Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Buying Fabric

Posted by karyn on 9/6/2008 at 09:17

I am interested in going to a location that sells beautiful fabric that I can bring home to work with. What country/city/area would be suggested to find this? I don't really want a store, but a market type of setting. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,280 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by Tilapia on 23/6/2008 at 19:54

help with vietnam laos itinerary please

Posted by gillj on 18/6/2008 at 13:08

hello we are flying into Hanoi on Dec 14th, leaving from Danang on 5th Jan, and need some advice about what we should aim to do in terms of seeing something of Hanoi area [and Hue?], but spending most time in Laos. Relevant details about us: middle-aged couple [flashpacker +], are keenest on countryside, trekking and would like some opportunities to lounge around on or in water. We're happy to save time by flying but definitely don't want to just jet around the tourist highlights, no matter ho ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,097 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 20/6/2008 at 05:40

Travelling during rainy season

Posted by DLuek on 19/6/2008 at 05:28

I am currently planning a minimum six month trip throughout Southeast Asia beginning in Feb. '09. After the first couple months in Thailand, we'll be spending May, June, July, August and September slowly making our way through Cambodia to far south Vietnam, all the way up to far north Vietnam and through northern Laos until we hope to reach northern Thailand around October. We have no time restrictions and are avoiding booked commitments. Does anyone have advice for travelling through the ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,540 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 19/6/2008 at 18:17

recommended footwear

Posted by ropren on 11/6/2008 at 11:55

Anyone out there have any good recommendations for what to bring in the arena of footwear. Im heading to Thailand, Laos and Cambodia for the first time and trying to pack as little as possible. Does anyone have any suggestions and/or lessons learned as to what to bring and what not to bring? I know its a kindof open-ended question. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,407 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by ChrisM48 on 15/6/2008 at 14:50

Where should we splurge treat ourselves to nicer accomodations - thailand, vietnam or laos?

Posted by nateyu on 28/2/2008 at 08:59

Hi, We are traveling to Chiang Mai, Bangkok, Luang Prabang, Vang Vieng, Hanoi, Hoi An, and Ho Chi Minh City in June. While we plan to travel on a backpackers budget, for one of the locations we would like to splurge a bit on accomodations. I'm not necessarily asking for a reccomendation on the best, most ritziest place we can stay, but more looking for a place that will wow us but also not break the bank. Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,820 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by daawgon on 13/6/2008 at 22:06

Weather July/August SE Asia

Posted by CharFlorica on 11/6/2008 at 12:39

Hello, I was initially planning a trip to SE Asia in May/June for 2 months, however I realized something about those months conflicting. Thus, I am thinking to push the trip further into July/August. However, I am wondering if the wet season is too much at this point in time? Does it restrict any activities (such as riding Elephants, visiting beaches, checking out any ruins, floating market, boat rides etc). Also, I have looked at the weather map and the such. But, as far as packing clot ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 53,580 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by dougumbarger on 11/6/2008 at 15:34

Domestic Flights

Posted by BT82 on 3/5/2008 at 00:29

Afternoon All, Off to SEA at the end of may time for a month. I've planned on spending a week in Thailand (mainly around Chiang Mai), Laos and Cambodia respectively which leaves me a week to account for travel time and a day extra here and there (does this sound about right for a month?) Having read numerous bits of info, I'm hoping to fly a couple of legs to save some time and see some more (eg Chiang Mai to Luang Prebang, Vientienne to Phnom Penh). Can anyone tell me whether its best to ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,373 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by daawgon on 11/6/2008 at 10:44

Need Some Help Making an Itinerary

Posted by thosenicotinestains on 5/6/2008 at 01:02

Hi, this is my first time backpacking and I'm going to be spending roughly 8 weeks in SE Asia, first doing a group trip in Thailand with Intrepid (already booked), then hoping to cover Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam... - Fly from Melbourne to Bangkok on the 24th of November - Finish with Intrepid on the 7th of December - Flying out from Saigon on the 16th of January - Must visit Angkor & Luang Prabang Questions: 1) Meeting a friend in Hanoi for the trip south, so want to end up there with ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,012 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by thosenicotinestains on 6/6/2008 at 14:09

limited time - Laos or Cambodia?

Posted by dseckel on 1/6/2008 at 23:07

Planning 2-3 weeks in September in Thailand, with a 5-6 day either Laos (Luang Prabang + either Vang Vieng or gibbonX) or Cambodia (Angor Wat / Siem Riep / Phnom Penh) – no time to do both. Anything opinion / advice in choosing between the tourist trail in Laos vs. the tourist trail in Cambodia? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,809 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 5/6/2008 at 18:56

10 weeks trip itinery

Posted by rmb on 28/5/2008 at 14:10

Hey everyone was looking for advice on how much time I should allow myself for the countries I plan to visit.... I hope to visit: Philippines Malaysia Indonesia Singapore Laos Cambodia Vietnam How much should I allow for each country? I've already seen most of Thailand so I rather spend my time in new countries but I realize I may need to use bangkok to see the northern countries...I'm also not much of a beach person so I don't need to use any days to lay around on a beach somewh ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,476 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by rmb on 29/5/2008 at 11:23

My itinery! first time traveller...

