Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

First time solo backpacker in SEA ??

Posted by Intrepid82 on 29/7/2009 at 10:24

I have an image of myself meandering through SEA at a laid back pace over 3 months, taking in a range of things including pristine islands and beaches, rainforests, hill tribe treks,villages, temples, bustling markets etc etc...... Maybe it's a quarter-life crisis....I'm nearly thirty. I had been planning a 3 week group tour around Cambodia and Laos BUT I cant escape the feeling that if there is anywhere on earth that I should go for my first ever solo backpacking journey it should be here ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,291 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 29/7/2009 at 13:07

Travel Guide Books

Posted by KazAussie on 28/7/2009 at 16:43

Hi all, Apart from travel fish downloadable guides (which I have), what guidebooks would you recommend for Vietnam and Cambodia. Lonely Planet has a one which looks good but I fear Lonely Planet is a victim of its own success (ie as soon as something in published in it either the quality of the accommodation/tour goes down or the price goes up). Any other suggestions? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,220 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 29/7/2009 at 12:23

Four countries in four weeks

Posted by james99 on 4/7/2009 at 19:41

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. I've spent about the last two weeks of my life ingesting Travelfish and the conclusion I'm rapidly coming to is that I should just do a tour. Let me explain. This is a once in a lifetime experience for me. I will not be able to return to Asia again and I have four weeks to see and soak up all it has to offer. I want to see Angkor, I want to eat Laksa in Penang, I want to see a sleazy show in bangkok (without getting ripped off), I want to go t ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,183 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 28/7/2009 at 00:38

21 days Saigon to Chiang Mai

Posted by 21days on 27/7/2009 at 05:54

My friends and I are planning a 3 week trip from Saigon to Chiang Mai. Plan is to spend about a week to get to Hanoi and we want to go to the gibbon experience (that being the real issue getting there) we will overnight train in Vietnam to get around fly to laos and possibly fly to the houy xai for the gibbons as i think a 2 day slow boat will consume too much time and I get sea sick. Just wanted to know which places we should stop at along the way are for how long? Also how hard is it ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,926 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 27/7/2009 at 11:42

Most scenic bus and train journeys in SE Asia

Posted by SBE on 17/7/2009 at 13:47

What are your favourite bus and train routes in SE Asia? Two bus routes that are well worth doing are Vang Vieng to Luang Prabang in Laos and Makassar to Rantepao in Indonesia. A 3rd class train seat between Hispaw and Mandalay (Burma)is well worth the money. I paid a fare of $1 US for that 8 hour trip but I think it's gone up to $3 now. The train acts as an ambulant market with locals buying and selling stuff through the windows at every station and it crosses the spectacular Gokteik ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,204 times, with 11 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 20/7/2009 at 18:38

Seeking suggestions on getting around and itinerary

Posted by jdahm17 on 19/7/2009 at 00:29

Hi all, First let me say how great this website is and how useful it has been for planning my trip. So thanks to everyone involved. I've seen many other people post their itineraries and get very helpful advice from members, so I'd like to do the same. I'm from the US, aged 27, male and this will be my first time in SE Asia, although I've done a bit of traveling (in groups and on my own) in other places throughout the world. I'll be traveling with my girlfriend too. I'm curre ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,950 times, with 12 replies. Last reply by SBE on 20/7/2009 at 15:52

Cambodia to Vietnam

Posted by gracetandil on 17/7/2009 at 22:33

What steps should I follow to cross from Cambodia to Vietnam? My idea is to go southwards from P. Penh to Saigón. In order to save time my first idea was to take a flight from P. Penh to Saigon, but if I do so I won´t see the Mekong River delta with those floating markets. Can you help me, please? What might be the fastest way to go from P. Penh to Saigón seeing at least 1 floating market? Is it possible? How long does it take to go from P. Penh to Saigon visiting either Can Tho or Chau Do ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,036 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by gracetandil on 19/7/2009 at 00:10

18 says in Asia

Posted by fiddlerd on 16/7/2009 at 20:26

Hello - My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon for late October early November. We are planning on 18 days in Thailand, but would really like to see Vietnam too. Do we have enough time? What should we do? Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,970 times, with 11 replies. Last reply by neosho on 18/7/2009 at 21:42

Ho Chi Minh to Siem Reap

Posted by fiddlerd on 17/7/2009 at 02:30

What is the best and most economical way to get from Ho Chi Minh to Siem Reap? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,177 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 17/7/2009 at 11:12

2 months in asia - september/october- help with itinerary

Posted by buecax on 15/7/2009 at 22:23

hi all, i´ve never been to asia and i´ve got about 2 months for my "trip of a lifetime" ;-) sadly i have to back by the beginning of november, so i have to travel during the rain season. my planned itinerary so far: 1 week in tokio and surrounds flight (via kl) to bali 1 week in bali (ubud?) flight back to kl 2/3 days in kuala lumpur flight to hanoi 5 -6 weeks to travel overland from hanoi (and halong bay) - luang prabang - vang vieng - vientiane - phnom penh - sieam reap - b ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,376 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 16/7/2009 at 19:03

Weather in August: to go, or not to go? Honeymoon question!

