Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

22 Days HCMC to Vientiane

Posted by Nachojon on 9/12/2009 at 06:41

I am planning a 22 day trip in SE Asia. I will be flying into HCMC on Dec. 25th and out of Vientiane, Laos on Jan. 16th. Other than definitely spending the first portion of the trip up to New Years with friends in Vietnam I am pretty open about the rest of the journey which I will be doing solo. I have a rough itinerary, any suggestions/ comments would be much appreciated. Dec. 25 - Jan. 1 Vietnam Jan. 1-2 Bus from HCMC to Phnom Penh -arrange Lao visa -explore PP Jan. 5 Phom Penh to S ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,827 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 10/12/2009 at 11:05

NYE Luang

Posted by zajets on 9/12/2009 at 01:05

Is NYE (dec. 31) celebrated in Luang Prabang in any way, touristy and/or locally? Fireworks maybe? Thank you for any suggestions! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,331 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 10/12/2009 at 10:27

Laos: tips needed (December/09)

Posted by McPint on 9/11/2009 at 20:38

Hello all, I’ll be going to South East Ásia (SEA) for 3 weeks, next (early) December. I’ll arrive and return, by plane, via Bangkok, My main goal is to visit Laos and Angkor Vat (Cambodja). Some questions – any tips will be welcome LAOS NORTH Alternative A From Bangkok take the Express overnight train to Nong Khai (friendship bridge border) continue to Vientiane , head North towards Luang Pradang. Return to Vientiane stopping at Vang Vei OR Alternative B From ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,400 times, with 13 replies. Last reply by Seba on 9/12/2009 at 10:58

help please on Luang Prabang accom

Posted by SEQfunbod on 3/12/2009 at 08:15

Can someone help. I'm going to be in Luang Prabang around 1 jan. But, the date is a bit flexible (ie give or take a few days). I'm reading that its high season. I don't want to book becoz I want to be flexible. but! Should I book, or is it OK to rock up and get an OK room? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,975 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by somsai on 7/12/2009 at 09:47

Does anyone know the correct information for Mixay GH Vientiane?

Posted by suswati37 on 5/12/2009 at 15:02

Hi there, I was wondering if you could help me out as I am trying to book with Mixay GH in Vientiane, but the contact number given on every website seems to be wrong. I dialled +856 212260, and had a very polite man tell me that everyone keeps dialling his number asking for a guesthouse, and that the websites are wrong. Agh. Any idea, as I will travelling VERY soon. Cheers ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,787 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by suswati37 on 6/12/2009 at 15:05

ATV/Jeep Rental Pakse

Posted by bass_ke on 8/11/2009 at 21:25

Hi There guys, Just wondering if any of you have any experience with Quad bike and/or Jeep (little suzuki, Thai Style) rental in Pakse? My wife and I would love to get ourselves around parts of the south but neither of us have ridden on two wheels a lot. I've checked out Jules rental in Vientiane but he doesn't have too much available for the dates we'll be around Cheer's Nate ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,372 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by robmacca on 5/12/2009 at 21:57

Current conditions and tips for the SaPa to Laung Prabang road/river trip

Posted by marcusfrank on 30/11/2009 at 06:11

I am considering going from SaPa to Luang Prabang through Dien Bien/ Muang Khua on late december and then down the river to LP. Can someone help with updated information on the following: 1)Sapa to Dien Bien:heard there is constrcution going on and very bad to go through(early 2009), is the road ok? If not going by bus, what could be a reasonable fare by car/taxi? 2)Dien Bien to Muang Khua: Is the bus leaving daily? 3) Muang Khua to Nong Kiao by river: Is there any regular service or only ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,202 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by saso on 5/12/2009 at 21:39

Laos fun/party/adventure... !

Posted by freebird on 1/12/2009 at 04:41

We are 3 girls in our mid 20's looking for fun destinations in Laos... warmer the better! We will be there in December (last two weeks)... and tips of a place to spend Christmas would be great? We like kiyaking, jumping off waterfalls, motorbiking, exploring, laying in the sun... that kind of thing :-) All advice much appreciated! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,803 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by somsai on 5/12/2009 at 19:41

Muang Noi - warning

Posted by mkolodziej on 9/7/2007 at 17:40

There are 2 places in Muang Noi where theft occurs frequently. One is banana cafe, another a set of bungalows right next to the stairs that take you up from the river (right side). When I was there, an Israeli couple was robbed as they were sleeping (next to the boarding). They had travel insurance for that, but the cop refused to sign the statement because he is corrupt and likely in cahoots with the thieves. A source I cannot identify told me that the thieves in both cases are the owners. Wha ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 9,532 times, with 33 replies. Last reply by saso on 5/12/2009 at 18:39

Lao Pdr solo tour

Posted by unid on 4/12/2009 at 19:08

Hello, I am planning a cycling trip to Lao PDR leaving late January for 8 weeks. My idea so far is that i will land at Bangkok and take the train to Nong Khai then cycle-tour clockwise around Laos. crossing the border into Cambodia for the obligatory Angkor wat trip, ending with a 4-5 days relaxing on a beach somewhere in Thailand before making my way back to Bangkok. I am estimating that 8 weeks will be enough time to do this. My budget will be £1500 exc flights. I am hoping that is e ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,550 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 5/12/2009 at 12:45

