Southeast Asia forum

Southeast Asia forum

25 days in Thailan, Laos, and Cambodia

Posted by zachmoore on 15/12/2007 at 18:03

Hey - we're heading to S/E Asia for a mid winter holiday,(january - february) be in the area for 25 days - mostly focused on Laos and Cambodia - Angkor. We're flying in and out of bangkok and then our rough plan is to head north to Chang Rai and take the boat to Louang Prabang, spend a few days there then work our way south hanging out some along the way; not really sure where - make our decisions along the way. From Pakxe we'll head back to thailand to get down to poipet and cross into Cambodia ...

Viewed 3,753 times, with 1 reply.

Malaria Tablets Recommendations

Posted by BaznChaz on 1/12/2007 at 06:28

Hi, Can anyone recommend any Malaria tablets to take during our holiday in the far east (places visited will be Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand). Thanks in Advance BaznChaz ...

Viewed 4,746 times, with 3 replies.

2 weeks in Thailand and Vietnam

Posted by manny on 14/11/2007 at 02:08

I know this trip may seem a little rushed, but we only have 2 weeks and want to hit a few spots in Thailand and Vietnam. Here is what I've come up with so far: Day1 Fly to Bangkok Day2 Bangkok Day3 Go to Ko Chang Day4 Ko Chang Day5 Ko Chang Day6 Fly to Hanoi Day7 Hanoi Day8 HoLang Bay Day9 HoLang Bay Day10 Hanoi Day11 HCMC Day12 Go to Mekong Delta Day13 Mekong Delta Day14 HCMC Day15 Fly out of HCMC Does this look doable? Insane? Any opinions/suggestions welcome. We have done ...

Viewed 2,454 times, with 2 replies.

Asia budget airline search added to Travelfish

Posted by somtam2000 on 10/11/2007 at 19:46

We've just added a new-fangled tool that lets you search flight routes flown by Asia-focused budget airlines. You'll see it at the top of the right column of most pages on Travelfish. It's not a booking tool, but rather will tell you which airlines fly from A to B and it then supplies you with links off to those airlines websites. Currently it searches the international and domestic timetables of: AirAsia Bangkok Airways Jetstar Lao Airlines Nok Air One-Two-Go Pacific Airlines PB ...

Viewed 3,620 times, with 1 reply.

3 weeks in the area

Posted by azfreed5 on 9/11/2007 at 11:01

Can someone help us with an itineary for 3 weeks in the region. Here is our tentative plan. Is this too agressive and if not, any recommendations as for what to see? 2/9-Dept US 2/10-Arrive Hong Kong 2/11-Hong Kong 2/12-Hong Kong- Bangkok-Ho Chi Min City (Travel) 2/13-S. Vietnam 2/14-S. Vietnam 2/15-S. Vietnam 2/16-S. Vietnam 2/17-Cambodia 2/18-Cambodia 2/19-Cambodia 2/20- Cambodia-Bangkok-Ko Pha Ngan (Travel) 2/21-Ko Pha Ngan 2/22-Ko Pha Ngan 2/23-Ko Pha Ngan 2/24-Phuket 2/2 ...

Viewed 2,461 times, with 2 replies.

SEA travel

Posted by kptn82 on 25/10/2007 at 13:21

Hi I have a question, im planning a trip sometime next year to SEA, hopefully to cover a bit of SEA including Malaysia and Sing but that can be taken out I have confirm 5 weeks but hopefully it can be 6 - 37days or more. Plannign to land in sing and make my way do Bangkok Itin. is below its is about $2k to flight all those legs below, my question is, should i just book a oneway from Syd to Sing and a return from say VN to sing and go from there? Is it cheaper than booking the enti ...

Viewed 3,135 times, with 2 replies.

Flights from Siem Reap to Bangkok

Posted by vsardi on 3/11/2007 at 21:47

My husband and I are flying to Bangkok, Laos and Cambodia mid-November for 3 weeks and are having difficulty finding flight availability to get from Siem Reap back to Bankok. We were hoping to do Bangkok-Luang Prabang-Luang Prabang-Siem Reap-Siem Reap-Bangkok (sit on a beach somewhere around Bangkok before heading home) I was hoping not to divert from our itinerary :( but due to the lack of flights see no other option. Any suggestions? ...

Viewed 5,651 times, with 1 reply.

Using laptops in streetside cafes - warning

Posted by somtam2000 on 26/10/2007 at 14:26

I'm just finishing up a few weeks of good travel through Cambodia and wanted to pass on a warning to all you other laptop wielders. Earlier in the trip I met a guy who had been using his laptop in a WiFi-enabled shopfront bar/restaurant, he got up and walked back to the bar about 2-3 metres away to order a coffee, heard a smash and his laptop was gone! Some urchin streetside had been eye-balling him and as soon as he was out of his seat this kid bolted over, grabbed it and ran. The guy insist ...

Viewed 3,581 times, with no replies.

New Years eve

Posted by Helmet on 19/10/2007 at 11:21

so what city in northern Laos is good to spend it in or should i do it in Hanoi as thats an option?? traveling alone aswell ...

