Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Sleeper bus - Vientiane to Pakse

Posted by dclayw on 17/7/2009 at 07:50

Well, I'm just starting to re-plan our trip to Laos this December/January, so expect a few posts from me over the next few weeks. I say re-plan because our month long trip planned for last December/January didn't happen because of the closure of BKK airport early December last year. (This time we are by-passing Thailand altogether) I can't find much info on the sleeper bus Vientiane to Pakse. There appears to be a few companies offering the service. Can anyone provide some info on which com ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 33,116 times, with 29 replies. Last reply by wanderingcat on 8/11/2009 at 15:07

Thailand to Laos border crossing question

Posted by Jynne on 6/11/2009 at 23:02

I will be taking a bus from Chiang Mai to the Laos border (the Chiang Kong/ Huay Xai crossing). If I arrive in Chiang Kong at night, after the border is closed, will there be enough time the next morning for me to cross the border first thing, and still catch a boat to Luang Prabang (one of the two day boats that stop in Pakbeng)? It seems most people cross from Chiang Kong to Huay Xai in the evening and are ready to go on the boat first thing in the morning, but I am afraid I won't get to ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,764 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by Captain_Bob on 7/11/2009 at 03:55

Money in Southern Laos

Posted by christay2009 on 5/11/2009 at 17:20

Does anyone have any information regarding where you can cash travelers cheques, where there is an ATM etc in the main towns in Southern Laos? I could always exchange a good wad of KIP in Vientiane if necessary Thanks again ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,936 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by wanderingcat on 6/11/2009 at 16:33

From Chiang Rai to Luang Prabang in 8 days - What to see?

Posted by Pontare on 30/10/2009 at 20:58

Hi, we're a couple going from Chiang Rai to Luang Prabang . We have 8 days from we arrive in Chiang Rai before the plane leaves from Luang Prabang. Is there any places on the route that are especially nice? We're trying to steer clear of the most tourist adapted places, like Vang Vieng and to a certain degree Luang Prabang seems to be. We would especially like to go trekking for a few days. For what it's worth, I speak basic Thai, so we will hopefully be able to get around without being to ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,306 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by gugli on 5/11/2009 at 23:41

which is the most southern border crossing Laos>Thailand

Posted by christay2009 on 4/11/2009 at 18:38

i've been trying to work this out but i think i'm being thick?! i can't find a decent map either! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,431 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by DLuek on 4/11/2009 at 23:22

Pakse airport??? confused

Posted by cassrose on 4/11/2009 at 07:09

Hey Does anyone know if you are able to fly Luang Prabang - Pakse . Am wanting to in January. Same people are saying it has re opened but on Laos Air it says Pakse is not available. Can anyone please help?? Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,856 times, with no replies.

Live from Luang Prabang - A great guide

Posted by lennybruce on 28/10/2009 at 16:04

Thanks to the advice and help of TA'ers 'dobsonshow' I got in touch with Bouasy ('See' for short) who is a registered guide and driver here in Luang Prabang. I just spent two great days with him seeing the area sights. He is extremely knowledgeable, incredibly hospitable and helpful and speaks excellent English. After he picked me up at the airport he sorted me out with a Lao sim card, drove me around town for a good orientation and then we talked about what we could do for a couple of days of t ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,309 times, with 16 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 3/11/2009 at 01:06

Getting to Tokyo, already checked Kayak

Posted by jclarkson on 30/10/2009 at 10:14

Delta canceled my flight from SGN to Tokyo so I figured I may as well stay in Laos and fly out LP, any advice on any airlines that may not be listed on Kayak.com Also, any advice on the best (cheapest, and if there is a fun one day stop all the better) way to get from Laos or Vietnam to Tokyo? Thanks a bunch, Josh ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,464 times, with no replies.

Pakse Airport

Posted by mkelly139 on 7/10/2009 at 09:53

i have a flight booked/reserved Thurs, 3 Dec from Pakse > Luang Progang. The airport at Pakse is closed for repairs and scheduled to reopen sometime in January, 2010. I have been told that passangers flying out of Pakse will be bussed instead to Savannakhet for their flight to LPQ. However, when checking on the Lao Air web site, I find no flight our of Savannakhet on Thurs, only M, W, F. Does anyone have any relyable information in regard to this situation; or are there other alternative ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,889 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by Dylan on 29/10/2009 at 10:38

2 weeks in Laos... a good itinerary??