Vientiane to Siem Reap

Posted by rsawyer5 on 15/6/2008 at 17:23

Has anyone recently traveled from Vientiane to Siem Reap over land? I have a limited amount of time which is one of the reasons that I am not flying. That and the less than stellar flight record of Lao airlines. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to make this trip as efficient as possible? Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 31,779 times, with 19 replies. Last reply by cheeco on 4/12/2009 at 20:46

Overland from Luang Prabang to Hanoi

Posted by scottyheather on 13/11/2009 at 15:56

Hi everyone. I've been reading this forum for around a month now and I've got to say a HUGE thanks to everyone for their really invaluable information. However, I'm getting really confused with some information I need. My husband and I travelling from Luang Prabang to Hanoi (via bus - yes I know we are masochists!) and although there's been heaps written (and I know cos my eyes are bleeding from reading it all) about the various routes, my main concern is the times (eg how many buses a day, ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 7,292 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 3/12/2009 at 08:13

Motorcycle rental in Pakse

Posted by scomoore1 on 5/3/2008 at 11:02

I just heard a traveller report that last October, he was unable to rent a motorcycle anywhere in Pakse. I was hoping to do 'the loop' by cycle or scooter from Pakse based on Travelfish and various guidebook reports. Is it true that one can no longer rent cycles? Or was this a temporary condition based on transient security issues? Or something else? Am planning to be there in May. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 15,412 times, with 26 replies. Last reply by bitpiece on 1/12/2009 at 01:30

Overland Viang Veng to Luang Prabang (In comfort)

Posted by jaizan on 16/11/2009 at 06:21

What's my best option for travelling overland from Viang Veng to Luang Prabang, in reasonable comfort? I shall be travelling alone. Is it reasonably easy to book a shared taxi or minibus with other tourists? How long do minibuses take? Travelling on a bus is only acceptable if I am guaranteed to have a proper seat. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,031 times, with 22 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 30/11/2009 at 10:04

Elephants experience in Laos

Posted by gugli on 6/11/2009 at 17:15

Hi, I would like to ask if you have any experience with elephants rides in Laos? I have read a nice article here on Travelfish but this Tiger Trail company is quite expensive...? I am looking of a half to one day experience(and I would prefer to sit right on the elephant rather than on this seat they put on them...) thx ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,726 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by cybervlad on 27/11/2009 at 18:12

Laos Slow Boat on a Sunday?

Posted by LauraCronk on 15/10/2009 at 01:20

Hi. I'm going to Laos from Chiang Mai in Jan 2010 and I have been trying to find out whether the Slow Boat goes on a Sunday or not. We are doing a whistle-stop tour of Asia so time is tight. I've also seen mixed stories as to whether the slow boat to Luang Probang is 3 days or 2 days travelling. Can someone please answer my questions so I can start getting excited about my trip :) ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,327 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by jaizan on 26/11/2009 at 05:24

Laos and Vietnam question....

Posted by blackpepper14 on 24/11/2009 at 17:49

Hi...admittedly lazy, as I could probably find this somewhere, but easy for someone in the know to give a phonetic pronunciation guide for a few cities I have listed? Thanks in advance... Vietnam: Hue Hoi An Lao Cai Halong Bay Laos: Vientiane Vang Vieng Luang Prabang Muang Sing Muang Long Huay Xai Pakse Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,248 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by blackpepper14 on 25/11/2009 at 09:30

Update of info on Pan's Place, Vang Vieng , Laos

Posted by neilenolix on 24/11/2009 at 19:44

Hi travelfish organisers, I am Neil, one of the proprieters at Pans Place. There has been a number of changes here since you posted your information about us so for the sake of accuracy please note: Jeska bar no longer exists and has been replaced by 5 Lao style bamboo chalets with share bathrooms which have proved very popular. We also now have an internet cafe adjoining the guesthouse with discount rates for guests. We no longer rent motorbikes or the jeep as I didn't like having to fix them ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 8,405 times, with no replies.

Phetsokxai in Pakbeng...stop on slow boat to Luang Prabang...

Posted by elizacass on 24/11/2009 at 14:00

I was wondering if anyone has any contact information for Phetsokxai hotel in Pakbeng in Laos...I have heard good things about staying here, and wanted to send an email or call to hold a room before the mad dash from the boat when it stops for the night...Thanks so much! Elizabeth ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,573 times, with no replies.

Muang Long

Posted by christay2009 on 16/10/2009 at 16:57

I went over to Muang Long a week or so ago based on what Somchai had said about it. I cannot reccomend the place enough both as a place for a good wonder by yourself and as a place for a trek. Tui in the tourism office, mentioned on Lao Bumpkin, is a great guide and person. We had some difficulty at first as Tui was in Nam Tha at the boat races and his boss's english was lacking. When Tui returned we signed up for a two day trek; it was slightly cheaper than those from Muang Sing and also le ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,674 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by christay2009 on 24/11/2009 at 00:54

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page