Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

7 weeks - beaches and more (a lot more).

Posted by eddyirving on 10/8/2009 at 21:26

Been reading these forums for a week or so and really getting a lot out of them. I haven't been able to find precisely answers to some of the questions I had. My girlfriend and I have about 7 weeks (December 12th - February 4th) planned in the area with only one real stipulation - Thai islands from January 23rd onwards as we are meeting friends. Our idea is for the first half to be an adventure, and then spend a nice amount of time on the islands of Thailand just relaxing before heading ba ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,178 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 18/8/2009 at 13:16

Fisherman pants, Hilltribe pants, Etc.

Posted by think87 on 13/7/2009 at 09:34

Just curious as to the views of the posters here on these items. :-P When you see someone wearing them, do you think "wow" or do you see "When in thailand, do as the thai's do"? Also, do you favor keeping your own dress or try to adapt in each country you visit? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,616 times, with 13 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 13/8/2009 at 07:07

ATM's - Vietnam / Cambodia / Laos

Posted by angfonz on 10/8/2009 at 21:37

I am an American, but I live in Australia (actually just a few miles north of friend Bruce). As such, the money in my bank account is in USD. Unfortunately, for me to take out a chunk of USD here in Australia, I would be converting first to AUD, then back to USD - losing money with each conversion. I would certainly like to avoid this. My question is twofold: will the ATM machines in Vietnam / Cambodia / Laos provide USD? And, if they do, does the transaction convert to local currency and ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,901 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 12/8/2009 at 11:48

changing plans while in vietnam/laos/cambodia

Posted by buecax on 11/8/2009 at 13:59

hi all, i'm going to travel through vietnam, laos and cambodia in september/october. while i have a pretty much "fixed" itinerary at this stage, this will probably change while i´m there. as i might want to stay longer in one place and shorter in another. as it is not the main season i will not need to book accomodation ahead. but how do i go about it in order to stay flexible? always just ask for a room for the night? and then ask to stay another night the next morning? or is it po ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,966 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by BruceMoon on 11/8/2009 at 14:10

12 Weeks Thailand/Laos/Cambodia/Vietnam

Posted by alssolotour on 10/8/2009 at 15:18

Hey all. I'm thinking about heading to Bangkok on Oct 26th till 18th Jan and not too sure how I should split my time up. I've never been over there before or away on my own so lots of firsts. I will just see how it goes when I get there but would welcome any ideas you have or thoughts on how you would do it. My budget will be around £2500($4200) excluding flights, so about $50 a day. Will be travelling overland but buying an onward flight from BKK somewhere to keep Mr Visa man happy -- m ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,278 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by alssolotour on 11/8/2009 at 04:51

festivals in september/october 2009

Posted by buecax on 9/8/2009 at 06:25

hi all, i´ll be in vietnam from sep 15th - 28th, in laos from sep 29th - oct 19th and in cambodia from oct 20th - 29th. i would love to witness some local holidays/festivals. i managed to find out that there is a festival call "awk pansa" on oct 14th in laos. not sure though if it takes place in vientiane only or in luang prabang as well... does anybody have some more information on this or other festivals? many thanks in advance! axel ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,233 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by seagypsy on 9/8/2009 at 23:16

Crossing from Banlung back into vietnam

Posted by KazAussie on 19/7/2009 at 07:11

Hi all, We are planning a month in Vietnam and Cambodia in December/January. We fly into Ho Chi Minh on 11 Dec and out from Singapore on 11 Jan, everything in between is up for grabs. At this stage the plan is.. Ho Chi Minh - 2-3 days Meekong Delta - 2-3 days boat to Phnom Phen - 1-2 days Siem reap 3 days Battambang 2 days Back to Phnom Phen then possibly Banlung and the national park for 3-4 days... Main question here is can we cross into Vietnam from Banlung? And if so, what ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,690 times, with 12 replies. Last reply by KazAussie on 4/8/2009 at 19:26

High risk places people should avoid

Posted by MADMAC on 1/8/2009 at 12:20

We had some discussion on this recently reference southern Thailand. I recommend giving that area a miss - especially if you want to go hiking or hang out on remote beaches. The level one insurgency there has claimed over 3,000 lives since 2004. I also recommend avoiding hiking along the Burmese border area (particularly on the Burmese side - but also the Thai side). There is consierable drug smuggling along this border, the Thai Army runs patrols on its side and there are active insurgent gr ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,376 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by SBE on 1/8/2009 at 15:09

from hanoi to phonsavan

Posted by buecax on 29/7/2009 at 16:40

hi all, i just found out about a bus from vinh (vietnam) to phonsavan (laos). via the border crossing at nam can wohlit is supposed to take 12 hours. did anybody do this trip already? from hanoi to vinh there is a train. however the website [URL=""][/URL] doesn´t seem to be working. does anybody know how long this trip takes? also vinh itself doesn´t seem to be that interesting... is there any other feasibl ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,465 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by BruceMoon on 29/7/2009 at 19:06

First time solo backpacker in SEA ??

