Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Laos & Vietnam - US $ OK?

Posted by jeffpruett on 31/7/2010 at 03:41

Returning to SE Asia for 3 weeks this coming December. I was in Cambodia last year and was pleasantly surprised that you could get US currency from ATM's and that all merchants accepted US Dollars. This year I'm going to Laos and Vietnam. Do merchants prefer US Dollars? If so, should I make arrangements to take dollars into these countries, etc. Many thanks for any help with this, ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,415 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by wanderingcat on 15/8/2010 at 20:14

Order of route through Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam... how best to end the trip?

Posted by estelle8 on 3/8/2010 at 20:29

Hi, Going to Thailand, Cambodia, Laos & Vietnam in mid February 2011 and would like advice on basic order of the trip - not the specifics of sights as I'm pretty sure on those. I've thought of 2 basic orders and can't decide which is best overall. Pretty sure I want to start in Southern Thailand to orientate myself with backpacking (first time lone traveller). Route 1 - Bangkok > (overland) Thailand: Southern Islands > (fly) Siem Reap & region > (fly) > Vientiane & ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 9,012 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by eastwest on 15/8/2010 at 10:56

5 month Itinerary feedback. Thanks!

Posted by travellite on 31/7/2010 at 00:28

Hey everyone, first things first, I love this site and all of the user input!! So I'm starting my 5 month SEA trip in December and was hoping to get some itinerary feedback. My itinerary is pretty general because once I'm in a region I just want to try and go with the flow of things. Thanks ahead of time for the feedback! So coupled with a few flights, trains, buses, ferries, this is what I've come up with: Dec 9 - Arrive in Bangkok Dec 10-19 - Bangkok and any Surrounding areas Dec 20-Jan 8 ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,738 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by busylizzy on 11/8/2010 at 04:01

Buying a mobile phone - Thailand or Malaysia?

Posted by appro on 9/8/2010 at 13:18

I'm on my way from Thailand to Malaysia. I want to buy a cheap (maybe second hand) mobile phone, which I intend to use in Australia. Would it be cheaper to buy this in Thailand or Malaysia? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,285 times, with no replies.

my one and only tip

Posted by eastwest on 6/8/2010 at 17:11

I thought it is time to add something beyond the usual practical advise about planes, trains and buses. Would be interesting to read other's ideas as well. I noticed that many people just stick to their guidebook and main sights while they would also like to experience some local things etc. Normally people then tend to go to places that are not in a guidebook (and brag about it for the rest of their trip). My experience is that it doesn't need to be so difficult to experience something out of ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,964 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by MADMAC on 7/8/2010 at 10:58

Yet more itinerary help pleaseee

Posted by andrea13 on 30/7/2010 at 18:46

Hello all, I've put together a basic itinerary with ALOT of help from travelfish. Was just wondering if anyone would be kind enough to have a look over and point out any blaring mistakes I've made/ must see sights that I've missed. Thanks so much Bangkok (3 nights) Sukhothai (2nights) Pai (2 nights) Chiang Mai (5 nights) Travel via slow boat (3 nights) Luang Prabang (4 nights) Vang Vieng (2 nights) Vientiane (2 nights) Overnight bus to hanoi (DOES THIS EXIST?!) Hanoi (2 nights) Hue (3 nights) H ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,051 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by busylizzy on 6/8/2010 at 05:14

Is it feasible??

Posted by joanne1981 on 4/8/2010 at 20:35

I'm hoping someone may be able to share their expertise with me. I arrive into Bangkok on the 4th December at 15.30 and I am hoping to catch the overnight train from Bangkok to Vietiane at 20.00. Has anyone done this before and can anyone advise where I could pre-book our tickets and if it would be possible to catch the train in the time given? Thanks, Joanne ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,935 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by Tilapia on 5/8/2010 at 05:24

Itinerary Help!!

