Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Homestay suggestions

Posted by hamilove on 2/1/2010 at 07:11

Hey all another question for everyone!! we are travelling bangkok through cambodia and up vietnem in may/june (more details and where really keen on a nice homestay somewhere along the way to get a feel for the real south east asia life. Anybody have any recomendations that would fit in along the way? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,981 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by MADMAC on 9/1/2010 at 11:25

SE Asia in March or late April->May

Posted by George_S on 7/1/2010 at 19:05

Hi there, I will be travelling to SE Asia some time between March and June but would like some advice about the weather. The original plan was to spend five weeks in the region from March 3rd onwards before moving on to Australia and NZ. However, I'm beginning to think (if it's possible with flights) to switch our itinerary around a bit to accommodate better weather in both regions - spending March - April in NZ Australia and May in SE Asia. Considering how hot and dusty it can get in ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,318 times, with no replies.

4 month VERY general SE Asia Itinerary

Posted by jmcentee on 6/1/2010 at 14:03

I have just started on my SE Asia trip, but have very little planned as I left Australia just before my visa expired and didn't have much time to prepare. I am hoping to travel to Indo, Singapore, Philippines, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam (?), and Malaysia. I am currently in Bali and am happy to stay here a few days while I enjoy some reading of my LP and fill in some holes on my itinerary. So far... Indonesia: Bali, Lombok, Java I booked an ongoing ticket on AirAsia to Kushing in Bor ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,450 times, with no replies.

Help please!! Route needed.

Posted by nips2689 on 21/12/2009 at 04:40

Hi, I wondered whether anyone can help me, I'm flying out to Bangkok on 2nd April, and have no idea what route to take at all! Someone please help! I want to do Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam and islands. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,658 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by Tilapia on 3/1/2010 at 07:23

Thailand Cambodia Vietnam and Cambodia. In just under 7 weeks

Posted by ekitch on 22/12/2009 at 18:55

Hi I am traveling to Bangkok with my sister in July next year. We have just under seven weeks to (hopefully) see Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos. Was wondering whether anyone could give us any feedback on our route (positive or negative!!) Thanks Bangkok (1 day and 1 night) Siem Reap (2 full days 3 nights) Battambang (1 full day 2 nights) Phnom Penh (1 full day 2 nights) Chau Doc (1 full day 2 nights) HCMC (2 full days 3 nights) Mui Ne (1 full day 2 nights) ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,444 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by ekitch on 3/1/2010 at 01:14

Which itinerary

Posted by marie79 on 27/12/2009 at 17:27

Hi everyone, My husband and I will be traveling to Indochina for 10 weeks from January till March. Arriving in BKK and leaving from BKK We still don't know where to start the journey. Shall we start from BBK, then Chiang Mai , Laos, Vietnam from North to South, Cambodia and then back to BKK from Siem Reap OR the other way around. i.e. from BKK to Siem Reap, South Vietnam to North Vietnam, then fly from Hanoi to Vientiane and then Chiang Mai to BKK. Is there any advantage doing this i ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,604 times, with no replies.

Our first trip to Indochina! Help with plans?

Posted by fifchuck on 20/12/2009 at 23:18

My wife and I have our flights booked to Saigon on Jan 16 until February 2. Problem is, we don't have much else planned because everything looks so great we're having a terribly hard time prioritizing our wants for this trip. Originally, we were naively hoping to see Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, and Thailand but we're realizing that with 16 days, we just don't have that time. We don't want to be flying every other day. So, can anyone help with suggestions that we definitely shouldn't mis ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,772 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by fifchuck on 21/12/2009 at 01:32

Mekong Going to Heck in a Handbasket

Posted by somsai on 19/12/2009 at 08:14

Sounds like the reporting is from the Golden Triangle on the Thai side, also Laos down by Khone falls, and the delta in Vietnam, with a phone call to Milton Osborne thrown in to add authenticity. Hope the link works. By Thomas Fuller NYT December 09 My only quible. >>The cargo +(boats)+ passes through increasingly populated areas, erstwhile sleepy cities in Laos that are now teeming with tourists and defying the economic ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,654 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by MADMAC on 21/12/2009 at 00:35

Two Deranged Students do The Big One ... Backwards!

Posted by toxic8 on 22/10/2009 at 09:58

Hello everyone! Caveat Emptor: This is a long one. But: Endure, and in enduring grow strong! To begin, let us get acquainted. Allow me to allow you to peer into our queer and slightly deranged modus operandi ... My girlfriend and I (24 and 21) will be arriving at Hanoi on the 23rd of December at 1am! She's teacher (almost) and I'm either a lawyer, computer geek, or some kind of writer (haven't decided yet). A sense of adventure, Anthony Bourdain, muay thai, and some weird ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,472 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 15/12/2009 at 17:32

Dokmai Garden - Secret Garden Getaway in Chiang Mai

Posted by MissBonavita on 13/12/2009 at 15:43

Dokmai Garden is the perfect escape for the discerning tourist who wishes to escape the hustle and bustle of downtown Chiang Mai. It is just 25 minute drive from Central Chiang Mai, and yet it feels like you are a world away! The garden itself would be perfect for the avid gardener, or the curious new comer looking for some information on local flora. There are over 800 species of plants, 500 of which are signposted with information and names in Thai, English and Japanese. The staff speak Eng ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,554 times, with no replies.

Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Singapore Trip!

