Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

A starting point: thailand, cambodia,laos, veitnam and indo in 6 months!?!

Posted by tammivalentine on 31/5/2009 at 14:43

Hi there We are a young South African couple who are going to be moving to china in August 2009 for work. We wanted to plan a 6 month trip around south east asia, plans are stil in the very early days but I have been researching quite a bit already as i'm very excited! We have 6 months 1st July-31st December and so far what I'm tryin to plan is just a basic outline of our trip and would like to do my own further research on each place. We are keen on seeing a good variety with environme ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,969 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by brucemoon on 2/6/2009 at 05:24

Advice on grand tour of the region

Posted by Dylan on 29/5/2009 at 03:05

Hi all, I am currently planning a 3-month-ish trip to Thailand-Laos-Vietnam. I plan on leaving from NY in October, and I have no restrictions on the time I spend in the region (yay!) I plan on flying into Bangkok, heading north in Thailand via train, spend a few weeks trekking in the north. I'll cross into Laos at the Huay Xai / Chiang Khong border, make my way down to Vientianne via the Mekong, then after a flight to Hanoi, take short train rides down the length of Vietnam (stopping/l ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,208 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by Dylan on 1/6/2009 at 23:40

Voluntary or Paid work?

Posted by johub on 29/5/2009 at 18:30

Just wondered if anyone can give me some advice on undertaking some voluntary/paid work. I am hoping to get to Asia (prob) Thailand in August and maybe go home in March but I am very flexible! My Friend taught English to monks in Cambodia. Anyone heard of this? Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,278 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 1/6/2009 at 10:51

Thai/Camb/Viet/Laos - Sept/Oct 2009

Posted by BazzRose on 21/5/2009 at 21:40

Hi, I am flying into Bangkok on 2nd September and will be looking to do a "round" trip of the above countries. The only other set date I have is that I want to be down in Phuket (or wherever is recommended) for the Full Moon Party on 23rd October. (So be there about a week or so before) A few questions I have, and any advice would be greatly appreciated. 1. Which way around should I do it? I'm thinking of going BKK (7days) - Siemreib (3days) - Phom Penh (3days) - Ho Chi Min and so on ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,662 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by BazzRose on 30/5/2009 at 19:16

14 days in Cambodia, Laos and Vietname

Posted by sjanzen on 22/5/2009 at 02:39

My boyfriend and I are going to Siem Reap for a wedding, and want to do as much as possible in Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam in 14 days before the wedding. Ambitious I know. We're looking for suggestions of "must sees" in these 3 countries and how long we should spend at each. Ankor Wat and Siem Reap are obviously included in our itinerary. We're a bit clueless for the rest although I'd love to see Hanoi and Halong Bay. He also wants to do a 3-day trek somewhere if possible. Any ideas? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,838 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by brucemoon on 22/5/2009 at 07:00

4 weeks Vietnam/Laos/Cambodia - Itinerary advice

Posted by ibon on 19/5/2009 at 10:40

My husband and I are headed off to Vietnam/Laos and Cambodia at the end of the year for 4 weeks. Although we've travelled in Asia before it's our first time in SEA. We'll be flying between countries to save time. The idea with this trip was to hit a few highlights, and as such we'll be firmly on the beaten track. Any advice on whether it seems like there is too much/not enough time allocated certain places? Do we need more time for Pnomh Penh? 20th Dec Arrive Hanoi 21-23 Hanoi 24-25 Halon ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 8,038 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by alex16103 on 21/5/2009 at 21:12

Trip Advice Thailand, Cambodia or Laos

Posted by anandgrafiti on 13/5/2009 at 13:26

Hey friends, A group of friends from India are planning for a 10 day trip to south east asia via Bangkok. We are looking at a leisurely travel with close encounters with nature, places, culture and heritage experience on tight/moderate budget. The trip is planned between late October to mid November. Which among these places would you recommend us? We dont intend to cover all three countries in one go. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,196 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by brucemoon on 14/5/2009 at 05:35

