Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Necessary time to change plains on Bangkok Airport

Posted by stefanovic on 9/2/2007 at 22:00

On july 7th I arrive on Bangkok airport at 9.50 and the plain to Hanoi departs at 11.45. Do you think that I will have enough time to change plains (concerning our luggage, visa, etc.)? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,900 times, with 1 reply.

THE REGION: Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam explorer

Posted by drutherford on 5/2/2007 at 08:40

Hi I just had a look at the "THE REGION: Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam explorer" itinery under theTravelfish Trip Planner. We have 8 (possibly 9) weeks so this looks absolutely ideal. Has anyone done this (or similar)? Is 8 weeks enough time to do this? It does say that 8-10 weeks would be comfortable, but it seems to cover an awful lot of ground. I've heard that travel in Lao especially can be quite difficult. Any experiences or tips you can share on this would be greatly appreci ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,349 times, with no replies.

A few words about bargaining

Posted by marianwarren on 1/2/2007 at 16:19

Hi Travelfishies I have thought long and hard about whether I should comment on this subject, but seriously; tight-fisted bargaining is not very attractive and demeans us in the eyes of the locals – Westerners can afford to travel, for many Easterners, this will never be an option. Within SE Asia, mainly Laos and Cambodia two nations are becoming unpopular, one European and one Middle Eastern. That 50 cents we bargain so hard for: may mean the difference as to whether the locals eat protei ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,473 times, with 3 replies.

Tours

Posted by bex_nz00 on 31/1/2007 at 10:02

Hi there, I am planning on doing some travelling around Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam (around 3 months altogether) and was hoping to include an organised tour in 1 (or more?) of the countries to meet people and to take the pressure off a bit. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have looked at Intrepid and G.A.P Adventures which seem okay. I don't want to pay too much and want it to be as basic as possible. Is it possible to book these kind of things with local operators on arrival? Or ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,456 times, with 3 replies.

Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and Malasayia

Posted by lcoyne on 29/1/2007 at 18:11

Hi All Looking to travel around south east Asia on my own for 3 months. First time traveling by myself for this lenght of time. Just wondering if it's easy enough to get around? and does anyone recommend any good hostels along the way, that offer any good trips that i could join? Would really just like to wing it.....Any suggestions would be really appreciated ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,821 times, with 1 reply.

Malarone..............UK

Posted by steviej on 29/1/2007 at 23:18

Hi All, Just to let you know (if your in the UK), Boots online do Malarone for £2.10 per tab on privaye prescription. Calculate for 9 tabs plus the number of days your away. Sounds expensive but it's cheaper than dying.................. :-( chill steviej ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,083 times, with no replies.

11 Vietnam to Lao bus routes to be launched in 2007

Posted by somtam2000 on 29/1/2007 at 10:03

This very interesting story is on the official Vietnam Tourism website. It suggests that a number of international bus routes are to be opened between Vietnam and Laos. The specific routes are: Kon Tum – Vientiane (already open) Kon Tum – Champasak (already open) Kon Tum – Attapue (already open) Dien Bien Phu – Udomxai Dien Bien Phu - Luang Prabang Ha Tinh – Khammuon Gia Lai – Champasak Quang Binh – Vientiane Dak Lak – Vientiane Dak Lak – Champasak While the ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,997 times, with no replies.

family travelling...BKK- HCM via Hanoi

Posted by spiralism3 on 13/11/2006 at 13:08

Hi there. I'm loving the site and finding it very useful, so hope some of you might have ideas opinions and views to help my family and i have The Great Time we already know we'll have... We're australians...my brother his partner and two girls 7 & 11. Fying into BKK late November(2 WEEKS:))and 5 weeks later home from Saigon.We want to see as much as possible, while still having time to Chill on some beaches, catch some elephants and visit some temples... the plan is as such so far:- *Arri ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,886 times, with 3 replies.

Ho Chi Minh City to BKK on Bangkok airways info

Posted by esseffe on 14/1/2007 at 05:24

I thought that someone asked this question already but I cannot locate the post- anyway I emailed Bangkok Airways just after Christmas and this was the response that they gave me about the proposed SGN-BKK service: Thank you for your interests in Bangkok Airways' services. According to your e-mail, we are so sorry to inform you that now our manager have no any confirmation that when flight from / to Ho Chi Minh City will be opening? Please check again around next month that when wi ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,727 times, with 1 reply.

Itinerary for very short SE Asia trip- help!

Posted by esseffe on 10/1/2007 at 00:00

Help! I'm an Asia first timer trying to plan a trip but it's a short one, in April. We are thinking of doing a 9 day trip from Bangkok to Ho Chi Minh Citywith Gap. We will have 3 days from when we fly in to Bangkok and 5 days from when we arrive in Ho Chi Minh to when we fly home from Bangkok. Current thinking is: First three days 1. Spend the first few days in Chang Mai and then head off on the trip. OR 2. Catch some sun on one of the islands for a few days before going on ou ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,455 times, with 6 replies.

