of us to spend out there. Neither of us have ever been to Asia before so we don't really know what to expect. Both of us are well travelled and recently did 3 months in East ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,261 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by chicoelnino on 18/9/2010 at 04:57

First time traveller help and advice please :-) Route/places to see?

Posted by Christine27 on 14/9/2010 at 18:22

Hi, I’m currently planning my trip around SE Asia and would appreciate anyone’s comments… never been travelling before so would be helpful to know if I’m spending too much/too little in each place. Also, if there’s anywhere I should definitely include in my trip that I have missed out… 11th Dec- Arrive in Bangkok early 15th Dec- Travel down to South Thailand & Islands. Krabi, Phuket , Phi Phi islands, Ko Lanta, Ko Tao Not sure where to spend Christmas or if we should book some ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,135 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by goonistik on 17/9/2010 at 19:33

Safety for solo female traveller, 26

Posted by twiggy84 on 18/8/2010 at 07:20

Hi, This will be my first time to SE Asia (and i'm relatively new at backpacking to begin with). I wasn't worried but now everyone from back home has been telling me horror stories and warning me against travelling alone as a girl. I was planning to do about 2 months from Singapore, Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Phuket. I wasn't going to book anything in advance, more so just show up and get cheap accommodation (backpacker style!) and get info/travel advice from them to head to the next ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 10,314 times, with 32 replies. Last reply by Tennouji on 15/9/2010 at 21:42

Communicating In SE Asia/ Planning a trip for a newbie!

Posted by suzienichols on 5/9/2010 at 22:39

We are thinking of planning a trip to SE Asia and came across this wonderful site! Having planned a couple of independent trips to India (using the fantastic Indiamike site for info.) I am pretty enthusiastic about having a go at doing the same in SE Asia. However, India was easy, as a lot of Indians also speak english! At the moment the (very) sketchy plan is a three week trip in Jan/ Feb along the lines of: From Uk fly to Bangkok then stay for 2 or 3 days. Fly to Hanoi , Vietnam. Travel down ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,618 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by travellingsarah on 7/9/2010 at 11:57

Female Single Traveller

Posted by twiggie_toni on 1/9/2010 at 16:54

Hi guys, Just read a few posts on here and i thought id join and add my own for some advice and too maybe meet some people going and doing the same things as me as im going solo First stop is Full Moon Party In Koh Phangnan i will be with 3 friends here as they are coming for New Years Eve with me then 1 out of the 3 is staying for a month to do a spot of Tubing in Laos After that im booked on an organised tour with Real Gap for a month in Vietnam with a week of volunteering with children a ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,007 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by jasinorbit on 2/9/2010 at 14:22

Sorry, it's another HELP WITH ITINERARY post!

Posted by nataliesecret on 30/8/2010 at 22:50

I am sorry to add yet another post asking for help with itinerary-planning but I've searched the site and can't find what I'm looking for. Leaving this coming Saturday for a month long trip and would love to see some of Northern Thailand, Laos and Vietnam. I am happy to go without a real plan, but if we include Vietnam, I'll have to get a visa in Bangkok so would need to know this beforehand. Very brief itinerary below. Do you think we'll be rushed if we try to do all of this, should we perhaps ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,171 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by KazAussie on 31/8/2010 at 16:59

What the best route to visit Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Thailand from Manila?

Posted by mingkoy on 16/2/2009 at 20:00

This is gonna be my first ever solo travel outside the Philippines. I want to visit Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Thailand. Could anyone help me on the most straightforward route from Manila to these SEA countries? I'm most interested in culture and people, nature, and beautiful sceneries. Thanks a lot! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 16,687 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by mingkoy on 29/8/2010 at 10:29

Itinerary Thailand - Laos - North Vietnam - Help needed with Dien Bien Phu

Posted by Lawoat on 23/8/2010 at 23:12

Hi All, In 7 weeks time I will go to SEA again. Below you can find the details of my itinerary: Day 1: Arrive in Bangkok and take the train straight to Ayutthaya Day 2: Ayutthaya sightseeing + take the overnight sleeper to Nong Khai Day 3 - Day 9: Vientiane - VV -LP Day 10: LP - Muang Khoua Day 11: Muang Khoua - Dien Bien Phu Day 12: Dien Bien Phu - Sapa Afterwards we are heading to Hanoi, Halong Bay and back to Bangkok to go home. I am just wondering if anyone has recently used the ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,306 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by eastwest on 25/8/2010 at 18:29

Skip Laos? Itinary help, please!