Thailand/Cambodia/Vietnam in July and August

Posted by truesd10 on 7/5/2009 at 08:33

Hey guys - looking for some advice. So my boyfriend and I are going to be in SE Asia from July 8th-August 18th. We are planing on going to Phenon Phen and Siem Riep the first week of the trip and want to go to Ko Tao for some diving. But for the rest we are not sure what is best. We want to also go to Saigon for a bit and I was thinking of making our way down the Mekong Delta and into Cambodia around Kampot and Kep up to Phenon Phen and then take a cheap flight into Bangkok where we fly ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 8,512 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by truesd10 on 12/5/2009 at 23:38

5 days from Bangkok in June - Where to go?

Posted by Irvine on 8/5/2009 at 19:23

After having seen Chiang Mai and Bangkok I have 5 more days left before I head back home. It will be 11 - 15 June that I will be having off, flying back home just after midnight. I was thinking of going to Laos, but I think taking slow boats or other transport to LP would take too much of my time (as also suggested to Live1284 in his 3-4 days thread). What would you guys suggest to go see? Maybe even just stay in Bangkok for a day more (will only have visited BKK for 2 days)? I'm loo ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,530 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by brucemoon on 12/5/2009 at 19:57

Looking for advice on my ten day itinerary.

Posted by ktb690 on 11/5/2009 at 23:26

So yes, I know this will not do South East Asia justice but we are foreign students studying in Beijing that don't have any time and we want to just do what we can. If you have time look over my brief itinerary for a second and let me know ANYTHING that could help! I appreciate anyone's comments and suggestions! I am planning this kinda on my own so this website has been EXTREMELY helpful. We are students so we don't really care about poor conditions, money is tight but not to the point that ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,136 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by brucemoon on 12/5/2009 at 14:37

Best Beaches / Islands - Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam

Posted by Jenniferious on 9/5/2009 at 07:03

I'm in South East Asia (Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam) for 10 weeks this summer. I'd like some recommendations on which beaches would be best to visit in July / August. Somewhere pretty, maybe a little off the beaten track. I only want to do one beachy place in that time so I need to make it somewhere good. Cheers :) ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 19,143 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by brucemoon on 10/5/2009 at 06:51

Terrific photos of islands in Thailand

Posted by somtam2000 on 6/5/2009 at 20:06

Some time ago, we started up a Travelfish Flickr group which meant that if you used Flickr for your pics you could add them to the Travelfish group and they'd show up on Travelfish. The group is slowly growing -- we've got 37 members and just shy of 800 photos now, and while there's loads of great pics, today I spied a bunch of classic Thai beach shots (primarily Ko Ngai and Ko Mook) by NathanChor and I suggest, if you're planning some beach time, that you go check out his pics -- right now ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,299 times, with no replies.

Our 10 week plan for SE Asia. Advice needed.

Posted by vickerella on 21/4/2009 at 06:55

Hi everyone, Am very excited as a friend and I finally booked our flights to and from bangkok for our trip to SE Asia this summer from the 4th July to 11th September. We have a plan of sorts that I've mostly come up with from using travelfish but I would love to hear whether you think its feasible. I've mapped roughly how many days we will probably stay in a given place which includes travelling time but we're very flexible. The only strict dates we have are that we have to meet a friend in ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,974 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by brucemoon on 4/5/2009 at 08:32

Bangkok, Cambodia, and Laos in 4 weeks- itinerary advice?

