Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

advice on itinenary

Posted by steveandlesley on 8/4/2007 at 02:57

We will soon be travelling through s.e.a and have come up with the following idea for an itinenary for eight weeks. Does this sound do-able ? Hanoi Halong Bay Hue Na Trang Miu Ne Siagon Phnom Penh Siem Reap Batambang Phnom Penh Kratie Stung Treng Don Khon, Don Dhet Champasak Pakse Ubon Rathachani Bangkok, Would appreciate any advise or ideas ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,060 times, with 2 replies.

by land or by air

Posted by sumana on 12/4/2007 at 13:28

Hi, I was wondering if there are any reasonably priced (i.e. CHEAP) flights from Chaing Mai/Bangkok to Luang Prabang/Vientienne and also from LP/Vien to Hanoi. We could travel by bus or train, but if cheap flights exist it would be worth it if we can save time. Any help is appreciated! Sumana ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,015 times, with 1 reply.

siem reap to bangkok

Posted by cynko on 5/4/2007 at 20:34

hi- i'm trying to get a sense of whether its possible to leave siem reap in the early morning + arrive in bangkok in time for the night train to chiang mai (it departs at 7.30). the guides ive looked at all say to budget 7-11 hours, but i dont have a sense of how early its possible to leave from siem reap. i've been advised to buy tickets for the train in advance + i dont want to spend an extra night in bangkok if i can help it. thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,792 times, with 2 replies.

Siem Reap - Saigon

Posted by scoopleloop on 6/4/2007 at 18:04

Is it possible to travel from Siem Reap to Saigon bypassing Phnom Penh . Ither by bus train or boat . Cheers Neil ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,280 times, with 1 reply.

hostel costs

Posted by scoopleloop on 5/4/2007 at 18:39

Hi I am new to this forum and the area so excuse my ignorance . Thinking about doing a month or so between Thailand , Laos , Cambodia and Vietnam . Something along the same lines as the sample itinery on this site . My querie's are this . Are the prices listed for hostels / hotels per person per night or per room per night ,and how upto date are they ? Also is transport available between al places listed on the sample itinery "The Big One " Cheers Neil ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,829 times, with 1 reply.

travel times and routes

Posted by sumana on 3/4/2007 at 15:09

Hi, I'm leaving for SE Asia soon, and I just wanted to get some advice about travel times. I was wondering how long on average it takes to go from Chaing Mai to Luang Prabang. Also, are there any overland routes from Vientienne to Hanoi (that take less than 1 day of travel)? Likewise, are there any flights or over land routes from Hue to Phnom Penh or from Hue to Siem Reap? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Sumana ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,525 times, with 8 replies.

Our itinery

Posted by drutherford on 29/3/2007 at 14:09

Hi everyone, I wonder if you would mind having a look at the first draft of our itinery. Just so you know, we are rockclimbers so I have had to allow extra time in Chaing Mai and Vang Vieng to accommodate this. We are trying to do this overland rather than flying just so we can see the countries and their surrounds. We prefer mtns than beaches. We are willing to fly from Hanoi to Saigon if we absolutely have to (if this portion is too stretched) I would be very grateful on any feed ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,366 times, with 5 replies.

A word on dorms and security

Posted by somtam2000 on 20/3/2007 at 08:43

Having just talked to a traveller at the guesthouse I'm staying at, she arrived late last night and crashed in one of the dorms (8-person dorm). While the guesthouse offers a locker, she opted not to use it and woke this morning to find her daypack gone. In it was her brand new camera, iPod, all her paperwork (passport, credit cards, travellers cheques etc). A bit of a bum start on the first night of what was supposed to be a two-month-long SE Asia trip. She's (understandly) pretty cut up about ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,379 times, with 2 replies.

thail/laos/cam/viet itinerary suggestions

Posted by cynko on 17/3/2007 at 00:27

hi all- i've really enjoyed reading this forum over the last few days! a friend + are are preparing for a trip to se asia in may/june + i thought i'd post our tentative itinerary here + see if anyone has suggestions... my main question- is this even feasible in 5 weeks?! i dont want to be on the move every single day, but theres so much to see + do- i'm having a hard time cutting things out! (BTW- this started out as a 5 week trip to thailand + maybe angkor wat) many thanks for your advice ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,439 times, with 2 replies.

The New BKK Airport.............That Old Chestnut!!!!!

