Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Lonely Traveller

Posted by laurahodges on 22/7/2008 at 21:36

Hi, I am going to Cambodia for a three month teaching placement but am thinking of doing the trail from singapore, through thailand, laos and veitnam for about 5 weeks before hand. Is it a relatively safe route for a lone traveller or would it be advisable to find someone to go with? Thank you!!!! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,157 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by neosho on 14/8/2008 at 03:45

From Vietnam to Cambodia

Posted by alexr on 13/8/2008 at 03:33

Hi! I hope you can help. I am going to SE Asia in a matter of weeks and I am currently looking into booking my discovery airpass before i leave the UK and therefore I am thinking about getting about from A-Z. The one route i will not be flying will be from HCM city to Cambodia. We only have limited time in Cambodia (a measely 5 days) but I am slightly unclear about how long it take to do this journey. Could you give me some indication of how long it takes to cross from HCM to Pnom Phen ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,780 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 13/8/2008 at 07:24

Panicing we dont have enough time!

Posted by malibu828 on 29/7/2008 at 20:20

Hi Everyone, i am really sorry to bore you with yet another itinery message but from what ive been reading on other i may have been a bit greedy in the time i have. We have 13 and half weeks to get from Bangkok to northern Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Southern Thailand and islands, Malaysia and catch next flight to Singapore. Is this ridiculous, i did want to do it all overland at not a very rushed pace but thinking some flights will be needed? (on a tight budget) Which bits do you thin ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,317 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by Tilapia on 31/7/2008 at 23:41

16 days - itinerary help

Posted by dseckel on 17/7/2008 at 05:53

We're a couple with 16 days in Thailand / Laos, end of August, beginning of Sept. Plan is coming together, just seeking advice to fill in some holes. So far, we're considering: 5 days Bangkok - 3 front end, 2 back end 4 days Luang Prabang (with 1.5 day "Live like a Mahout" elephant experience thrown in 4 days on a beach, likely Ko Samui Will use discovery airpass for transit. With 3 extra days to fill, what should we do? Kicking around: - day trips around Bangkok (Ayutthaya, etc) ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,028 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by daawgon on 27/7/2008 at 01:46

3 week itinerary, your critique welcome!

Posted by iciclesecret on 23/7/2008 at 16:29

Your recommendations are much appreciated! We're not huge city fans (didn't enjoy Bangkok), more into beautiful scenery and geography. Do you think we should try and get Pakse/4000 islands in there and drop something else? Let me know your thoughts! thanks loads 28th Dec flight into HCMC, connecting flight to Vietiene 29th Dec – Vietiene 30th Dec – Vietiene-Vang Vieng 31st Dec – Vang Vieng 1st Jan – Vang Vieng 2nd Jan – Vang Vieng 3rd Jan – Vang Vieng-Luang Prabang 4th ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,386 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by iciclesecret on 25/7/2008 at 21:43

you lot are amazing... another itinerary request!

Posted by iciclesecret on 17/7/2008 at 06:37

I've been reading these posts and you're like a fountain of knowledge here! And it's amazing you're all so helpful with itineraries. My partner and I have visited Thailand a couple of times, but it's the only place in this region (been taking holidays in the latin part of the world recently) and we thought it was about time to fix that! We love beautiful scenery and like to have some nightlife, whether it's having a beer in a bar with a local, or just meeting other tourists and partyi ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,327 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by iciclesecret on 22/7/2008 at 16:25

heart broken traveller

Posted by water on 20/7/2008 at 21:16

My boyfriend and I had planned a trip for September, flying into bangkok then going on to Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos. Only he has just dumped me! My question is how safe/enjoyable would it be for a female travelling alone in these places. I´m wondering if I should go or should I just cut my losses on the plane ticket? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,054 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by water on 20/7/2008 at 23:59

Please Help: Visiting Laos, VIetnam and Cambodia - itinerary request!

Posted by cchcal on 18/7/2008 at 00:26

Hey guys I'll most probably visit Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia end of this year. Still saving up money for the travels. Heard it's a great trip. I've did my research but still clueless. Can anyone please shed some light by sending in any itineraries allowing me to go to these 3 countries on a duration of 5 weeks? Appreciate it Cheers Calvin ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,390 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by cchcal on 19/7/2008 at 09:14

Itinerary for SE Asia. Am i doing too much in too little time?

Posted by ulto on 14/1/2008 at 03:16

Well First thing is that i must congratualte everybody involved in making this site one of the best travel sites out there. Here is my itinerary below. Will be leaving 1st October and doing this travelling until about the 2nd week in December. Around 70 days or so. Arrive Bangkok 3 days stay Overnight train to Chiang Mai 4 days stay Bus to Chiamg Kong 1 day stay Slow boat from Huay Xai to Luang Prabang 2 days Luang Prabang 2 days stay Vang Vieng 2 days stay Vientiane 2 days stay Fly ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,708 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by ulto on 15/7/2008 at 17:18

Advice needed...Bangkok, Chang Mai, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, southern Thai islands...

