Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

One week, Cambodia, Laos, or Vietnam?

Posted by RonnyK on 26/8/2009 at 04:10

Hey guys !! I'm planning a trip to one of the above mentioned countries. I'll be going in Dec ('09), and a week is all the time I have. I know it's not enough but I still want to make the most out of my trip. Am not sure which country to visit. I'd like to go to all three but .... Anyway, can you please suggest/recommend one of them and why? Thanks for making my decision easier. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 8,464 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by elscapist on 23/6/2010 at 15:09

First Time Lone FemaleTraveller - Help needed please

Posted by Joannacxxx on 26/5/2010 at 22:57

Hi, I am hoping to do a 48 day tour next year with Tucan Travel, starting in Hanoi and ending in Singapore. The tour will end mid October and would like to travel on my own for a further 6 weeks before returing home. Not really sue where to head from Singapore,and where will be nice weather wise mid october. Was thinking Oz, but then thought maybe better off staying in Asia?? Any suggestions on where to go would be really useful, thanks. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,436 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by sidewinder on 20/6/2010 at 18:12

26 days in SE Asia

Posted by NorwegianP on 10/6/2010 at 01:13

Hi! We are two Norwegian guys planning out our trip to Asia in mid-July - August. At our disposal is 26 days, and since we both are students and funds are somewhat restricted, we've decided to start and stop the trip in Bangkok, Thailand because the flight price is the cheapest to this airport. From here we are a bit blank, but have been checking out the option to go something like Vientiane (Laos) Savannakhet Hoi An (Vietnam) Nha Trang Ho Chi Minh/Saigon Phnom Penh (Cambodia) Siem Reap And the ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,956 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by NorwegianP on 18/6/2010 at 17:19

4 Week Itinerary for Indochina and possibly Thailand

Posted by anna101 on 18/6/2010 at 04:51

Hi, Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Before we (3 women in early 20s) start our backpacking trip we'll be volunteering for 4 weeks in a village north of Hanoi . We're hoping to explore Hanoi itself in the afternoons (take a cookery class, do yoga by the lake, visit Uncle Ho etc). We will also have 3 free weekends and hope to: * Visit Halong Bay, sleep on a junk * Do a homestay near Sapa OR Mai Chau * Stay in a Buddhist monastery 'in the mountains near Hanoi' - more information o ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,626 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by travellingsarah on 18/6/2010 at 11:00

21 days to kill

Posted by gots2travel on 17/6/2010 at 17:07

I've just got done doing northern thailand, laos, vietnam and cambodia and now have an extra 21 days to kill before returning to the islands of southern Thailand. I'm thinking of heading to Borneo in Malaysia and Bali in Indonesia for some diving and surfing but not sure if that will fill up 21 days completely. I really want to go to sipadan in borneo to dive but beyond that I'm flexible. More or less just looking for some adventure travel outside of typical sightseeing. Any recommendations? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,309 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by SBE on 18/6/2010 at 03:01

Souther Vietnam or Laos?

Posted by kerenren on 2/6/2010 at 00:59

My husband and I are going arriving in Bangkok on July 26 2010 and leaving from Hanoi on Aug 18 (a little over 3-weeks). We are planning on spending around 10 days on the Thai Islands (probably phi phi and pagnan). From the islands, I don't know if we should go: Chiang Mai to Laos to Hanoi OR Saigon to Hoi An to Pho Quoc islands and the up to Hanoi Any ideas?!?!?! We don't want to feel very rushed but we do want to experience different places. We will mostly be flying to save time. T ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,177 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by caseyprich on 3/6/2010 at 07:03

Yet another itinerary...6.5 weeks Thailand/Laos/Vietnam/Cambodia

Posted by woodstock8 on 26/5/2010 at 23:40

Hi everyone, Sorry, yet another itinerary to check please . I'm travelling to SE Asia for the first time in Nov/Dec this year with a friend and have struggled to fit things in to 6.5 weeks as there's so much I want to see! Definitely want to see a few temples, do some trekking, try out some cooking and like lots of beach time too! I have tried to appreciate travelling times/distances. Bangkok (1 night) Sukhothai (2 nights) Chiang Mai (4 nights, inc hill trek) Travel from Chiang Mai - Luang P ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,340 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by caseyprich on 1/6/2010 at 10:01

Thailand to Cambodia Help!!! Please!!!

