Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

the confused first time traveller!

Posted by laurahodges on 26/9/2008 at 06:11

I am currently planning a trip to span just over three weeks. flying from bangkok to luang prabang then by bus down to Vang Vieng and Vientiane. I really want to visit the Wat Phou temple and Champasak, however then I get stuck!! I was thinking of going from there to Saigon but I have no idea how to do it reasonably quickly and cheaply. From Saigon I would head to Phnom Penh for a three month teaching placement. Can anyone offer any ideas of the best way to structure my trip. Aso because I ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,199 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by charliekbrooks on 24/11/2008 at 20:55

60 days in Indochina. Suggestions/advice on my itinerary welcome!

Posted by Lornie on 21/11/2008 at 01:52

Hello all! I am leaving the UK in March 2009 and stopping in Indochina for 2 months before heading on to Australia for a year of work and travel. This website has been invaluable for my planning and I would love it if all you helpful Travelfishers would cast your eyes over my itinerary to see if what I am trying to do can be comfortably done in 60 days. 1. Arrive Bangkok 2. Bangkok 3. Train to Ayutthaya 4. Ayutthaya 5. Train to Phitsanulok 6. Phitsanulok 7. Train to Chiang Mai 8 - ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,717 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 21/11/2008 at 06:16

Big Trip!!

Posted by candy5 on 13/11/2008 at 10:01

Hi All, Just going over what we have put together so far for our travels through SE Asia, big trip no time frame, budget around 10000-12000 AUS. Need to decide on a arrival and depature dates. I have not put days next to all stops, want to leave it as open as we can. Thinkin maybe giving ourselves 6 months to cover everything at a nice pace and hoping budget lasting will last that long? Any thoughts appreciated.. Singapore 3-4 Days Mersing (Islands of Archipelago) if they are accessible 3 ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,977 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by candy5 on 14/11/2008 at 06:30

6 weeks in Cambodia and Laos - Please check my intinerary

Posted by mattocmd on 29/10/2008 at 11:46

Hello, I have been to SE Asia a few times but have never visited Cambodia and Laos. I am taking the trip with my girlfriend. I am a beach bum which will explain all the time in southern Cambodia. Other than that and Ankor Wat, we are much more excited about Laos. Please look over this intinerary and tell me if I will have problems with transportation and/or if I am missing any major stops. Thanks in advance! Phnom Pehn (3 days) Sihanokville & islands (6 days) Siem Reap (3 days) ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,911 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by planteroftrees on 31/10/2008 at 04:55

69 day trip - please critique my itinerary

Posted by daflj on 24/9/2008 at 21:42

Dear all, thanks for all the useful feedback I've received so far. I've now planned the trip and would welcome feedback on the itinerary. I will be arriving in Bangkok in early March and leaving Vietnam mid May. Anyway here's the itinerary: Bangkok 3 nights Ko Mak 5 nights Bangkok 1 night Kanchanburi 3 nights Bangkok 1 night Ayutthaya 3 nights Bangkok 1 night Fly to Siem Raep Siem Raep 5 nights Fly back to Bangkok, then connect to Luang Prabang if possible - if not further night in ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,054 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by buzby on 27/10/2008 at 17:19

Get off of the tourist trail!

Posted by mattocmd on 18/10/2008 at 12:58

Hello, I found the following article entitled "How to get off the tourist trail" it is all about SE Asia. It has some pretty good ideas that I think you will all be interested in, suck as biking the Mekong River. http://matadortrips.com/8get-off-the-tourist-trail-in-southeast-asia/ I would like to add to the list. Not just getting off of the tourist trail, but "relatively" unique experiences. How about the following: -fishing the freshwater rivers in SE Asia -visiting a prison/pr ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,558 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by Tilapia on 22/10/2008 at 19:36

Any ESL teachers in the area?

Posted by mattocmd on 20/10/2008 at 12:15

Hello, I came to Korea a year ago and am finishing up my 1-year teaching contract next month. Over the last year I have watched the Korean won plummet. My salary has decreased by 40%. When I first arrived, I could live like a king and easily save $1000 a month! I am considering relocating next year to live and teach in either Thailand or Vietnam. The average salary is about 900$ a month in Thailand. Which is very low but its enough to live and have fun in Thailand (but impossible to s ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,986 times, with no replies.

Room in Kuala lumpur/chinatown

Posted by nedz on 10/10/2008 at 18:40

Hi, does anyone have ground info on ok place to stay. besides swiss inn and manderin pacific. would appreciate thankz Nedzx ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,070 times, with no replies.

thai islands to siem reap

Posted by kelsey on 4/7/2008 at 05:05

Can someone help me with the best and cheapest way of getting from either koh samui or phuket/krabi to Siem Reap. Flights direct from Samui to Siem Reap seem to be quite expensive. Am i best to go Islands-Bangkok-Siem Reap? Or part flight part overland or something? Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,656 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by nedz on 10/10/2008 at 18:33

Which country is cheper for tech? Where can I buy a notebook?