Posted by sunshine87 on 24/6/2008 at 20:19

Advice needed...I am travelling for 7 weeks and plan to go to Bangkok, Chang Mai, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and down to Thai that order! Attempting to get through all the amazing informtion on here, I thought it would be great to get expert advice on realisms of my itinary working out...I have no idea about how long it takes to get everywhere, so would rather get a better understanding before its too late! I am going to Dubai 30th July-10th August. Arrive in Bangkok 10th August p ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 14,951 times, with 41 replies. Last reply by marianwarren on 15/7/2008 at 05:25

40 days in S.E Asia from July 14, starting in Bangkok. Suggested itineraries please

Posted by turab on 10/7/2008 at 01:19

Hey, I hope to be landing in Bangkok on 14 July but need to be in Beijing by about the 20th of August. If any of you guys could suggest some itineraries I would greatly appreciate it. Preferably I would like to make my way north towards Hong Kong and then on to Beijing, i'm happy to use a few flights if it means saving time. I would like to see the culture and natural beauty of the region. Angkor Wat is probably the place I would like to see most as well as some of jungle. I don't mind mis ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,077 times, with no replies.

Updated Itinerary

Posted by rmb on 4/7/2008 at 11:24

OK so I have about 6 weeks(ish) in Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam and was wondering if some more experience travelers could give it a look over....any things that I should change? Thanks! 10/15 Fly into Chiang Mai via KL and head to Huay Xai 10/16 - HX (Giggons experience) 10/17 - HX 10/18 - HX 10/19 - Slow boat to Luang Prabang 10/20 - Arrive in Luang Prabang 10/21 - LP 10/22 - LP 10/23 - LP 10/24 - LP 10/25 - Vang Vieng 10/26 - VV 10/27 - Vientiane 10/28 - V 10/29 - Paske onto C ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,070 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 6/7/2008 at 18:33

vietnam, cambodia, laos itenary help

Posted by kelsey on 26/6/2008 at 05:08

Hi, We have 2 - 2.5 weeks to travel these countries before heading to thailand. At this stage it looks like we will be flying into Bangkok. We want to go to Siem Reap in Cambodia, Laos, and Vietnam. Due to time constraints i'm wondering the best way to try and do this. I think Vietnam will have to be limited to perhaps one place. Appreciate any suggestions of which way to travel and must see places. Cheers! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,503 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 28/6/2008 at 09:26

Buying Fabric

Posted by karyn on 9/6/2008 at 09:17

I am interested in going to a location that sells beautiful fabric that I can bring home to work with. What country/city/area would be suggested to find this? I don't really want a store, but a market type of setting. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,316 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by Tilapia on 23/6/2008 at 19:54

help with vietnam laos itinerary please

Posted by gillj on 18/6/2008 at 13:08

hello we are flying into Hanoi on Dec 14th, leaving from Danang on 5th Jan, and need some advice about what we should aim to do in terms of seeing something of Hanoi area [and Hue?], but spending most time in Laos. Relevant details about us: middle-aged couple [flashpacker +], are keenest on countryside, trekking and would like some opportunities to lounge around on or in water. We're happy to save time by flying but definitely don't want to just jet around the tourist highlights, no matter ho ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,122 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 20/6/2008 at 05:40

Travelling during rainy season

Posted by DLuek on 19/6/2008 at 05:28

I am currently planning a minimum six month trip throughout Southeast Asia beginning in Feb. '09. After the first couple months in Thailand, we'll be spending May, June, July, August and September slowly making our way through Cambodia to far south Vietnam, all the way up to far north Vietnam and through northern Laos until we hope to reach northern Thailand around October. We have no time restrictions and are avoiding booked commitments. Does anyone have advice for travelling through the ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,594 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 19/6/2008 at 18:17

recommended footwear

Posted by ropren on 11/6/2008 at 11:55

Anyone out there have any good recommendations for what to bring in the arena of footwear. Im heading to Thailand, Laos and Cambodia for the first time and trying to pack as little as possible. Does anyone have any suggestions and/or lessons learned as to what to bring and what not to bring? I know its a kindof open-ended question. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,466 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by ChrisM48 on 15/6/2008 at 14:50

Where should we splurge treat ourselves to nicer accomodations - thailand, vietnam or laos?

Posted by nateyu on 28/2/2008 at 08:59

Hi, We are traveling to Chiang Mai, Bangkok, Luang Prabang, Vang Vieng, Hanoi, Hoi An, and Ho Chi Minh City in June. While we plan to travel on a backpackers budget, for one of the locations we would like to splurge a bit on accomodations. I'm not necessarily asking for a reccomendation on the best, most ritziest place we can stay, but more looking for a place that will wow us but also not break the bank. Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,843 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by daawgon on 13/6/2008 at 22:06

Weather July/August SE Asia

Posted by CharFlorica on 11/6/2008 at 12:39

Hello, I was initially planning a trip to SE Asia in May/June for 2 months, however I realized something about those months conflicting. Thus, I am thinking to push the trip further into July/August. However, I am wondering if the wet season is too much at this point in time? Does it restrict any activities (such as riding Elephants, visiting beaches, checking out any ruins, floating market, boat rides etc). Also, I have looked at the weather map and the such. But, as far as packing clot ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 53,643 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by dougumbarger on 11/6/2008 at 15:34

Domestic Flights

Posted by BT82 on 3/5/2008 at 00:29

Afternoon All, Off to SEA at the end of may time for a month. I've planned on spending a week in Thailand (mainly around Chiang Mai), Laos and Cambodia respectively which leaves me a week to account for travel time and a day extra here and there (does this sound about right for a month?) Having read numerous bits of info, I'm hoping to fly a couple of legs to save some time and see some more (eg Chiang Mai to Luang Prebang, Vientienne to Phnom Penh). Can anyone tell me whether its best to ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,401 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by daawgon on 11/6/2008 at 10:44

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page