Posted by dreiman on 24/5/2010 at 20:49

Dear Forum, On June 21st of this year, my girlfriend and I would like to travel from Ko Samui , Thailand to Phnom Penh, Cambodia (or Angkor). However, given the recent developments in Bangkok, we are quite nervous to travel through Bangkok on the way to Cambodia. Is there any way to get to Cambodia from Ko Samui avoiding Bankok? Thank you so much for any help you can offer! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,158 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by hamilove on 1/6/2010 at 07:09

Traveling from Chiang Mai to Chiang Khong and Houei Xai (Laos)

Posted by Russian on 1/6/2010 at 02:51

Good-day, Please help me sort my itinerary out. How would I go about catching a bus from Chiang Mai across the border to Houei Xai? My final destination is the Gibbon Reserve development in Laos. What bus terminal will I need to go to in Chiang Mai? According to my map, there are at least 2 bus terminals: Chang Phueak and Arcade. What bus should I catch? Will I need to buy tickets in advance? Is there a bus schedule somewhere online? Thank you very much! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,702 times, with no replies.

Starting SE Asia travel September/October, advice needed please..

Posted by Steve81 on 26/5/2010 at 03:22

Hi, just after a bit of advice if possible.. I've recently had to change my travel plans (redundancy), and will now be heading to South East Asia in September rather than November as I had oiginally planned. I plan to spend about 8 - 10 months exploring as much as possible (but not too quickly) and I'm not really bothered about going back on myself a bit etc. I've heard (perhaps incorrectly!) that september and Ocotober are not great months for SE Asia due to the rain, including the Southern Th ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 7,073 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by Mexicano31 on 27/5/2010 at 05:19

safety today in

Posted by Patrickx8 on 17/5/2010 at 08:03

Safety today in Thailand Still safe at Bangkok airport? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,749 times, with no replies.

Itinerary review - Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia

Posted by wanderlust2010 on 17/5/2010 at 05:03

Hi all, I'm planning a trip to SE Asia in June/July and am having a real problem deciding where to go! I thought I had it all sorted, but have now completely rearranged my plans - mostly to avoid Bangkok. I'm leaving my job in June and have exactly 5 weeks to travel - first 2 weeks solo and the rest of the trip with a friend. Would you mind providing some feedback on the itinerary below? 23-Jun Arrive in Singapore (late) 24-Jun Singapore - Ko Samui 25-Jun Ko Samui - Ko Pha Ngan 26-Jun Ko Pha ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,786 times, with no replies.

Staying Dry- Rain Jacket? Poncho?

Posted by AdamZee on 16/5/2010 at 02:09

I am having the hardest time deciding what would be the best option as far as staying dry in the rain. I prefer jackets over ponchos but I am worried about the heat and "muggyness" while in eastern thailand, cambodia, and vietnam during the end of June through to August. I want to get opinions since I am having trouble finding what everyone likes. I have seen a couple rain shells from REI and Arcteryx, one Gore-tex and the eVent waterproof liners. Just not sure if it is worth 200-30 ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 9,128 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by AdamZee on 17/5/2010 at 03:51

Help! 4 week itinerary: thailand-vietnam-loas

Posted by kerenren on 11/5/2010 at 23:09

My husband and I are taking a 4 week honeymoon to Southeast Asia mid July-mid August. The travel books make everything sounds amazing and I just can't seem to choose where to go and what to do! We're flying into Bangkok, then want to go north (chiang mai area) then to Laos and Vietnam and end up in the Thai beaches (were thinking about ko pagnan and ko phi phi). We want experience the culture, trekking, wandering and lots of chilling. What are good places to visit in Northern Thailan ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,221 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by MADMAC on 12/5/2010 at 17:14