Posted by curstilace on 9/4/2009 at 14:06

Hello. :) I'm planning a trip for August-early September. This is a rough itinerary I've come up with. I'd appreciate any suggestions. Aug 6 Fly Osaka-Bangkok Aug 7 Bangkok Aug 8 Border crossing to Siem Reap Aug 9-11 Siem Reap Aug 12 Transit to Phnom Penh Aug 13-14 Phnom Penh Aug 15 Transit to Kampong Cham Aug 16 Kampong Cham Aug 17 Head to Laos Aug 18-21 Don Dhet Aug 22 Transit to Champasak Aug 23-24 Champasak Aug 25 Transit to Savannukhet Aug 26-27 Savannukhet ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,968 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by brucemoon on 3/5/2009 at 06:25

Cambodia/Laos/Vietnam in 3 weeks only??

Posted by Intrepid82 on 21/4/2009 at 11:38

I am having trouble trying to fit Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos into three weeks! I have the option of a 10 day tour of Vietnam (with the option of travelling north from HCMC or South from Hanoi). I am trying to find the most time and cost efficient way to include the following places in my trip: Siem Reap/ Angkor Wat Vientiane Vang Vieng Luang Prabang The maximum time I can spend is 21 days. I would like at least 3 days in Luang Prabang, and 3 days in Angkor. Any help on fig ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 24,034 times, with 16 replies. Last reply by brucemoon on 2/5/2009 at 10:13

need advice on routing for 8-week trip Thailand/Laos/Vietnam/Cambodja

Posted by Seba on 28/4/2009 at 07:02

Hey everyone, I have a plane ticket in/out Bangkok from October 15th till December 15th, so that gives me about 2 months to discover SE-Asia. I've been reading a lot on this site, fora, blogs, etc. and I have come up with this routing: Bangkok => Chang Mai (via Ayatthaya en Sukothai) => Houay Xai (north-Laos) via Chiang Rai en Chaing Kong => Luang Prabang => Vang Vieng => Vientiane => Hanoi (/Sapa/Halong/cat ba) => Hué => Hoi An => Nha Trang => Ho Chi Minh City => Phu Quo ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,364 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by brucemoon on 2/5/2009 at 09:20

4 week itinerary - Any advice or opionions?

Posted by Bassfunk on 14/4/2009 at 16:16

Hi Everybody Me and my future wife are planning a 4 week honeymoon to South East Asia in January next year. After lots of extensive reading (thanks Travelfish) We've decided to pick out a few highlights. We'd like to see Halong Bay, trek in Laos, visit Angkor Wat and chill out on a beach/island. As it's our first time visiting this area we don't mind being in places a bit more touristy (they're popular for a reason right?). We've decided to fly most legs to save time, and as it's our hon ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,830 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by brucemoon on 1/5/2009 at 06:23

High season reservations

Posted by Nokka on 6/4/2009 at 21:13

My wife and I are starting a trip round South East Asia in late November. Idea so far is: Fly to Bangkok. A few days at the beach. Back to B'kok and then up to Chiang Mai and the north. On to Laos, Luang Prabang and Vientiene. Fly to Saigon, spend a few days. Then on to Phu Quok and have Christmas there. Our preference is to be flexible, to stay longer in places if we like it. (We think this may be especially the case in Laos) However, we wonder whether it is a good ide ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,911 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by Nokka on 29/4/2009 at 22:30

I need suggestions for SEA

Posted by gracetandil on 16/4/2009 at 20:05

About the itinerary: Can anybody suggest any possible changes? My plan is to start in BKK, then go northwards, cross to Laos, then Cambodia, then Vietnam from the south to the north, back to BKK to visit the southern islands and back to BKK to get the flight back home. I am getting there from Argentina. Thank you. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,413 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by brucemoon on 27/4/2009 at 17:25

3 week Itinerary needed for Thailand on a small budget!

Posted by bro4dhead on 21/4/2009 at 10:29

Hello there, I arrive on the 6th June for 3 weeks with a mate and as it is our last stop on our travels money is a bit tight. I was wondering if anyone could help us with some sort of guide as what to do in those 3 weeks and as cheap as chips! thanks for any help :-) ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 9,697 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by brucemoon on 27/4/2009 at 14:47

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page