Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Going alone on a boat down the Mekong for 2/3 days

Posted by yhaklai on 20/12/2009 at 20:22

Hello guys!! Well - my friends bought a boat last year in laos and went down the mekong all the way from the Huai Xai to Pak lai. Me and my friend are now in Huay Xai and we are intersted in doing a little shorter trip - just from Xuay Xai to Luang Prabang. I got all the plans from their adventure. Anybody up for this? Experience in sailing - advantage.. just kidding!! :) my mail is - yhaklai@gmail.com If you're intersted or knows about anybody who is coming to the area and mi ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,245 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 27/12/2009 at 10:04

Avoid Thavisouk Guest House in Luang Prabang

Posted by andreilerawn on 21/12/2009 at 16:05

Warning to Luang Prabang travelers: Never ever try staying in Thavisouk Guesthouse because I lost my camera while in this place. I am sure one of the guesthouse staff had taken my 6,000 baht camera. Unless tourists are well-informed regarding the bad operations of Thavisouk, the stealer from this guesthouse will keep on feasting from the taken things from travelers. So tourists beware of Thavisouk Guesthouse. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,831 times, with no replies.

speedboat from Xieng Kok

Posted by cliffmcc on 19/10/2007 at 08:19

How dangerous are the speedboats, especially along the stretch of the Mekong from Xieng Kok to Huay Xai? Some guidebooks suggest that they are so dangerous that there must be an accident a day. Is this reality and should I avoid this method of travel all together? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,147 times, with 11 replies. Last reply by christay2009 on 20/12/2009 at 17:22

Laos - 3 weeks with Tiger Trails

Posted by derek_j_buchanan on 17/12/2009 at 17:46

We have just returned from a superb 3 week trip fully organized by Tiger Trails. We had 2 separate 4 day treks organised by them in Vien Phouka and Phongsali followed by a drive across the north taking in various towns and sights enroute to The Plain of Jars then Luang Prabang and finally Vientienne. Tiger Trails and our guide "La" were excellent. When we first booked, I like others was slightly hesitant about transferring cash but was able to pay by Mastercard in the end giving me the p ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,038 times, with no replies.

Hire a driver luang prabang to vang vieng

Posted by 21days on 17/12/2009 at 06:07

I have been told by 2 different people that the thing they would change if they went back to laos would be to hire a private car for the drive, luang prabang to vang vieng. So you can stop take pictures etc. There will be 5 of us taking that journey and i was wondering if anyone knew how easy it would beto book a driver and how much it would cost ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,891 times, with no replies.

Laos, Vietnam Cambodia

Posted by Dubraatz on 17/12/2009 at 05:48

Hey all, I am very thankful at how helpful this site has been for me. I am planning a trip to take the slow boat to Luang Prabang and then have a month to travel Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia. Is there enough time to do all of this and if so what are some of the spots I shouldn't miss. Also I would like some insight to where the best place to cross the border is because after all this we will be heading back to Ko Chang in Thailand then a month in the south. Thanks to all in advance for t ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,279 times, with no replies.

Bus from Luang Prabang to Luang Namtha

Posted by JoannaCrawford on 16/12/2009 at 18:06

In January 2010 I'll be travelling to Luang Namtha from Luang Prabang by bus. If I take bus/es from LP in the morning (maybe having to stop at Oudomxay), what time roughly should I expect to arrive in Luang Namtha? Is it easy to get tuk tuks or other transport at the bus station at Luang Namtha, to get to accommodation? Any advice much appreciated. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,010 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somsai on 16/12/2009 at 20:58

Booking flight in LP to go to Hanoi?

Posted by blackpepper14 on 14/12/2009 at 09:44

Hi....was searching through the archives and saw a lot of debate and varying results people had from booking online or in advance for various air routes. Because I'm not going to be in a hurry to go anywhere and may change my mind along the way, I would rather book any flights on the ground when I decide what I want to do. If I am in LP, how easy (how many days in advance do I need)is it to book from an agent or direct from an airline? Time of year will likely play a factor? I will be in tha ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,862 times, with no replies.

passing from north vietnam to laos

Posted by saso on 6/10/2009 at 16:06

Hey, My girlfriend and me are planning a trip to SE Asia and are a bit confused about the Laos part. We will spend some time in North Vietnam and enter Laos through Sop Hun / Tay Trang border crossing. We have a bit more than 2 weeks (15-16 days) to pass Laos and we need to catch a flight then from Udon Thani in Thailand. We have to make aproximate plan where to go and how much time to spend. I guess 2 weeks is not enough and we don't want to pick too many places since we would be rushin ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,143 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by damienm on 13/12/2009 at 23:36

Trip from Luang Prabang to Sapa to Hanoi

Posted by mlr on 13/11/2009 at 18:17

Hi Everyone Im just trying to work out what the best forms of transport for doing this trip are!? The last bit is simple as we will be taking the sleeper train between Lao Cai & Hanoi but its the sections up to there we are trying to work out! One possibility we were looking at was taking the boat from Luang Prabang up the Nam Ou to Nong Khiaw or perhaps even Muang Khoua where we would stop overnight. How long would this boat journey take and would the whole journey be doable in 1 ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 11,659 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by damienm on 13/12/2009 at 22:38

An Essay on Muang Sing

Posted by christay2009 on 12/12/2009 at 21:29

The history of Muang Sing... http://www.mp.haw-hamburg.de/pers/Kaspar-Sickermann/mgsing/emgs.html ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,927 times, with no replies.