4 weeks in vietnam/laos/cambodia

Posted by daz on 11/5/2010 at 17:29

Hi guys, i just signed up to the site and i must say im quite impressed by the helpfulness of the members here! makes me even more excited for my trip in Nov-Dec 2010. There are 2 of us travelling, arriving and departing from Ho Chi Minh. we are in our early 20s and are interested in seeing cu chi tunnels, vang vieng (anywhere else you guys might suggest..). We plan on travelling by train (plane possibly) from saigon to hanoi, through to laos and down into cambodia. I know there isnt ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,629 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by chrispyrolls on 11/5/2010 at 18:58

Here we go again! 7-8wks Sept-Oct Thailand/Laos/Cambodia

Posted by bails87 on 6/5/2010 at 18:47

I know it's been done a million times before, but hey ho. So here's my plan for a 7-8 week trip from early September to late October: Fly into Bangkok - Not long here, just a day or 2 while I sort the train for the next leg. -Travel to Ko Tao -Diving on Ko Tao (4 day course, so maybe a week here) -Travel to Ko Pha Ngan - hopefully catch a party full/half/dark moon, don't really mind -Back to mainland -Kanchanaburi -Chiang Mai -Pai (maybe) -Chiang Rai (maybe) -C ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,319 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by bails87 on 10/5/2010 at 21:20

Vietnam OR Cambodia??

Posted by andrea13 on 7/5/2010 at 15:27

Hi guys! I'm planning on doing the usual Thailand/Laos/Vietnam/Cambodia route. I really cant decide whether to spend longer in Vietnam or Cambodia though? I want to see Angkor Wat but im also keen to avoid tourists (obviously impossible there) and to visit some lesser known sites. Can anyone reccomend one country over the other? Or where to spend more time? Thanks so much, this website is actually brilliant! x ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,206 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by andrea13 on 10/5/2010 at 01:35

4 weeks Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia

Posted by babiguling on 13/4/2010 at 08:13

Hi I'm going to be in SE Asia for about a month. I'm flying in to Hanoi and then out of Saigon. I wanted to know if a month is sufficient time to go from Vietnam to Laos, then Thailand, then Cambodia, then back into Vietnam to fly out of Saigon. The main attracitons I want to see are Halong Bay for a couple days, Luang Prabang, Bangkok, Siem Reap and Angkor Wat, and then Saigon. Is a month sufficient time to do this overland or will I most likely be traveling every other day? Any sugges ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 7,404 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by JavaJunkie on 4/5/2010 at 10:04

Itinerary Advice

Posted by Vangrrl79 on 2/5/2010 at 07:39

Solo Travel gal here looking for your ideas! After spending 5 weeks in Southern Africa and 5 weeks in Thailand I am moving on to the rest of the region and want your input on my itinerary. As much as it looks over planned its just an outline and really more for me the factor in travel times then destination stays and I'm planning on going with the flow and seeing what happens ... Comments, ideas, suggestions PLEASE! Aug 19: Depart Bangkok for Ayutthaya , Thailand Aug 20: Ayuttha ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,890 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by Vangrrl79 on 4/5/2010 at 09:45

Two month trip through Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia. Any advice?

Posted by o_kaija on 2/5/2010 at 06:02

We have a rough itinerary for a 2 month trip through Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia. Any advice or feedback would be appreciated. Hanoi - Nihn Bihn - Halong City - Cat Ba Island - Bac Ha - Sapa - Dien Bien Phu - Phongsali - Udomxai - Luang Nam Tha - Luang Prabang - Phonsavan - Vang Vieng - Vientiane - Siem Reap - Battambang - Phnom Penh - kampot - Ha Tien - Phu Quoc Island - Rach Gia - Vinh Long - Ho chi Minh City Would it be easier to travel to Cat Ba ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,767 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by travelhungryboy on 4/5/2010 at 03:45

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page