I just want to say.....

Posted by princessdisaster on 5/1/2007 at 11:49

80 sleeps till I fly out of Melbourne to Bangkok! yay ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,886 times, with no replies.

Laptop or notebook so I can download photo

Posted by puneh on 2/12/2006 at 00:07

I have been asking my hubby if he can bring his laptop or notebook in order for us to download our digital photos. we will be traveling Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos. He feels it is just too risky and it migh tget stolen. I told him that SE Asia countries seem very safe. Few questions: 1. Can I bring laptop? 2. how else can I store my photos? for example to storing them on a cd ? also can I leave it in the hotel while we are around town or should we carry it with us the whol ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,503 times, with 6 replies.

Finding accommodation without booking ahead

Posted by Squeezie on 24/12/2006 at 08:21

I've had a look in the accommodation section on this site and have a pretty good idea of the kind of thing that is available. My question is this: I'm travelling on a fairly open itinerary thru Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam and don't want to be in the position where I have to be in a certain place on a certain date due to accommodation being booked, so how easy is it in practice to just rock up from the bus/train station/dock and be able to get reasonable accommodation? I've only ever done organ ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,617 times, with 2 replies.

More budget questions

Posted by marianwarren on 5/7/2006 at 11:26

Dear Somtam What US$ budget per day would you suggest for 3 people (sharing a room), for 67 days visiting Thailand, Laos and Cambodia? We are buying discovery passes for Bankok - Chiang Mai: Vientiene - Pakse: Phomn Penh - Siem Reap so that cost is outside the budget. We would like to splurge on a few nights at Sala Phae but am happy with backpacker type accomodation as we don't require a/c, tv or minibars. Am loosely following your suggested itineraries for North/South Laos and Cambodia a ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,601 times, with 8 replies.

Weather in Laos / north of Vietnam July / August & beaches in the north of Vietnam

Posted by stefanovic on 19/12/2006 at 17:15

During July and August 2007 I would like to spend 4 or 5 weeks in Laos and the north of Vietnam. But I have still 2 questions about that trip: - What about the weather conditions? I know that it is the raining season in Laos, but is it still sunny most of the time or are there clouds all over the day? Is it possible to do trekkings, make boattrips, etc.? And what about Vietnam (Ha Long bay and possible beaches for example)? - My girlfriend likes to spend a week or so in a nice beach region ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 7,806 times, with 1 reply.

Bangkok Airport

Posted by steviej on 17/12/2006 at 04:41

Hi fellow fishes, We're looking to book a few flights with Discovery Airpass and my question concerns transit times in the new Suvanabhumi Airport. We arrive at approx 13:35hrs and there is an opportunity to catch a flight to Vientiane at 15:10hrs on the same day as we don't really want to stop in BKK. Are we being a little unrealistic or does the new airport lend itself to easy transit. chill stevie ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,156 times, with 2 replies.

Don Khon to Hoi An

Posted by Benjamin on 13/12/2006 at 17:52

How long would it take to get from Don Khon to Hoi An, and what is the best way to go? My wife and I are taking our trip slow and trying to stay only in super relxaing locations. But we want to finish up in Hoi An to get some tailoring done. Thanks Benjamin ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,553 times, with no replies.

From Ho Chi Minh to Laos air, train, or drive?

Posted by ladolcevita on 29/11/2006 at 17:36

What is the best way to get from Ho Chi Minh to Laos air, train, bus? If by train or bus, how long does it take and approx cost. If by air can I wait until I get to Ho Chi Minh and find a domestic flight the last week of Dec. 2006. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 7,180 times, with 4 replies.

Is this itinerary doable or are we nuts?

Posted by amz155 on 2/12/2006 at 02:58

Hello all, After much research I've come up with a tentative itinerary. I'd love to hear comments, suggestions, criticisms to help me adjust the plan. Yes, I know it seems a bit rushed so I'm looking for planning help. We have 31 days in total. Unpredictable travel delays, illnesses, etc. aside, is this plan humanly possible? Thanks and I greatly appreciate the patience of those experienced traveller's who take the time to offer itinerary advice to a novice like me :) Day 1 & 2- Travel ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,302 times, with 4 replies.

Discovery Airpass

Posted by steviej on 2/12/2006 at 17:59

MMMmmm, Just had a look at the website for the Discovery Airpass and noted that there could be a new route fron SGN to BKK added in the near future. Does anybody 'On the Ground' have details or heard any snippets of news. chill stevie ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,650 times, with no replies.

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page