Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Learning an asian language

Posted by mattocmd on 2/7/2007 at 22:02

Hello, I have a question that someone might be able to help me with. I am looking to learn a foreign language for both the personal enrichment and to hopefully expand my future career possibilities. Although I still do not know what I want to be "when I grow up," my current dream job would be either governmental (specifically Foreign Services Officer or a traveling auditor for the G.A.O.) or a career in the business world (international sales/travel). I still need to knock three continen ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,569 times, with 4 replies.

HELP!! Itinery advice (3 weeks Indochina)

Posted by emsylee on 19/7/2007 at 21:39

Hello! As a first time traveller to Vietnam, Cambodia & Laos, I'm looking for some expert advice on my itinery idea. Flying from London via Hong Kong so that we can spend NY there on the way home. I'm not sure about the length of time scheduled in each place and don't want to be rushed off my feet but its so hard to decide which places to go and which to leave out!! Any help would be greatly appreciated! and would love to hear from anyone who has spent christmas in Laos or NY in HK! 12 De ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,056 times, with 1 reply.

WEATHER

Posted by jayne2402 on 11/7/2007 at 16:44

hi all just some advice needed again, sorry. im travelling through Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam during September/October. ive heard it rains lots (trust me to pick those months). was just wondering if anyone knows the best type of clothing to take, summer clothes etc? thanks again Sarah ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,513 times, with 1 reply.

Itinerary help: Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia

Posted by sleepygirl on 29/9/2006 at 23:13

Hi everyone! I'm planning to go on a 2 week trip to Laos, Vietnam, and Cambodia. I know.. very short time for such large coverage but I can't help it! I've tried to plan out the itinerary as best as possible but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :) 0: Overnight train from BKK to Nong Khai 1: Arrive to Vientiane, straight through on bus to Vang Vieng 2: Vang Vieng 3: Bus to Luang Prabang 4: Luang Prabang 5: Fly to Hanoi, straight through on bus to Halong Bay 6: Halong Bay ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 8,141 times, with 8 replies.

Itinerary Advice please!!! Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia

Posted by seanstenning on 8/7/2007 at 05:56

Hi, Myself and a friend have booked flights into/out of Bangkok, from 28sep-10dec 2007, so we have just over 10 weeks in the region, and want to travel round Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, and Thailand. The regional explorer on this site looks amazing (nice one guys) and it says that 10 weeks is a comfortable amount of time within which to do this, but it seems tight, especially if we want to spend at least a week island hopping at the end of our tour. So, I guess my main question is, is it p ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,792 times, with 6 replies.

Itinerary Advice - Thailand, Cambodia, Laos

Posted by sandy_28 on 4/7/2007 at 03:54

Hey Everyone, Would really really appreciate some advice on my itinerary. I'm leaving shortly for a 30 day trip and have come up with the following itinerary. As a side note, would also like to add that i am on the fence on wether to go to Chiang Mai for the 'tribe trekking' experience versus Northern Laos. I've heard Laos is more authentic but more rugged, while Chiang mai has more commercialized and so might be easier. Any advice on this would be appreciated. To this extent, my itinerary inc ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,172 times, with 3 replies.

Thailand/Cambodia July 2007

Posted by danallison on 22/6/2007 at 08:49

Im off to Thailand/Cambodia in 10 days, for 31 days. I thought I should put my itinery up, and would welcome any comments you may have. I've lurked on this site for a while now, and most of my inspiration has come from here (and thorntree). Bangkok - 2 nights Kanchanaburi - 4 nights Sangkhlaburi - 3 nights Bangkok - 2 nights (fly to PP) Phnom Penh - 2 nights Siem Reap - 6 nights Battambang - 3 nights Chanthaburi - 1 night Koh Chang - 5 nights bangkok - 3 nights We do want to t ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,493 times, with 4 replies.

DVD's from Vietnam

Posted by HomerJSimpson on 24/6/2007 at 18:10

Hi there. I bought a few DVD's recently in Hanoi. I just tried to post them to Australia, but was refused (something about Vietnamese customs..) I was assured I could take them out of Vietnam personally and not pay duty, assuming of course there wasn't a commercial quantity, as I believe there isn't. A few questions: 1) Can I take 27 DVD's out of Vietnam without being taxed? 2) Can I take 27 DVD's into Australia without being taxed? 3) If I can't do either of those above, what is ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,974 times, with 3 replies.

New Hanoi Scam?

Posted by HomerJSimpson on 24/6/2007 at 17:24

Hi there. The other day I got approached by a guy in Hanoi asking for a donation to the Vietnamese Red Cross. Sure I said after a close inspection of an official looking Vietnamese document and identity card. I donated 50000 dong and when I asked for a receipt, there wasn't any forthcoming. Since then I've been approached several times and turned them down, including one very pushy girl who demanded I donate 50000 dong to her when I told her I had already donated that amount already that day. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,152 times, with no replies.

Advice Need for SE Asia Itinerary

Posted by jella82 on 21/6/2007 at 06:15

Hi guys, I'm heading to SE Asia from mid Sept to mid Dec. Want to get in Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia & maybe Burma depending on political situation (we are flying into and out of Singapore). Any suggestions esp when to be in which country to avoid the rain!? I'm a bit bamboozled by the amount to see and do! I've have had a read of some of the explorer trips and Lonely Planet but I'm more confused than ever! We want to hit all the tourist spots but get off the beaten track too.. A ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,912 times, with 1 reply.

10 week grand tour - Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia...