Posted by Trev71 on 29/7/2010 at 19:08

We are planning our second trip around south east asia for 4/5 weeks and are looking a bit of help / advice. Last year we travelled from Ho Chi Minh to Bangkok in 4 weeks stopping at Chau Doc Phnom Penh , Siem Reap , Battambang , Ko Chang . We loved it especially Battambang and Phnom Penh and Ko Chang – not keen on Siem Reap or Bangkok but loved Angkor Wat. We were thinking about Laos / Northern Vietnam and Cambodia this time has anyone any ideas for routes. We would like to use ov ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,733 times, with no replies.

Trip to Cambodia, Laos and Thailand

Posted by JoggaPogga on 19/7/2010 at 03:15

My friend and I are planning a trip to Cambodia this christmas, to visit his sister who's working with a project in Siem Reap . He's staying there from 15th of December, and I will arrive at 19th. After christmas, we are planning to travel to Laos, and a few days at Ko Chang in Thailand. If anyone has been there, we would like some recommandations. Any other places we should visit instead in Laos, anything we should focus more on etc. Here's our plan: 19-25: Siem Reap 25: Flight to Vientane ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,956 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by exacto on 22/7/2010 at 10:00

A holiday after graduating from uni and before starting a 'real' with itinerary please?

Posted by sophierose87 on 13/7/2010 at 15:53

I'm set to graduate from veterinary school in early December. Unfortunately its a good idea for me to start a job in january or at least early february so i don't forget everything i've learnt! I definately want to visit Cambodia and the Angkor temples, and definately want to go to Chiang Mai (desperately want to visit the Elephant Nature Park). I've also entertained the idea of crossing over into Laos. Rough itinerary? For 5 weeks... I figured I'd fly into Bangkok as its cheap. I am open ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,802 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by luketendo on 19/7/2010 at 03:04

Last 5 weeks of freedom! please help with my itinerary - Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos,

Posted by Becca on 13/7/2010 at 08:42

Hi there, My boyfriend and I are off on a 5 week, 35 day trip to South East Asia. Im a medical student and am trying to make the most of my freedom before I descend into a hospital ward never to be seen again!!Im pretty sure thats why my itinerary is way too full, but as I'm also a complete backpacking novice so i would love some help and advice, is this even feasible? The plan of attack... Day 1 and 2 - arrive bangkok, acclimatise, sightsee... Day 3 - bus to Poipet border, and on to Siem Re ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,205 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by hamilove on 14/7/2010 at 05:11

Budget Accomodations in South Korea

Posted by ima221 on 30/6/2010 at 22:01

I apologize if I am posting this in the wrong spot, as I could not find where to ask questions about Korea. I am going to SE Asia for 3.5 months, and will be spending the first 2 weeks in South Korea. I am concerned about the prices there compared to the rest of my trip. Has anyone stayed in a cheap place that they'd recommend in South Korea? Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,513 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by dano_b on 1/7/2010 at 08:29

how much would a 3-4 week trip to vietnam, cambodia, laos cost?

Posted by anjooo on 22/6/2010 at 19:02

hi there! im planning my first solo backpacking (3-4 weeks) trip to the 3 places mentioned just wondering how much would it ALL cost (e.i. transpo, food, accomodation, fees, guide, tour packages,etc...).im not much of a party person, prefers eco-adventure and cultural trips and not really picky with food and lodging as long as it's clean and secure..would appreciate your tips/feedback on this. thank u very much! -anj- ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 7,097 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 24/6/2010 at 11:47

One week, Cambodia, Laos, or Vietnam?