Posted by alemauro on 21/9/2008 at 22:38

Hi Folks! I am enjoying this forum since I found it... I am planning to travel from Buenos Aires to Kuala Lumpur, and then visit Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia, for about 40 days. I am planning to buy a digital camera and a notebook there... I suppose that tech will be cheaper than Argentina and US... but I don´t know that.... where should I buy tech in SE ASIA?. Is there a market where I should go in Thai or Vietnam? Is Bangkok cheaper than Hanoi?... So many questions... please ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,584 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by Jon_Mak_Mak on 7/10/2008 at 18:45

hotel reservations

Posted by rhiannonmcneely on 26/9/2008 at 02:56

Hi, My husband and I are going on a round the world trip and are starting off in Asia. We hope to spend about 3 months in Bali, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam leaving the US March 1, 2009. Is it necessary to have hotels books in advance for every place we visit or can we find places to stay as we go? Thanks, Rhiannon ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,906 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 28/9/2008 at 07:28

travel from Da Nang to Siem Reap

Posted by Patrickx8 on 14/9/2008 at 05:29

is it possible to fly? How would you do this trip over land and how long would it take? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,771 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by Patrickx8 on 19/9/2008 at 17:53

15 weeks in SE Asia... Intinery for first major trip!!

Posted by MarkHall on 15/9/2008 at 21:41

Me and my girlfriend are flying to Battambang on 15th November this year and would be grateful of andy advice and ideas towards our itinery and general plan! It's our first big trip so all help would be gratefuly welcomed. Our itineriey is based around the one given on trvel fish with the idea of possibly finishing in Hanoi and catching a flight back to Battambang (or even Phuket is possible) to carry on our trip through south thialand, malaysia and Singapore. So our basic intinery is as ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,213 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by Tilapia on 16/9/2008 at 02:33

74 days in SE Asia - please look at my itinery!

Posted by Sair83 on 16/8/2008 at 00:01

Hi everyone. As my topic title reveals, I will be spending 74 days (roughly 2 1/2 months) in the region, and have put together a rough itinery. I fly into Bangkok on the 30th September and out of Singapore on the 12th December. In between these two desinations I would like to visit some of Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam and Malaysia. I've put together an itinery... please have a look and let me know what you think. All advice/suggestions will be welcomed! 30-Sep Bangkok 1st Oct Bangkok ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,617 times, with 13 replies. Last reply by Sair83 on 8/9/2008 at 16:21

What is the best country/place to stay in December and possibly New Year?

Posted by Digitalis on 3/9/2008 at 18:29

Hello all you lovely helpfull people out there. Me and my Girlfriend are going tho SE Asia for 6 months for october to april. We are starting of in Thailand for 30 days. I would love to know peoples recomendations for a country/place to stay in december and possibly new year. Oh and its my girlfriends birthday as well in late december. We are on a tightish budget for the trip about $10-$15 but I am going to splash out a bit for the three weeks of grilfriends bithday, xmas and new year ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 7,269 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by idreamofdurian on 6/9/2008 at 08:42

Laos/Cambodia

Posted by travelnut55 on 26/8/2008 at 06:51

I will be traveling to India and South East Asia for 2 months starting in late September with a friend. We are both in our early 20s and just out of college. We canceled our portion of the trip going to the Philippines so we have 10 extra days before leaving from Bangkok to Bali. We already have 3 weeks in Thailand so we were looking to explore some more. Was thinking of doing a couple of days in Siem Reap to see Angkor Wat and then heading to Laos (maybe Luang Prabang) for the rest of the 6 or ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,140 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by JJcookie on 6/9/2008 at 05:06

New to travelling alone.

Posted by Prototype on 26/8/2008 at 17:41

G'day from Sydney! Me and a couple of mates are doing our first 'without family' holiday, and our plans are roughly as so - Indonesia, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Thailand (Sth to Nth), Laos (Nth to Sth, Cambodia and into Vietnam. I have roughly 10 weeks available to make this journey. This website has already proved to be immeasurably helpful. And to all, I thank you! However... One thing which is bothering me, is what the heck should I bring? Because I'll be travelling a lot, I can assum ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,244 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by idreamofdurian on 6/9/2008 at 00:06

Phu Quoc or Koh Maak?

Posted by laurenbernard on 14/9/2006 at 22:02

Hello, hoping to get some views... We're off to SE Asia for two weeks in mid November, flying into Saigon and out of Bangkok. I had planned on fitting in a few days at the end on Koh Maak to have some beach time and diving... BUT I've just seen the review of Phu Quoc on Travelfish and it looks amazing. I don't think we'll have time to do both (given we also want to see Saigon, the Mekong Delta, Phnom Penh, Angkor etc) so which should I choose? I'm looking for good weather, clear tur ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,287 times, with 12 replies. Last reply by Tilapia on 6/9/2008 at 00:01

Lone female traveller - Dont know where to start!

Posted by charliescott86 on 23/7/2008 at 03:44

Firstly I just wanted to say how great this site is – but I think it may have overloaded me. I am going to be travelling across SE Asia I don’t really want to plan more than my flights and stays in each country For example Cambodia 4 weeks Laos 4 weeks Thailand 4 weeks Vietnam 2 weeks I would rather wander around but is there anything I should do in one country / place that I shouldn’t do in another ie: I don’t want to visit 40 buddah if there is just 2 great ones if ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,215 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by idreamofdurian on 5/9/2008 at 23:59

First Time to SE Asia

Posted by candy5 on 2/9/2008 at 10:42

This is going to be my first time travelling overseas and my partner and i are doing a RTW trip starting off in SE Asia. We really want to make the most of this part of our journey so i have been researching as much as I can on Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia & Singapore as these are the places we want to see. We are thinking 3-4 months seeing these amazing places hopefully is possible (not sure though if our budget will allow $5000 - $7000AUS) is what we are thinking??A little more if needed. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,232 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 2/9/2008 at 12:52

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page