Photo: Street food Phetchaburi Soi 10, Bangkok.

Southeast Asia forum

Air Asia woes

Posted by marianwarren on 1/9/2006 at 16:02

Am trying to book flights with Air Asia. The pages take so long to load that often they time out. Any clues? Is the overseas phone number quoted toll free? All the other pages I bring up are relatively quick to load. A glacier moves faster than the Air Asia site. Other carriers are not flying on the day I wish to travel - maybe this is why the fares are so cheap! Any hints welcome. Regards Marian ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,277 times, with 1 reply.

Cambodia-Laos in 10 days. Possible?

Posted by desertwoman on 25/8/2006 at 02:01

My itinerary would be Bangkok-Phnom Penh ( discovery pass ) Phonm Penh-Siem Reap ( I go to Phnom Penh first since my friend said is a it of a let down after you spend time in Siem Reap and then to Phnom Penh, or does it matter? ) Siem Reap-Luang Prabang ( discovery pass ) Explore Luang Prabang Luang Prabang to Luang Namtha and do bit of trekking there. I was thinking about going to Viang Vieng first before Luang Prabang. But most people said I should skip Viang Vieng. But if I ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 8,058 times, with 8 replies.

Travel warnings for Canadians?

Posted by ke11y on 31/8/2006 at 11:14

My boyfriend and I are planning on travelling around South East Asia (mostly Thailand) for 6 months or so. We're both Canadians. I've been reading on the Canadian Government Voyage website that there are several travel warnings for varoius places. Most stating that Canadians should avoid travelling to certain regions due to terrorist attacks on westerners, bombings, landmines, hijacking, kidnapping, etc. Can anyone there or who has recently been there tell me what it's really like right no ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,369 times, with 6 replies.

Internal Indo-china travel

Posted by Enrico_Gatti on 31/8/2006 at 15:55

Hi, does anybody know the best way to travel around the region, be it via train bus or air and the relative costs for each kind of travel? I'm going to the region for 7 weeks between september and november on a fairly tight budget. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,003 times, with no replies.

Moved: Travelling from Siem Reap to Hanoi -- what are my options

Posted by somtam2000 on 10/7/2006 at 18:01

Hi, I am planning on travelling from Siem Reap (cambodia) to Hanoi (Vietnam). Is there a direct travel way to get to Hanoi? Or do I have to get to Ho Chi Min first? Any references websites to get information on the travel schedules? I have read that most travel leaves from Phonm Penh instead of from Siem Reap. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 32,638 times, with 6 replies.

Cellphone coverage, options, ideas

Posted by itchyfeet on 3/8/2006 at 04:24

Hi, I was hoping to hear some travellers experience bringing/using a cellphone in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, and vietnam. I have an unlocked GSM phone (treo 650) with data capabilities through cingular with international roaming. My questions are: How is the GSM coverage? Do they have data service (gprs) there? Should i use cingulars int. roaming or should i get a local providers sim card? Can i get a prepaid sim card? Also just any ideas, suggestions would be great. Thanks, John ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,280 times, with 7 replies.

Wheeled Backpacks

Posted by marianwarren on 4/8/2006 at 08:12

Hi Can anyone advise on their experience of wheeled backpacks? They sound like a good idea, especially in airports etc. We will be away for approx 10 weeks, don't intend to trek and expect only to use the straps for short distances when terrain is unsuitable for the wheels. I have used standard backpacks before and found it really tough on my back and neck and my kids constantly spat the dummy having to walk anywhere with them on. I am finding it challenging to source objective opinions on th ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,688 times, with 6 replies.

September flights around SE Asia - Thailand, Laos & Cambodia

Posted by sackonmyback on 22/8/2006 at 12:05

Hi y'all. Just a quick flight question for my 4 week trip in Sept. I have been investigating the Bangkok Airways Discovery Airpass and been quoted the standard US$90 for each of the 3 flights we want to do, Chiang Mai - Luang Prabang, Vientiane - Siem Reap and Siem Reap - Bangkok. My travel agent has chucked on an extra US$85ish (NZ $135) for booking fees and fuel charge etc per person. So all up, per person our flights come to about US$370.00 (NZ $575). SO, the question is - shall we ju ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,151 times, with 2 replies.

Contact lenses and backpacking

Posted by amitos on 15/8/2006 at 21:06

Hey. I wear contact lenses that last a month before I need to throw them out yet every night I need to clean them in a solution. I am planning a 2 month backpacking trip in SE Asia and was wonderring if someone with contact lense experience could help me: Another type of contact lenses are ones that you dispose of everyday, therefore no need to carry around a solution that might spill in the backpack and no need to sit and clean them evernight.. especially while tracking. If a contac ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 8,309 times, with 5 replies.

Laos and Cambodia Trip - planning stages - comments appreciated!

