Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia HELP!

Posted by puglet on 11/11/2006 at 08:58

Ok I have finally convinced my boyfriend there is more to life than laying by the pool in exspensive hotels but now I have to organise to perfect trip! We want to go through Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia, preferably in no more than 3 weeks (is this not enough time??). We are not planning to go until well into next year but I want to get planning now so any help would be much appreciated! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,315 times, with 5 replies.

Adios muchachos

Posted by marianwarren on 15/11/2006 at 01:57

Hi guys We fly out tonight so possibly my last post for the year. My best wishes for Christmas and the New Year to all Travelfishies whether travelling or 'resting' Sontam, let me congratulate you on gurudom ... can you levitate yet? Will be thinking of you & S around the 8th. Travel well Marian ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,213 times, with 3 replies.

electical adapters-which one

Posted by sglasson on 30/10/2006 at 00:13

I would like to purchase an adapter to charge my camera/hook up laptop during trip to Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos. Any suggestions on which one(s) to buy? I've heard that the two pronged one (used also in France) works. Also, any suggestions on where to buy cheap and lightweight ones. thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,153 times, with 2 replies.

To tour or not to tour?

Posted by Tod87 on 20/10/2006 at 14:54

Hi People! I am planning to go travelling in Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand. Before there though I am looking at going to India and China. At the moment I am torn on whether to pre book tours of Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand with a company like Intrepid or to just go and do my own thing using their sample itineries. The tours do sound brilliant but the majority of them cover a large distance in not too many days whereas I think I would want longer then what they offer. The tours are also ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,239 times, with 5 replies.

Grocery stores?

Posted by amz155 on 19/10/2006 at 08:35

This may sound a bit silly but are there "grocery stores" or "corner stores" in Cambodia or Laos? If not, where would one find pre-packaged snacks/foods? Is there such a thing to stock up on a few simple items to make packed lunches? Thanks. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,265 times, with 2 replies.

Proper pronounciation

Posted by bellydancingeva on 3/10/2006 at 00:27

What is the proper pronounciation of the following: Luang Prabang? Vang Vieng? Vietianne? Siem Reap? If anyone could spell it out for me phoenetically that would be great! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 9,681 times, with 7 replies.

Treehouse Guesthouse?

Posted by sophiewin on 6/10/2006 at 02:13

Hi, My boyfriend studies in India and I study in Denmark so we usually meet up in eastasia for christmas/newyears. I'm searching for a small tranquil place preferably with a beautiful aesthetic atmosphere. Last year we found Sang Tong Huts in Mae Hong Son, Thailand which was amazingly beautiful. It was like living in the air in the middle of the teak tree forest. Not wanting to repeat a successfull recipe but to explore new locations in the world I wonder if there is someone else who knows a si ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,546 times, with no replies.

How to get from Phnom Penh to Phu Quoc - by land!

Posted by clareabell on 4/10/2006 at 18:40

Currently in Phnom Penh and wanting to get to Phu Quoc quickly by land. What do you suggest is the best means? Is it easy to get from Chau Doc to Rach Gai? What are the costs involved, and do I need to spend a night somewhere in between? Thanks, clareabell ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,970 times, with 1 reply.

Salads and fruit drinks in Thailand and Laos

Posted by robbo on 2/10/2006 at 19:01

Hello We will be travelling to Laos and Thailand in Jan/Feb 2007 and apart from other attractions we are looking forward to enjoying the food in both countries. However we read in guide books and Travelfish that salads and fruit drinks are high risk and understandibly so ( water etc ). But on reading articles about food, writers rave about the salads and fruit drinks ( markets etc ) and appear to be a vital part of the cuisines of both countries. Should we play it safe and avoid these foods or ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,950 times, with 3 replies.

Where else?

Posted by bellydancingeva on 1/10/2006 at 23:50

Oops. Too trigger happy with the keyboard I guess so nothing posted above; here goes again...... Just wanted suggestions on what other stops along the way we should consider on this route: BKK-Luang Prabang (fly) - bus to Vang Vieng -bus to Vietianne -overnight bus to Pakse -Don Det -Kratie (overnight stop) -Phnom Penh -bus to Siem Reap -overland back to Bkk. If time permits we were thinking a few days in Sihanoukville (i.e. PP-snookyville-PP-SR....) Any suggestions that woul ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,477 times, with 3 replies.

Souvenirs

Posted by bellydancingeva on 30/9/2006 at 21:36

While travelling through Thailand, Laos and Cambodia what souvenirs would people recommend to keep an eye out for. I'm definately not talking about cheap knock off stuff in BKK but items that really signify where they're from. Will be travelling through BKK, Luang Prabang, Vietiane, Phnom Penh, Siem Ream and other stops along the way. Love markets and handmade trinkets. What should we save room for? Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,495 times, with 1 reply.