Posted by ee104 on 25/5/2008 at 22:59

Hey guys!! Firstly i am loving the site, seems like the answer to most questions are here! However, as there are a few experts here i thought id stick my plan up and see if ther are any glaring errors... starting in Nov Bankok - Chaing Mai --- whats the best way to do this part? chiang MAi - chiang khong mekong river - to Laos/Luang Prabang -- how easy is this part in terms of border crossing? cheap? FLY L.Prabang - Vientianne Vientianne - Ninh Binh along HCM trail -- not sure about thi ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,934 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by ee104 on 27/5/2008 at 18:53

SE Asia itinerary revised

Posted by michmich11 on 23/5/2008 at 05:20

Hi--still trying to hammer out the details of approximately 3 week itinerary in SE Asia. We really want to see as much as possible while there but we're also wary of exhausting ourselves. We're planing on using a Bangkok Airways Discovery Pass to fly and save time where possible. Here's one option we came up with--is this doable? Should we cut out one place? If so, which? Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks! 6/12-Arrrive BKK 9 pm (after 23 hrs of travel!) 6/15-Fly to Chaing Mai 6 ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,894 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 27/5/2008 at 17:34

Planning a wandering trip

Posted by ropren on 22/5/2008 at 13:23

Hey all, I'm new to this site and SE Asia. I am planning a trip to Thailand, Cambodia and Laos for 5-6 weeks in June - July. I have never travelled the area and would like some recommendations. Generally I don't want to plan it out to much, but rather go where the road leads me. I know I will want to spend a few days in BK, Chang Mai, Siem Reap, Laos then maybe the islands/beaches for the remainder if I have time. I don't want to specifically allot time to each destination as I prefer to s ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,260 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 27/5/2008 at 17:30

Trip Advise : Thai Islands - Laos - Cambo (25 days)

Posted by dharmakaya on 12/5/2008 at 14:46

Have seen some of the suggested itineraries and also some great trip reports here but Im being lazy and selfish and start my own thread so please bear with me! Im not new to Thailand but this trip is huge so treat me like a noob :) Arrive : June 03 - BKK 04 - BKK 05 - Patong (By bus?) 06 - Patong 07 - Patong 08 - 19th June : Islands / Diving Koh Tao/Phangan (Meeting a friend for the FMP 18/19) & others based on your recommendation Post full moon - 20 - 29th June : Laos / C ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,281 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by dharmakaya on 19/5/2008 at 17:33

Good Travel Guides/publications

Posted by vinu1982 on 19/5/2008 at 00:29

Hi I will be going backpacking in October for just over 3 months to Eastern China, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia and Thailand. Possibly KL if I can squeeze it in. I've never gone backpacking and will be going by myself! I will be in China for just over 2 weeks so the bulk of my time will be in SE Asia. I'd be really grateful if anyone can recommend any good books that they've read before going away so they can get a good idea of the places to visit so I can have a rough itinery. Any help w ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,297 times, with no replies.

How do you want it travelfishers?

Posted by thegingerbird on 17/5/2008 at 16:33

Well hello I've been tormenting everyone with questions for my trip for a while now, so the question is how do you want me to report back to everyone? Trip reports, Travelfish blog or entries in each country's forum? I land in HCMC 3 june and have 7 weeks of travelling before flying out of BKK. I have a vague time split of 3 weeks vietnam, 2 weeks laos and 1 week cambodia with a few days at the end spent in Kanchanaburi and BKK. I am a lone newbie to SEA and at the moment the only thing ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,041 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by packtoofull on 18/5/2008 at 06:37

immunisations

Posted by thegingerbird on 15/5/2008 at 22:56

Hi here is some immunisation info just because the cost of them added nearly £200 to the overall cost of my trip. Handing over cash to get stuck with needles brought a tear to this gingerbird’s eye! Approximate prices and timescales – UK May 2008 Rabies 3 injections on day 0, 7 and 21 Each injection costs the prescription charge (£21.30 in total) Yellow Fever 1 injection Costs £40 Japanese encephalitis 3 injections on day 0, 7 and 21 Each injection costs £42 (£ ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,743 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by SBE on 17/5/2008 at 02:57

Music from Cambodia, Thailand and more

Posted by packtoofull on 16/5/2008 at 03:54

I've just added a cool little widget that displays MP3 downloads from Cambodia, Laos, Thailand and Vietnam -- all available from Amazon. So if you're back home, missing the Songs for Life, this could be right up your alley. There's a sample below, with more listings on the relevant country pages. Should you decide to purchase any of the MP3's a commission of 10% gets sent our way. Here's the sample -- I'll add more music into the mix as I figure the widget out better (and have some coffee) ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,187 times, with no replies.

3 week itinerary in SE Asia - Comments needed

Posted by randy_from_canada on 8/5/2008 at 22:28

In the early planning stages of our Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos vacation. We know this is very ambitious. However, this is our second time in the area and will not be including Thailand beaches in our itinerary. Also, time in Cambodia will be spent with girlfriend's relatives (also been there before) D1: Dec 20 - Depart Canada D2: Dec 21 - Late night arrive in BKK D3: Dec 22 - BKK, see only what was not seen 1st visit D4: Dec 23 - Ealry flight to PP D5: Dec 24 - PP D6: Dec 25 - ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,911 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by SBE on 15/5/2008 at 13:18

10 week trip - which way to go?

Posted by rl1465 on 7/5/2008 at 19:12

Hi, Just found this site using Google and I must say it's excellent! Very helpful to me as I'm planning a trip round SE Asia at themoment. My main dilemma at the moment is which way round to go. I'll be leaving the first week of June and returning mid-August and was planning to start in Singapore and work up to Thailand then to Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia, however due to the wet season would it be a better idea to start in Vietnam and work down? Does it make a difference? Thanks in a ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,772 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by rl1465 on 8/5/2008 at 05:49

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page