Posted by Jacster on 12/8/2006 at 07:56

Hello all I am planning a 3-week trip to Laos and Cambodia in Feb/March next year and would really welcome any suggestions regarding my current travel plans. I'm keen to hear your views on whether this is the best route (bearing in mind I really want to see the highlights of both C and L in only 3 weeks!) and any alternative suggestions you may have... Is there anything you recommend adding to/removing from the plan? I'm particularly interested in any views on Sihanoukville - I love ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,837 times, with 12 replies.

For Exacto

Posted by marianwarren on 5/7/2006 at 17:05

Dear Exacto I have noticed your on-road posts and wonder if possible when you get home would you be able to to share your intinery with us? - I'm mainly interested in the places you visited, whether you felt the time you spent there to be adequate, what places would you have liked to stayed at longer and the places you could have spent less time at. I realise this is all so subjective - and dependent on your lifestyle, work environment and budget but I value the detail in your posts. All ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,407 times, with 7 replies.

My future trip to SE Asia - any replies welcome!

Posted by amitos on 11/8/2006 at 21:46

Hey everyone! I'm a first-year Nursing student, studying and living in Melbourne Australia. 19 years old. Half Australian, half Israeli. Male. (now I know what ur thinking... it sounds like I'm applying for a dating service... but it gives you a general picture of who's writing this) I am planning a trip to SE Asia after my exams which means I'll be hopping on a plane to Bangkok around mid-Nov. I plan on backpacking alone, or at least leaving my house alone, through out Thailand, Laos, ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,196 times, with 2 replies.

Indochina for 6 weeks

Posted by julesie on 28/7/2006 at 21:04

Hello there, I am planning a trip to Cambodja, Laos and Vietnam for 6 weeks. I am starting off in Ho Chi Minh going up to Hanoi in 3 weeks with my boyfriend. Then I will continue alone for the other 3 weeks. How can I best connect Laos and Camobja to this trip? Or is it more advisable to only add one of the two? Which one would you recommend? Thanks for the advice! Julesie ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,210 times, with 2 replies.

Luang Prabang to Chiang Khong

Posted by rockthesuburb on 1/8/2006 at 21:36

Due to a tight itinerary schedule I need to get from Luang Prabang to Chiang Khong in one day. Is it possible to travel from Luang Prabang to Chiang Khong Overland in 1 day - and what are my options? What sort of costs for buses/taxi/boat? What time would i need to depart Luang Prabang? What time would I expect to arrive in Chiang Khong? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,898 times, with 2 replies.

efish not biting

Posted by marianwarren on 30/7/2006 at 13:22

Hi Somtam After months of downloading efish guides with no problems, now when I do so nothing appears on the screen. I haven't changed anything at this end (I think!) Any suggestions? Regards Marian ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,294 times, with 4 replies.

The Mail System

Posted by acoatway on 28/7/2006 at 01:27

Two girl friends and I will be backpacking through IndoChina and Thailand. Since we will be backpacking none of us want to have to carry large amounts of purchases with us. Is there a mail system in place to mail souvenirs back home? Is it safe? Expensive? If there isn't a government mail system is there access to systems like UPS? I know they say they ship around the world. Thank you! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,201 times, with 2 replies.

New Vietnam to sourthern Laos bus

Posted by somtam2000 on 13/7/2006 at 07:57

TTR reports that Vietnam and Laos have opened a bus link between Qui Nhon in Binh Dinh province and Pakse in Champasak, Laos . The route is intended to draw overland tourist across border between Thailand and Vietnam . The new service launched on July 4th takes about 12 hours and costs US$16. The busses currently run four weekly trips on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday. The trip runs through Pleiku and Kontum provinces in Vietnam and Attapeu, Sekong and Champasak in Laos. I'd be very in ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,220 times, with 1 reply.

Cooking classes c

Posted by morganmontana on 9/7/2006 at 23:36

I'm taking a five month trip to SE asia and Food is my focus. I want to spend the majority of my time eating and learing the cuisines of the regions. If anybody knows of any classes I would love the input. If anyone knows of any restaurants that wouldn't mind a culinary grad volunteering and hanging out in the kitchen that would also be awsome ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,895 times, with 5 replies.

Laos, Malaysia or... what to do?

Posted by kittywoo on 12/7/2006 at 12:17

I am pt. in Hanoi and have 25 days on my own before picking up my friend in Bangkok. I was thinking to go to southern Laos (did the tourist trail from Thailand through Houay Xai, Pak Beng, Luang Prabang, Vang Vieng, Vientiane four years ago) - would like to see Wat Phu and Si Phan Don. But what else to do? Is there enough to keep me busy in Southern Laos for a good three weeks - getting a bit off the beaten track could be exciting - and will it be accessible within a reasonably tight budget ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,961 times, with 2 replies.

Air Asia - too good to be true?

Posted by adelene on 13/7/2006 at 19:14

Hi, I have just been looking at options for getting between Thailand and Cambodia, and have seen flights on Air Asia from Bangkok to PP for 700 Thai baht, which I think is around £10. Can this be true? Are they safe? Are there any catches? Thanks, Adelene ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,292 times, with 4 replies.

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page