Posted by ssubo on 15/4/2006 at 01:53

First I wanted to say hi to everyone! We've recently discovered this forum and we love the information it has. We have a question and would like to hear what other travelers have to say about it... We are getting married by the end of July (yes, I know, that's another issue I will deal with in another forum... ) and we are planning our Honeymoon for the first three weeks in August. We were extremely excited about South-East Asia, particularly Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia, but read in ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 97,295 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 12/7/2009 at 18:37

Where is the real Golden Triangle

Posted by tropicaladventure on 25/5/2009 at 17:53

Soon I will leave thailand,,,wishing to experiance The Golden Triangle.,, I have seen on the net the tourist location to buy gifts,dvd's etc,,,but that not the reson for me going there, I wanted to try some other things there the real illegal stuff in the golden triangle,,, where is it Laos or Burma? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,390 times, with 18 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 12/7/2009 at 06:46

Yet another Indochina Newbie Itinerary Breakdown.

Posted by angfonz on 8/7/2009 at 01:29

I’ve been pouring over this site for weeks. Let me begin by thanking everyone that contributes to both the forums and the site – this resource is completely invaluable. With that said, I’m rather embarrassed at needing to ask itinerary questions, but I feel that my questions are rather specific and require a more human touch. Anyway, here’s the deal: So, the girlfriend and I only have 4 weeks off in between semesters. Having done several mad dash trips in the past, it would have been my ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,993 times, with 13 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 12/7/2009 at 06:35

Teaching In SE Asia

Posted by think87 on 8/7/2009 at 10:01

I know of a few friends who teach in Taiwan, and a college degree is a requirement to teach as well as a TEFL. Does anyone one know if Vietnam, Laos, or Thailand also require a college degree? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,384 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by SBE on 11/7/2009 at 07:22

Yet another itinerary submission

Posted by jay66fr on 9/7/2009 at 00:02

Hi everyone, I'll be spending a month in SE Asia from 12 July to 10 August. Any remarks concerning my planned itinerary are welcome. Itinerary: 12, 13, 14 July : Bangkok 15, 16, 17 July : Ho Chi Minh 18 to 24 July : Tra Vinh, Soc Trang, Can Tho (I'll be staying a week there because I'll be visiting my father who settled in Soc Trang 12 years ago after he retired) 25, 26 July : Hanoi (we'll be flying there with my dad) 27, 28 July : Halong Bay 29, 30 July : Hué 31 July, 1 A ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,235 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 9/7/2009 at 18:59

Tour of Southeast Asia..Help

Posted by ilookold on 28/6/2009 at 18:40

hello, i am trying to plan for a 1 year trip to southeast asia. its really a diving trip. im in no hurry to go anywhere, if i like a place i would like to stay there longer than other places. i want to stay close to the beach but be in a place that i can take and go up country too. i have been to thailand a few times and love it. i would like to go back there and also the rest of southeast asia. my biggest concern would be what an estimated cost would be. im not to picky on nice hotels. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,749 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by thailand_asia on 8/7/2009 at 17:33

Where should I go?

Posted by AyanamiNal on 7/7/2009 at 22:07

I've booked myself some cheap AirAsia flights from London to KL - I arrive in the evening of 26th September and fly back to London in the afternoon of 9th October. My plan is to to spend 11 days travelling through Laos. I've posted a particular query in relation to that trip in the Laos forum. However, I am keen not to discount other possibilities - from KL I can fly pretty much anywhere in SE Asia on AirAsia, so I wondered if anyone had any other places I should perhaps consider before ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,842 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by BruceMoon on 8/7/2009 at 07:14

3 week roundtrip Thailand - Cambodja - Vietnam

Posted by Lawoat on 30/6/2009 at 00:29

Hi All, Me and 2 friends are currently doing some research for our 3 week roundtrip in South East Asia in November. We are defenitely interested in history (I studied archeology at university ;-), culture, nature. No interest in beaches ;-) Please find below the itinerary so far: - Brussels - Bangkok - 2 full days in Bangkok - Travel by train and bus overland to Siem Reap - 2 full days in Siem Reap - travel to Pnom Penh by boat - 2 full days in Pnom Penh - travel from Pnom Penh to ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,656 times, with 13 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 3/7/2009 at 21:24

Itinerary too crazy?

Posted by travelingchinese on 2/7/2009 at 22:04

We will be flying in between each connection... but it just seems so tiring (I am getting tired just reviewing this itinerary). What do you think we should cut out? We only have two weeks, and will not be back in South East Asia for a while (sad): 5-Aug Chicago to Hong Kong 6-Aug Hong Kong to Hanoi 7-Aug Hanoi to Halong Bay 8-Aug Halong Bay 9-Aug Halong Bay - Hanoi 10-Aug Hanoi - Luang Prabang 11-Aug Luang Prabang 12-Aug Luang Prabang 13-Aug Luang Prabang to Siem Reap 14-Aug Siem ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,933 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by BruceMoon on 3/7/2009 at 09:08

Opinions and suggestions needed - 4wk trip

Posted by Sparts on 5/6/2009 at 05:06

Hi everyone. I'm travelling to SE Asia in July - it's all very last minute so I'm hoping that you guys could be kind enough to help me with my plans. I'm changing employers so have managed to engineer myself a 4 week gap between jobs :D To be quite honest I am very open to suggestions on what can't be missed to any of these destinations. Especially the first few days in Bangkok. I've been quite ignorant of Asia in the past and so my knowledge of the area, although gaining monmentum is still pr ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,618 times, with 14 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 3/7/2009 at 06:34

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page