Posted by hamilove on 12/12/2009 at 13:27

Hey guys, Stumbled across this website and am amazed by the wealth of knowledge available. Thought i would just see if could get some advice on our trip. Basically me and my partner are arriving in singapore and flying out of singapore 5 weeks later. In between is where i would like some ideas, im wanting to see as much of the above countries as possible however dont want to be rushed either. Does anyone have any tips, hints advice for our trip? Sorry to be vague, first big trip for us ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,576 times, with no replies.

6 country trip! Experienced traveller advice needed!

Posted by sl on 9/12/2009 at 06:01

Hey everyone! Love this website been looking through some of the forums. I just recently purchased my plane tickets and will be visiting the 6 following countries from March 3 to June 2: Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, China, Jordan and Egypt (in that order). I am starting to plan out a bit of an itinerary for this trip and since I know you guys are experienced travellers, I would love your input! Itinerary: 1)Fly into Bangkok. 2)Take a flight from BKK to Koh Samui where I would explore Koh S ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,093 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 10/12/2009 at 11:10

Hanoi to Siem Reap in 15 days?

Posted by smash on 8/12/2009 at 05:40

Hi all We've had to change our plans around so now go from a 'relaxed' trip to having 15 nights between arriving in Hanoi at 4:00 PM on the 21st of March to departing Siem Reap on the 5th of April at 5:00 PM. We're locked into these flights so really just trying to figure out the best way to spend this time. Originally I thought we might do 10 nights in Hanoi/Halong/Sapa and then fly to Siem Reap and have five nights to do the Angkor area. This means that even though the trip is shor ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,168 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by smash on 9/12/2009 at 08:34

Feedback from the experts on SLOW travel itinerary please!

Posted by Egoli on 3/12/2009 at 22:09

Hi All, I've browsing the web and reading for days now and I am realizing two things: 1) I am confused and 2) I understood to not pack too much into an itinerary, less is more. So here it is, my first attempt at an itinerary. We are 2 people travelling from mid Jan to mid Feb 2010 and it's our first time in SEA (Thailand/Laos/Cambodia). 1-3: Bangkok (2.5 days) 4: fly to CM, continue by bus to Chiang Dao 5-6: trekking tour (or so) in CD 7: bus back to CM, fly to LP 8-9: LP 10: on t ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,868 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 6/12/2009 at 08:22

Itinerary for 7 week trip to Thailand, Laos and Cambodia - advice wanted

Posted by plawhon on 9/11/2007 at 03:11

Ok, I've read through travelfish and done plenty of research, and this is what I've come up with for my upcoming trip with my husband to SE asia. Please give us your criticisms and advice... Itinerary for Thailand-Laos-Cambodia trip Dec. 12-14th Bangkok - Ayutthaya – 3 days –train to Chiang Mai Dec. 15-17th Chiang Mai – 3 days (cooking lesson?) Dec. 17th- 18th Huay Xai – 1 day (stop enroute to Luang Namtha) Dec. 19th- 24th Luang Namtha or Muang Sing– 5 days (trekking, 24 ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,835 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by dvdwilensky on 1/12/2009 at 15:57

Cellphones and sim cards

Posted by scottyheather on 1/12/2009 at 02:51

Hi - Just curious - does anyone know if I buy a sim card in Thailand, will I be able to use it in Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia too or will I have to buy sim cards in each country? Not a very important question I know, but like I say, just wondering....... ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,877 times, with no replies.

Advice about the weather and the four countries

Posted by RachelW on 18/11/2009 at 18:53

Hello, Am planning on going to travel the "four countries" from March next year for 6 months. I had orginally planned to get a flight into Bangkok (because the flights are cheapest!) then go through Laos for a month (April), Vietnam for 2 months (May- June), Cambodia for a month (July), and then the around August spend the rest of the time doing the Thai Islands. But having looked at the weather it wil be scoring hot in Laos and raining in Cambodia!. Then I thought i could do it the o ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,341 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by scottyheather on 30/11/2009 at 14:44

Itinerary advice-6 weeks in SEA

Posted by stardar on 30/11/2009 at 13:56

Hi all, My boyfriend and I are planning a 6 week trip through Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Thailand from mid-Jan through Feb and I'd love some feedback on our itinerary. To save time, we are probably going to do the Airpass through Bangkok Air and fly Siem Reap - Vientiane , Luang Prabang -Chiang Mai and Chiang Mai-Bangkok. I've been doing a lot of research and reading on various websites and guidebooks and these forums have been invaluable, so thanks in advance for any advice. Here's our p ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,785 times, with no replies.

Daily Cost of BKK to Siem Reap

Posted by BretW on 30/11/2009 at 07:05

I am leaving from Chicago in the States and want to know whether I should fly directly into Siem Reap, (which is a couple of hundred dollars more expensive) or arrive in Bangkok and go overland to Siem Reap. So what is the cost in both US Dollars and days in traveling overland from Bangkok to Siem Reap? I understand that there are a variety of options to traveling the route, but I am looking for a generalization. The trip will be five weeks throughout Cambodia, Vietnam, and Laos. Thanks in a ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,276 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by PDX2BKK on 30/11/2009 at 11:11

Angkor Wat from Singapore - advice pls?

Posted by ronaldev on 26/11/2009 at 18:54

Hi everyone. Been reading some of the posts and seems that lots of people are going to cambodia. I'll be in Singapore on Dec 21, any advice how can I go to cambodia? What's the best way and the cheapest mode? Then I have to be back to Sing since I have a confirmed flight from Singapore to Phuket on Dec 26. looking for a travel buddy too! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 12,913 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by idreamofdurian on 28/11/2009 at 15:20

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page