Posted by HomerJSimpson on 18/4/2007 at 19:46

Hello all, I am planning a trip to Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia. Without giving too much detail; 16 days in Thailand - Bangkok to Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai to Huay Xai, including 5 day Thai cooking class in Chiang Mai and 2 day elephant trekking in Chiang Rai 14 days in Laos - Huay Xai to Pak Beng to Luang Prabeng to Phonsavan to Vang Vieng to Vientiane to Tha Khaek to Savannakhet to Sepon 30 days in Vietnam - Hue to Hanoi to Dien Bien Phu to Lai Chau to Sapa to Hanoi to Ha ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,720 times, with 4 replies.

Airline search site?

Posted by rkmoilan on 19/4/2007 at 01:35

Is there a Web site that searches all low-budget Asian airlines, something similar to an Orbitz or Expedia? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,077 times, with 3 replies.

Help with adjusted itinerary - laos + cambodia

Posted by syzafar on 13/5/2007 at 08:04

hi guys, based on suggestions, i've cut out stuff from our itinerary to laos and cambodia. now, i'm wondering what to do with the last two days. i don't really want to hang out in phnom penh unless it would be better than a side trip. so... day 1 - fly from bangkok to luang prabang day 2 - luang prabang day 3 - luang prabang (side trip) - ideas? day 4 - luang prabang (side trip) day 5 - luang prabang day 6 - fly from Luang Prabang to Siem Reap day 7 - Siem Reap day 8 - Siem Reap d ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,347 times, with 3 replies.

from Saigon to Luang Prabang along the Mekong

Posted by gecko on 6/5/2007 at 20:34

I really love the idea of travelling along the whole of the Mekong from VN to Laos. Is it do-able? Have you done it? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,967 times, with 1 reply.

Bangkok - Angkor - Phnom Phenn - HCMC - Hanoi - South Thai Islands

Posted by oisin on 13/4/2007 at 20:26

Myself & girlfriend fly into Bankok on June 10th and fly out on the 12 July. During that 4-5wks plan to see Angkor Wot, Chu Chi Tunnels, Phnom Phenn, HCMC maybe pop out to Mui Ne before travelling up coast to Hanoi stopping at Hoi An and possibly Hue. I want to do an overnight around Halong Bay. But we want to reach the islands in south thailand by 27th June - can we fly from hanoi to the islands or what is the best route for us? We will need to cross from thailand, into cambodia and then vi ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 7,396 times, with 9 replies.

5 Weeks Thai-Indochina

Posted by Tarcus on 17/4/2007 at 08:52

Hi, Im planning a trip to Thailand,Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia for 5 weeks. Travelfish is helping me a lot for this purpose. I did a first itinerary but I don`t know if it`s to much for 5 weeks. At this moment I don`t know exactly how long to stay in each place. I will be really grateful for any advice. This is my itinerary : Bangkok Ayutthaya Lopburi Sukhothai Chiang Mai Chiang Khong Huay Xai Pakbeng Luang Prabang Vang Vieng Vientiane Tha Khaek Savannakhet Hue Da Nang ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,202 times, with 1 reply.

Another intinerary q.....sorry,

Posted by withshoeson on 16/4/2007 at 18:44

Ok. So I am about to book flights for mid July- mid oct , but I need to know if my itinerary is possible, or to crammed, anything I should take out or put in. I’ve planned for 35-45AUD a day and a 600AUD fund for visa’s, Halong and Angkor. And a credit card for the odd flight. Good planning? I will be doing the normal loop. Cambodia- 2 Weeks Siem Reip, Battambang, Phnom Penh, Sihonoukville, Kampot Vietnam- 3.5 weeks Saigon, Dalat, Na Trang, Hoi An, Hue, Hanoi, Halong Bay, Mai Chau Laos ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,047 times, with 2 replies.

3-4 weeks Cambodia-Vietnam-Laos itinerary

Posted by judenbot on 16/4/2007 at 13:49

Hello I would appreciate recommendations on a 3-4 weeks Cambodia-Vietnam-Laos itinerary. I plan to enter Cambodia overland from Bangkok, go south to South Vietnam, then go overland/fly through Vietnam and then enter northern Laos. I will most probably be coming to Bangkok overland from Singapore, so if there might be a better option available (flying into Cambodia from Singapore for example), by all means please do mention it (I have already visited Bangkok so it's not imperative to visit it ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 9,478 times, with 1 reply.

Two weeks in Thailand and Cambodia

Posted by rkmoilan on 15/4/2007 at 21:57

We're first-time travelers to Asia, and we're planning to take a roughly 2-week trip in late November. We're thinking of 6 nights in Bangkok, 4 nights in Siem Reap and 4 nights in Phuket, taking flights for the regional travel. Is this too much time in Bangkok and Siem Reap? Should we try to squeeze in another city, or even country? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,243 times, with 1 reply.

Help with 2-wk itinerary in Laos and Cambodia

Posted by syzafar on 15/4/2007 at 23:35

Hi all, i've read the posts, features, and suggested itineraries...now let's see how my itinerary holds up. any help is much appreciated: day 1 - fly from bangkok to luang prabang day 2 - luang prabang day 3 - luang prabang day 4 - boat to Muang Ngoi day 5 - Muang Ngoi day 6 - Muang Ngoi day 7 - back to Luang Prabang via Nong Kiaow day 8 - fly from Luang Prabang to Vientiane day 9 - Vientiane day 10 - Vientiane day 11 - fly from Vientiane to Siem Reap day 12 - Siem Reap day 13 ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,086 times, with 1 reply.

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page