Posted by RonnyK on 26/8/2009 at 04:10

Hey guys !! I'm planning a trip to one of the above mentioned countries. I'll be going in Dec ('09), and a week is all the time I have. I know it's not enough but I still want to make the most out of my trip. Am not sure which country to visit. I'd like to go to all three but .... Anyway, can you please suggest/recommend one of them and why? Thanks for making my decision easier. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 8,500 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by elscapist on 23/6/2010 at 15:09

First Time Lone FemaleTraveller - Help needed please

Posted by Joannacxxx on 26/5/2010 at 22:57

Hi, I am hoping to do a 48 day tour next year with Tucan Travel, starting in Hanoi and ending in Singapore. The tour will end mid October and would like to travel on my own for a further 6 weeks before returing home. Not really sue where to head from Singapore,and where will be nice weather wise mid october. Was thinking Oz, but then thought maybe better off staying in Asia?? Any suggestions on where to go would be really useful, thanks. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,453 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by sidewinder on 20/6/2010 at 18:12

26 days in SE Asia

Posted by NorwegianP on 10/6/2010 at 01:13

Hi! We are two Norwegian guys planning out our trip to Asia in mid-July - August. At our disposal is 26 days, and since we both are students and funds are somewhat restricted, we've decided to start and stop the trip in Bangkok, Thailand because the flight price is the cheapest to this airport. From here we are a bit blank, but have been checking out the option to go something like Vientiane (Laos) Savannakhet Hoi An (Vietnam) Nha Trang Ho Chi Minh/Saigon Phnom Penh (Cambodia) Siem Reap And the ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,970 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by NorwegianP on 18/6/2010 at 17:19

4 Week Itinerary for Indochina and possibly Thailand

Posted by anna101 on 18/6/2010 at 04:51

Hi, Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Before we (3 women in early 20s) start our backpacking trip we'll be volunteering for 4 weeks in a village north of Hanoi . We're hoping to explore Hanoi itself in the afternoons (take a cookery class, do yoga by the lake, visit Uncle Ho etc). We will also have 3 free weekends and hope to: * Visit Halong Bay, sleep on a junk * Do a homestay near Sapa OR Mai Chau * Stay in a Buddhist monastery 'in the mountains near Hanoi' - more information o ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,656 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by travellingsarah on 18/6/2010 at 11:00

21 days to kill

Posted by gots2travel on 17/6/2010 at 17:07

I've just got done doing northern thailand, laos, vietnam and cambodia and now have an extra 21 days to kill before returning to the islands of southern Thailand. I'm thinking of heading to Borneo in Malaysia and Bali in Indonesia for some diving and surfing but not sure if that will fill up 21 days completely. I really want to go to sipadan in borneo to dive but beyond that I'm flexible. More or less just looking for some adventure travel outside of typical sightseeing. Any recommendations? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,321 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by SBE on 18/6/2010 at 03:01

Souther Vietnam or Laos?

Posted by kerenren on 2/6/2010 at 00:59

My husband and I are going arriving in Bangkok on July 26 2010 and leaving from Hanoi on Aug 18 (a little over 3-weeks). We are planning on spending around 10 days on the Thai Islands (probably phi phi and pagnan). From the islands, I don't know if we should go: Chiang Mai to Laos to Hanoi OR Saigon to Hoi An to Pho Quoc islands and the up to Hanoi Any ideas?!?!?! We don't want to feel very rushed but we do want to experience different places. We will mostly be flying to save time. T ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,199 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by caseyprich on 3/6/2010 at 07:03

Yet another itinerary...6.5 weeks Thailand/Laos/Vietnam/Cambodia

Posted by woodstock8 on 26/5/2010 at 23:40

Hi everyone, Sorry, yet another itinerary to check please . I'm travelling to SE Asia for the first time in Nov/Dec this year with a friend and have struggled to fit things in to 6.5 weeks as there's so much I want to see! Definitely want to see a few temples, do some trekking, try out some cooking and like lots of beach time too! I have tried to appreciate travelling times/distances. Bangkok (1 night) Sukhothai (2 nights) Chiang Mai (4 nights, inc hill trek) Travel from Chiang Mai - Luang P ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,366 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by caseyprich on 1/6/2010 at 10:01

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page