Posted by Hemsi on 18/8/2010 at 23:08

Hi guys, so, we've booked our flights to Saigon Yeah, another holiday to SEA, it will be our fourth trip (2xThailand, 1xVietnam). So, this time we thought about "the missing essentials" in the region. So far, I found out that Saigon is not really the best starting/end point for our trip, flights are so expensive ... We've done the rest of Vietnam this May, so we preferably don't want to go to Hanoi ... We would like to see in 3 weeks: Luang Prabang Vientiane Angkor Wat (Siem Reap ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,101 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by Hemsi on 25/8/2010 at 02:56

Really stuck and need some help!!

Posted by joanne1981 on 21/8/2010 at 01:55

Hi I am in the final stages of planning for my trip with my hubby in December and I am really stuck in making a decision on our route. I have changed my mind so many times and really need some advise. We arrive on the 4th December and depart on the 2nd January. We have to be in Krabi by the 23rd so we basically have 18/19 days to cover Laos and Cambodia. We are planning on spending approx 7 days in Cambodia and the rest of the time in Laos. I was thinking of taking the train to Vientian ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,895 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by joanne1981 on 21/8/2010 at 20:50

Must see Places

Posted by jnliten on 14/8/2010 at 01:55

Hello all, Just wanted to say that this site is amazing with all the helpful information and people. I was planning a trip to SE asia and stumbled on here. Been just lurking and reading the different topics and its been pretty helpful for my upcoming trip. I only decided I wanted to do this trip two weeks ago, so I have nothing set in stone yet besides the countries I'm planning to visit and the basic route I'll be taking. I’m planning to land in Bangkok then head north and crossing over an ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,688 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by eastwest on 19/8/2010 at 14:15

Malaria with a twist (pregnancy planning)

Posted by panlou on 15/8/2010 at 22:11

I know malaria is a very common topic, but despite all the threads I have read I still havent understood what the verdict is in relation to women planning to get pregnant. Specifically, my understanding is that it is not advisable for pregnant women nor for those breastfeeding to take antimalarials nor to travel to high risk areas. However I cannot figure out how long after taking the various antimalarials or returning from the suspect areas is it safe to try and become pregnant. Any feedback ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,993 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by SBE on 16/8/2010 at 22:57

Laos & Vietnam - US $ OK?

Posted by jeffpruett on 31/7/2010 at 03:41

Returning to SE Asia for 3 weeks this coming December. I was in Cambodia last year and was pleasantly surprised that you could get US currency from ATM's and that all merchants accepted US Dollars. This year I'm going to Laos and Vietnam. Do merchants prefer US Dollars? If so, should I make arrangements to take dollars into these countries, etc. Many thanks for any help with this, ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,457 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by wanderingcat on 15/8/2010 at 20:14

Order of route through Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam... how best to end the trip?

Posted by estelle8 on 3/8/2010 at 20:29

Hi, Going to Thailand, Cambodia, Laos & Vietnam in mid February 2011 and would like advice on basic order of the trip - not the specifics of sights as I'm pretty sure on those. I've thought of 2 basic orders and can't decide which is best overall. Pretty sure I want to start in Southern Thailand to orientate myself with backpacking (first time lone traveller). Route 1 - Bangkok > (overland) Thailand: Southern Islands > (fly) Siem Reap & region > (fly) > Vientiane & ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 9,102 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by eastwest on 15/8/2010 at 10:56

5 month Itinerary feedback. Thanks!

Posted by travellite on 31/7/2010 at 00:28

Hey everyone, first things first, I love this site and all of the user input!! So I'm starting my 5 month SEA trip in December and was hoping to get some itinerary feedback. My itinerary is pretty general because once I'm in a region I just want to try and go with the flow of things. Thanks ahead of time for the feedback! So coupled with a few flights, trains, buses, ferries, this is what I've come up with: Dec 9 - Arrive in Bangkok Dec 10-19 - Bangkok and any Surrounding areas Dec 20-Jan 8 ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,771 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by busylizzy on 11/8/2010 at 04:01

Buying a mobile phone - Thailand or Malaysia?

Posted by appro on 9/8/2010 at 13:18

I'm on my way from Thailand to Malaysia. I want to buy a cheap (maybe second hand) mobile phone, which I intend to use in Australia. Would it be cheaper to buy this in Thailand or Malaysia? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,353 times, with no replies.

my one and only tip

Posted by eastwest on 6/8/2010 at 17:11

I thought it is time to add something beyond the usual practical advise about planes, trains and buses. Would be interesting to read other's ideas as well. I noticed that many people just stick to their guidebook and main sights while they would also like to experience some local things etc. Normally people then tend to go to places that are not in a guidebook (and brag about it for the rest of their trip). My experience is that it doesn't need to be so difficult to experience something out of ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,001 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by MADMAC on 7/8/2010 at 10:58

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page