Canadian debit cards

Posted by soccermom on 30/9/2006 at 09:26

Firstly, have been looking at this website and reading the messageboard for several months as we have planning a trip- great site! We really appreciate the information and the people who help out with advice. Have been trying to compare debit card fees for canadian bank cards. Has anyone located a website that shows comparisons for international transactions and currency exchange fees? I have seen comments about UK cards but none for Canada. Also, my current card does not have a maest ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,543 times, with 1 reply.

Travel Chiang Rai/Chiang Khong/Laos

Posted by GussieG on 9/9/2006 at 18:01

Am planning a trip to Laos this November, but am a bit short on time. What I would like to know is; if I fly into Chiang Rai airport mid afternoon, how easily/quickly could I make it to Chiang Khong the same day? And is it then easy enough to cross the border into Laos the following morning to catch the (slow) boat to Luang Prabang that day? Any info would be greatly appreciated. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,233 times, with 7 replies.

Linguistic question

Posted by marianwarren on 3/9/2006 at 16:15

Hi everyone Can anyone advise when are "h's" pronounced in Thai, Lao and Khmer? What are the guidelines? Is Luang Nam Tha, - Ta, or Tha. Trying not to be total farang (as if appearance won't give the game away). Prefer not to buy 3 phrasebooks. The tonal differences are scarey. I love the phrase "mai mai mai mai mai" which means in Thai "new wood doesn't burn, does it?". Kind regards Marian ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,080 times, with 3 replies.

Vaccinations needed

Posted by gillfred on 1/9/2006 at 18:25

Hi, we are travelling to Thailand (north and south for 3 weeks), Laos (1 week) and Vietnam (1 week) Oct to mid November. Mianly in tourist areas/cities althoguh some rural areas for when travelling inbetween. We have been given different advice from our travel clinics re. vaccinations needed. Please can anyone advise if we should definitely have: Japanese encephalitis Hep B Rabies Yellow Fever We know we need malaria for Laos and Vietnam areas and already have typhoid, tetanus, hep a, ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,089 times, with 5 replies.

Need help on my Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, Thailand trip in September

Posted by d0rk1e on 11/8/2006 at 08:12

Hello all, After browsing all over the internet for days on infos for this trip, I have to say that this is one of the most extensive site. I need some more input/ideas for my travel plan .. any suggestion will be greatly appricated. I'm planning to backpack alone in September for 4 weeks to Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos and Thailand. Below's my rough rundown: 1st day: Jakarta - KL - Phnom Penh (air asia) 2: Phnom Penh - Siem Riep (morning boat) 3. Siem Riep 4. Siem Riep - Battambang ( ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,115 times, with 5 replies.

London to Hong Kong for GBP 261 return

Posted by somtam2000 on 7/9/2006 at 09:46

The Guardian reports that Oasis Hong Kong Airlines will run four direct flights a week from October 26, rising to a daily service in November. An economy class return ticket including all taxes and fees will start at GBP261, with a similar journey in business class costing from GBP1071. The company is promising passengers the comforts of a full-service airline, including seat-back TV entertainment and seat sizes in line with other carriers. Two free hot meals will be offered during the flights b ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,448 times, with 1 reply.

Bangkok Air "Discovery" Air Passes

Posted by cheapswill on 6/9/2006 at 22:51

Has anyone recently tried one of the Discovery Air Passes from Bangkok Air? I am traveling in October and was considering getting one of these for some short jumps between countries. I was curious to know if anyone has had any problems with these. Did you have to pay alot extra? Did you ever get bumped from a flight or refused a seat? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,256 times, with no replies.

ATM's.....................

Posted by steviej on 5/9/2006 at 07:21

Hi All................ After surfing the proverbial Wed and picking up a few pieces of info, it came to be that carrying a ATM card as your main source of cash could be catastrophic if the card was retained by the ATM. Has anybody been unfortunate enough to suffer from this and if so what happens next? I'm now contemplating opening another bank account just in case!!!! Any thoughts........................... chill steviej ___________________________ Who wants Fat Hair.......... ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,826 times, with 6 replies.

From Bangkok to Brighton by tuk tuk! - check it out!

Posted by somtam2000 on 23/5/2006 at 18:10

We've just added a new story to the site about two young English women who are driving a bright pink tuk tuk from Bangkok to Brighton raising money for mental health care in the UK. They're leaving Bangkok this Sunday so if you're in town, get in touch wioth them to cheer them on -- Travelfish is helping them out with sponsorship but they're also activly looking for further donations -- please give our story a read and donate if it tickles your fancy. You can read the full story here: Call ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,336 times, with 2 replies.

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page