Posted by steviej on 13/3/2007 at 04:33

This has probably been flogged to death BUT........... We have a flight home from BKK to the UK at 23:35hrs. There's a chance of a flight from SGN to BKK that gets in Bangkok at 21:40hrs, are we gonna be pushing our luck if we go for this option. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,051 times, with 3 replies.

the best landscape city in china

Posted by guilinese on 12/3/2007 at 17:48

Do you want to pay a visit to China before 2008 Olympic Game, Do you hear about Guilin Yangshuo where has the reputation of having the most beautiful landscape under heaven. It is a dream place for many tourists who want to see the real natural landscape and touch the countryside life. Hilltops pop up from nowhere like trees in the forest and they are shaped like buns, camels, fishes, saw-teeth, horses, etc. It is a city you must visit or you will miss those beautiful landscape there. Rive ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,951 times, with 1 reply.

Time to switch planes in Hong Kong

Posted by CalgaryJen on 7/3/2007 at 12:01

I know this question isn't related to SE Asia but I was hoping someone would know. I fly from Bangkok - Hong Kong for a connection to fly from Hong Kong - Vancouver. I have 1 hour to get from a Thai airways flight to a Air Canada flight. I'm assuming my luggage will get transferred on its own, but with customs and what not (what else??) will I have enough time to make my connecting flight? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,030 times, with no replies.

Contraception

Posted by Dan87 on 28/2/2007 at 06:12

I will be spending 6 months travelling in Thialand, Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos. Are the condoms found in these countrys safe to use if i buy from decent places such as phamaricies and clinics, or big stalls and supermarkets that look respectable? Or would you advice taking them with me? Just 6 months along time and heat can affect condoms so the long i store them in my backpack the worse. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,213 times, with 2 replies.

japanese encephalitis? Yes or No!

Posted by Dan87 on 28/2/2007 at 06:07

How common is it for backpackers to have this? (The nurse at my doctors was terrible and new less than me, and just read it from a sheet of paper.) I will be travelling throughout South East Asia (thialand, Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos) and have already read a bit about Jap B. I get the impression you have to be in a remote area that has pig farms and stuff. I will be doing hill tribe trecks in both Thailand (Chaing Mai) and Veitnam (Sapa) I am also considering doing trecking in some remote les ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 10,162 times, with 2 replies.

Laos to Vietnam

Posted by drutherford on 28/2/2007 at 16:33

Hi everyone My husband and I were originally planning on doing the recommended Travelfish "The Region trip" (Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam). We have 8-9 weeks but we are thinking that it might be abit too much to cram in even though we desperately want to see all 4 countries. So as an alternative to try and save time we were thinking of doing Thailand, Huoy Xi/LuangPrabang/Vang Vieng/Vientienne then head to Vietnam (Sapa area) via Northern Laos and leaving Sth Laos for next time. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,046 times, with 1 reply.

thailand [nong khai] - laos - vietnam [hanoi]

Posted by cmil on 24/2/2007 at 22:35

well... my next trip is planned for this october. i wanted to hear if someone in here has some experiences with getting from nong khai all the way over to hanoi [without flight!]. bus/train..? or maybe even from surin in northeast thailand. just some awesome trip from this northeastern area to hanoi... cmil. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,082 times, with 1 reply.

advice on where to go please!

Posted by claudette on 25/2/2007 at 04:48

i'm starting off in thailand but would really like to explore some of either cambodia, laos or vietnam- really not sure which would be the easiest to get to from thailand or the most worthwhile a visit. I only have about 4 1/2 weeks in total. Any advice on a route/which countries/particular places to go would be wonderful! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,940 times, with 1 reply.

Weather in may Thailand / Vietnam / Cambodia

Posted by dNicky on 21/2/2007 at 16:24

Hi, I'm planning a trip to Asia in may, I'm looking for a destination where the weather is not too bad (rain....), and just a good destination for some relaxing on the beach as well as some travelling around and adventure. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance, Nicky ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,462 times, with 1 reply.

Internal Flights - prebook or wait till we get there?

Posted by drutherford on 8/2/2007 at 10:36

Hi We're off to SEAsia in May and have 8-9 weeks travel through Nthern Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. At this stage this will all be done overland, however we would definitely consider flying a few legs if we run out of time. My question is, is it ok to wait until we get there to book any flights? We don't want to be restricted to a time schedule and so I am reluctant to prebook flights in case we don't end up needing them, or in case we have to rush to a particular city in or ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,098 times, with 3 replies.

Most Useless Thing to carry

Posted by tsargood on 6/9/2006 at 18:22

Hello! I’m looking for a list of items you hated while travelling. What was the Most Useless Thing you ever carried around? (Lets call it the M.U.T.). My MUT was a decent heavy pair of hiking boots that never made it to my feet but were too valuable to throw away…. and, not to forget to mention a rock I found in a cave in Libya that I thought was a pre-history stone axe head that I carried for 9 months back to Australia before finding out it was just a plain old rock! I now have it as ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,905 times, with 7 replies.

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page