Posted by Intrepid82 on 29/7/2009 at 10:24

I have an image of myself meandering through SEA at a laid back pace over 3 months, taking in a range of things including pristine islands and beaches, rainforests, hill tribe treks,villages, temples, bustling markets etc etc...... Maybe it's a quarter-life crisis....I'm nearly thirty. I had been planning a 3 week group tour around Cambodia and Laos BUT I cant escape the feeling that if there is anywhere on earth that I should go for my first ever solo backpacking journey it should be here ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,301 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 29/7/2009 at 13:07

Travel Guide Books

Posted by KazAussie on 28/7/2009 at 16:43

Hi all, Apart from travel fish downloadable guides (which I have), what guidebooks would you recommend for Vietnam and Cambodia. Lonely Planet has a one which looks good but I fear Lonely Planet is a victim of its own success (ie as soon as something in published in it either the quality of the accommodation/tour goes down or the price goes up). Any other suggestions? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,232 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 29/7/2009 at 12:23

Four countries in four weeks

Posted by james99 on 4/7/2009 at 19:41

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. I've spent about the last two weeks of my life ingesting Travelfish and the conclusion I'm rapidly coming to is that I should just do a tour. Let me explain. This is a once in a lifetime experience for me. I will not be able to return to Asia again and I have four weeks to see and soak up all it has to offer. I want to see Angkor, I want to eat Laksa in Penang, I want to see a sleazy show in bangkok (without getting ripped off), I want to go t ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,201 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 28/7/2009 at 00:38

21 days Saigon to Chiang Mai

Posted by 21days on 27/7/2009 at 05:54

My friends and I are planning a 3 week trip from Saigon to Chiang Mai. Plan is to spend about a week to get to Hanoi and we want to go to the gibbon experience (that being the real issue getting there) we will overnight train in Vietnam to get around fly to laos and possibly fly to the houy xai for the gibbons as i think a 2 day slow boat will consume too much time and I get sea sick. Just wanted to know which places we should stop at along the way are for how long? Also how hard is it ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,938 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 27/7/2009 at 11:42

Most scenic bus and train journeys in SE Asia

Posted by SBE on 17/7/2009 at 13:47

What are your favourite bus and train routes in SE Asia? Two bus routes that are well worth doing are Vang Vieng to Luang Prabang in Laos and Makassar to Rantepao in Indonesia. A 3rd class train seat between Hispaw and Mandalay (Burma)is well worth the money. I paid a fare of $1 US for that 8 hour trip but I think it's gone up to $3 now. The train acts as an ambulant market with locals buying and selling stuff through the windows at every station and it crosses the spectacular Gokteik ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,271 times, with 11 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 20/7/2009 at 18:38

Seeking suggestions on getting around and itinerary

Posted by jdahm17 on 19/7/2009 at 00:29

Hi all, First let me say how great this website is and how useful it has been for planning my trip. So thanks to everyone involved. I've seen many other people post their itineraries and get very helpful advice from members, so I'd like to do the same. I'm from the US, aged 27, male and this will be my first time in SE Asia, although I've done a bit of traveling (in groups and on my own) in other places throughout the world. I'll be traveling with my girlfriend too. I'm curre ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,972 times, with 12 replies. Last reply by SBE on 20/7/2009 at 15:52

Cambodia to Vietnam

Posted by gracetandil on 17/7/2009 at 22:33

What steps should I follow to cross from Cambodia to Vietnam? My idea is to go southwards from P. Penh to Saigón. In order to save time my first idea was to take a flight from P. Penh to Saigon, but if I do so I won´t see the Mekong River delta with those floating markets. Can you help me, please? What might be the fastest way to go from P. Penh to Saigón seeing at least 1 floating market? Is it possible? How long does it take to go from P. Penh to Saigon visiting either Can Tho or Chau Do ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,046 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by gracetandil on 19/7/2009 at 00:10

18 says in Asia

Posted by fiddlerd on 16/7/2009 at 20:26

Hello - My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon for late October early November. We are planning on 18 days in Thailand, but would really like to see Vietnam too. Do we have enough time? What should we do? Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,986 times, with 11 replies. Last reply by neosho on 18/7/2009 at 21:42

Ho Chi Minh to Siem Reap

Posted by fiddlerd on 17/7/2009 at 02:30

What is the best and most economical way to get from Ho Chi Minh to Siem Reap? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,186 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 17/7/2009 at 11:12

2 months in asia - september/october- help with itinerary

Posted by buecax on 15/7/2009 at 22:23

hi all, i´ve never been to asia and i´ve got about 2 months for my "trip of a lifetime" ;-) sadly i have to back by the beginning of november, so i have to travel during the rain season. my planned itinerary so far: 1 week in tokio and surrounds flight (via kl) to bali 1 week in bali (ubud?) flight back to kl 2/3 days in kuala lumpur flight to hanoi 5 -6 weeks to travel overland from hanoi (and halong bay) - luang prabang - vang vieng - vientiane - phnom penh - sieam reap - b ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,404 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 16/7/2009 at 19:03

Weather in August: to go, or not to go? Honeymoon question!

Posted by ssubo on 15/4/2006 at 01:53

First I wanted to say hi to everyone! We've recently discovered this forum and we love the information it has. We have a question and would like to hear what other travelers have to say about it... We are getting married by the end of July (yes, I know, that's another issue I will deal with in another forum... ) and we are planning our Honeymoon for the first three weeks in August. We were extremely excited about South-East Asia, particularly Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia, but read in ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 97,364 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 12/7/2009 at 18:37

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page