Viewed 2,639 times, with 1 reply.

From Vientiane to Hanoi

Posted by donnaansell on 1/10/2007 at 19:52

Has anyone been on the 24 hour bus journey from Vientiane to Hanoi? What is it like? I'm considering flying, but its so much more expensive (£75) and I'm on quite a tight budget, so if the journey's not too bad then I'll get the bus. ...

Viewed 2,584 times, with 1 reply.

Which country do you recommend?

Posted by donnaansell on 1/10/2007 at 20:22

I'm currently planning a 10 week trip spending 7 weeks travelling around North Thailand, Laos, Vietnam & Cambodia and then 3 weeks beach hopping in Thailand. My itinery is starting to look really full and we'll be moving every 3 days, so I'm starting to think about missing out a country. I know this is probably just down to personal preference, but if I was going to drop one country from my itinery, which one should I go for? Also if I just choose North or South Vietnam - which is the more ...

Viewed 2,494 times, with 1 reply.

Thailand, Loas, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam itinerarie

Posted by traveltiger on 29/9/2007 at 06:54

I’m heading for SEA for 3 months next month. I would like to roughly follow the Thailand, Loas, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam trip outlined in the suggested itineraries outlined on this site. I would be interested to here from anyone who has done this. perhaps a few pointers on how they got on would help me. I am particularly worried about the Malaria situation. I realize a doctor is the only person that can give you a definitive answer, however what does a doctor in the UK know about SEA that I ...

Viewed 4,632 times, with 4 replies.

Myanmar

Posted by mattocmd on 28/9/2007 at 20:48

I leave next Monday to fly to Bangkok and start my 2-4 month journey through SE asia. I am planning on visiting 4-5 countries there. Back when I was planning this trip, it included 2-3 weeks in Burma. Current events may now allow for this trip. However, I would still like to go (if I am allowed in). I would love to get footage of some of the demonstrations (if possible). I am fully aware that it is a dangerous situation, but I would still like to take my chances. Does anyone know if ...

Viewed 2,705 times, with 1 reply.

travel health and safety tips?

Posted by exacto on 6/9/2007 at 08:48

i was just reading the feature on travel health and safety tips and wondered if anyone had additional tips or suggestions to add. for example, i got mugged once in vientiane by two teenagers on a motor scooter who zoomed past trying to steal my pack, which i had foolishly tied to the basket on the push bike i'd hired. they didn't get the pack, but i did get hurt when they dragged me along the street for several meters. another time, i was really glad when i had some extra pink bismuth ...

Viewed 3,674 times, with 7 replies.

Know Any Good Hong Kong Guide Book?

Posted by chopin on 22/9/2007 at 14:26

I'm sorry if this is out of the focus region, but I figure people here are well-travelled and should have knowledge about this. If you know any good backpacker's guide book for Hong Kong, please let me know. My emphasis is on the info for the budget accommodation, then come the tourist/cultural attractions. Thanks in advance. ...

Viewed 3,853 times, with no replies.

travel budie

Posted by habib on 13/9/2007 at 18:48

Hello everyone, i will be traveling around Asia- Thailand, singapore, mayalsia and maybe China and burma too. I was wodnering if anyone would be around at this time next year May 1st till july 31st 2008. I will be alone so i wouldnt mind joining anyone or getting my plans together with anyone. If you could contact me on habib.sattar@e-mis.com Thanks Habib ...

Viewed 2,788 times, with no replies.

The perfect island

Posted by somtam2000 on 8/9/2007 at 20:39

I was procrastinating online with Google Earth and stumbled across this island southwest of Pakbara: lat=5.68336688796 lon=98.9388357103 If you've got Google Earth, take a look around and see what is the best looking island you can find and post up the coordinates for all to fantasise about. If you don't have Google Earth you can download it here: http://earth.google.com/ (you only need the free one -- Google doesn't need your money!) ...

Viewed 3,106 times, with 1 reply.

Useful websites for other world travel?

Posted by itchyfeet on 9/7/2007 at 08:43

Hi all, After heavily relying upon Travelfish to navigate South East Asia, my partner and I are now in the planning stages of another trip, this time to China, India, Nepal and then on to Africa. We're wondering if anyone knows of sites as informative and reliable as Travelfish for these areas of travel? Any suggestions that you can make would be much appreciated. Cheers, Meg and John ...

Viewed 3,961 times, with 3 replies.

vietnam/laos/cambodia/southern china

Posted by da_misfit on 10/7/2007 at 13:35

Hi We are planning to do a three month trip to these places. We plan to stay at guest houses etc. How much money would anyone suggest we will need each (in U.S$)? ...

Viewed 3,495 times, with 1 reply.

MALARIA

Posted by jayne2402 on 31/7/2007 at 14:16

Hi All, I am visiting Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia and my doctor has said to take Malaria tablets. He has given me the ones called "Doryx". Has anyone taken these before? I am worried about the side effects, mostly diarrhea which i have read on the internet can be a side effect. i know everyone is different. thanks for the help cheers Sarah :-) ...

Viewed 3,849 times, with 12 replies.

Browse more pages of the forum:

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.