Any experience with Villa Saykham in Luang Prabang?

Posted by meloshi on 11/12/2007 at 12:23

I am having trouble finding any information on this particular accommodation in LP. Does anyone have any experience here or any information on this guesthouse? Thank you. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,898 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 12/12/2009 at 15:20

22 Days HCMC to Vientiane

Posted by Nachojon on 9/12/2009 at 06:41

I am planning a 22 day trip in SE Asia. I will be flying into HCMC on Dec. 25th and out of Vientiane, Laos on Jan. 16th. Other than definitely spending the first portion of the trip up to New Years with friends in Vietnam I am pretty open about the rest of the journey which I will be doing solo. I have a rough itinerary, any suggestions/ comments would be much appreciated. Dec. 25 - Jan. 1 Vietnam Jan. 1-2 Bus from HCMC to Phnom Penh -arrange Lao visa -explore PP Jan. 5 Phom Penh to S ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,851 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 10/12/2009 at 11:05

NYE Luang

Posted by zajets on 9/12/2009 at 01:05

Is NYE (dec. 31) celebrated in Luang Prabang in any way, touristy and/or locally? Fireworks maybe? Thank you for any suggestions! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,355 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 10/12/2009 at 10:27

Laos: tips needed (December/09)

Posted by McPint on 9/11/2009 at 20:38

Hello all, I’ll be going to South East Ásia (SEA) for 3 weeks, next (early) December. I’ll arrive and return, by plane, via Bangkok, My main goal is to visit Laos and Angkor Vat (Cambodja). Some questions – any tips will be welcome LAOS NORTH Alternative A From Bangkok take the Express overnight train to Nong Khai (friendship bridge border) continue to Vientiane , head North towards Luang Pradang. Return to Vientiane stopping at Vang Vei OR Alternative B From ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,426 times, with 13 replies. Last reply by Seba on 9/12/2009 at 10:58

help please on Luang Prabang accom

Posted by SEQfunbod on 3/12/2009 at 08:15

Can someone help. I'm going to be in Luang Prabang around 1 jan. But, the date is a bit flexible (ie give or take a few days). I'm reading that its high season. I don't want to book becoz I want to be flexible. but! Should I book, or is it OK to rock up and get an OK room? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,999 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by somsai on 7/12/2009 at 09:47

Does anyone know the correct information for Mixay GH Vientiane?

Posted by suswati37 on 5/12/2009 at 15:02

Hi there, I was wondering if you could help me out as I am trying to book with Mixay GH in Vientiane, but the contact number given on every website seems to be wrong. I dialled +856 212260, and had a very polite man tell me that everyone keeps dialling his number asking for a guesthouse, and that the websites are wrong. Agh. Any idea, as I will travelling VERY soon. Cheers ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,808 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by suswati37 on 6/12/2009 at 15:05

ATV/Jeep Rental Pakse

Posted by bass_ke on 8/11/2009 at 21:25

Hi There guys, Just wondering if any of you have any experience with Quad bike and/or Jeep (little suzuki, Thai Style) rental in Pakse? My wife and I would love to get ourselves around parts of the south but neither of us have ridden on two wheels a lot. I've checked out Jules rental in Vientiane but he doesn't have too much available for the dates we'll be around Cheer's Nate ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,466 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by robmacca on 5/12/2009 at 21:57

Current conditions and tips for the SaPa to Laung Prabang road/river trip

Posted by marcusfrank on 30/11/2009 at 06:11

I am considering going from SaPa to Luang Prabang through Dien Bien/ Muang Khua on late december and then down the river to LP. Can someone help with updated information on the following: 1)Sapa to Dien Bien:heard there is constrcution going on and very bad to go through(early 2009), is the road ok? If not going by bus, what could be a reasonable fare by car/taxi? 2)Dien Bien to Muang Khua: Is the bus leaving daily? 3) Muang Khua to Nong Kiao by river: Is there any regular service or only ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,228 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by saso on 5/12/2009 at 21:39

Laos fun/party/adventure... !

Posted by freebird on 1/12/2009 at 04:41

We are 3 girls in our mid 20's looking for fun destinations in Laos... warmer the better! We will be there in December (last two weeks)... and tips of a place to spend Christmas would be great? We like kiyaking, jumping off waterfalls, motorbiking, exploring, laying in the sun... that kind of thing :-) All advice much appreciated! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,855 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by somsai on 5/12/2009 at 19:41

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page