Posted by gandhiji on 28/10/2009 at 17:10

Hi all, I don't personally have any experience of Laos, but following research from the Rough Guide and Lonely Planet I have come up with the following itinerary, for end of January time: Day 1: Enter Laos at Houayxai Day 2-3: Slow-boat to Louang Prabang Day 3-5: Louang Prabang, incl. day trips to Wat Chom Phet/Kouang Si Day 6-8: Vang Viang: tubing/caves Day 8-9: Vientianne Night of 9th travel to Paxke via VIP bus) Day 10: Paxke to Champasak by boat along Mekong, and see Wat Phou r ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,591 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 28/10/2009 at 23:39

Salsa in Luang Prabang

Posted by MADMAC on 27/10/2009 at 00:13

I heard that someone has started teaching Salsa in Luang Prabang. Has anyone heard anything else about this? I'd love any details if available. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,948 times, with no replies.

Flights from Luang Prabang to Chiang Mai

Posted by kiwigirl08 on 17/10/2009 at 01:56

I purchased tickets online from Laos airlines & my visa was debited £180 somethig and we never received any confirmation of the flight. I have tried contacting them, but no one spoke much english. Emailing them also failed to get a reply. I am worried that I will lose the money. Has anyone had this happen or heard of the airline being dodgey? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,818 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by Captain_Bob on 25/10/2009 at 23:26

10 days in Laos. Any ideas?

Posted by traveladdix on 24/10/2009 at 17:25

Hi, My friends and I have exactly 10 days in Laos. We are going to fly to Bangkok early Dec and then take the train to the border crossing to go Vientiane . We are thinking Vientiane > VV > LP. Any ideas how long we shud spend there and what we shud do? Or any other places you guys recommend? Any itinerary in Laos (completely different from ours) are welcome. But keep in mind, we must fly via BK. Thanks!! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,496 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 25/10/2009 at 00:43

boats from Champasak to Don Khong?

Posted by Pjotra on 24/10/2009 at 05:29

Does anybody know if the boatconnection between Champasak-or Pakxe and Don Khong still exists, as mentioned in the Travelfish description. And if so, what the departures and price are? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,903 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by Pjotra on 24/10/2009 at 18:23

Ubon to Pakse - what are the options?

Posted by jet_bkk on 24/6/2009 at 11:07

I'm arriving in Ubon at 9am on Saturday and need to get to Pakse. I believe there is a bus at 8:30 and the next is 2pm so I was wondering if there are other ways to do this. Are there other buses, or minibuses going across the boarder and to Pakse? Can I assume it is no problem getting a visa on arrival at the border at well? I've been to Chong Mek before but never crossed. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 8,368 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 24/10/2009 at 00:30

Phou Khao Khouay National Park

Posted by christay2009 on 22/10/2009 at 17:49

i am in Vientiane at the moment because i got my timing wildly wrong so i have 5 nights untill my flight [27th 8am]. I would very much like to go to this national park but i find the directions on TF abit confusing... "By bus to Ban Na, Tiger Lilly Resort, Ban Hatkai, catch the bus to the point on Route 13S on which there are turn-offs to the respective locations" i don't really understand this part i dont know if its just me being dumb though. If anyone has done this recently please let ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,611 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by christay2009 on 23/10/2009 at 10:31

more time in luang prabang or add vientane?

Posted by liustephen on 21/10/2009 at 17:39

hi there, we're headed to laos soon. we've got a few days planned in LP. question: is it worth it to stop over in vientane for a day on the way up (it would add a flight and a day in vientanne), or just take the time in LP? any thoughts? thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,993 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by exacto on 21/10/2009 at 22:11

Rice Planting

Posted by pihapair on 20/10/2009 at 13:56

Hi , My question is,when does rice planting start or in other words when will we see greening up of the countryside? Im gueesing April but not sure. Ta Kev ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,165 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by pihapair on 21/10/2009 at 03:07

Nightlife in Laos

Posted by MADMAC on 16/10/2009 at 18:51

One of the things that prejudiced me against Laos from my first exposure was the lack of nightlife I found in Savanakhet. I'm a night guy - I don't like quiet, sleepy places. Mukdahan is New York city compared to Savankhet. But, as Somsai quite fairly points out, Savanakhet is not all of Laos. So, thinking about it, and just reading some other posts, I decided to ask the question - what cities in Laos, if you are interested in decent nightlife, are the places to be? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,011 times, with 13 replies. Last reply by Lother on 20/10/2009 at 04:27

Lonely Planet's Laos 6th edition reviewed

Posted by somtam2000 on 29/8/2007 at 17:35

The smart cookies over at Lonely Planet were kind enough to send us a complimentary review copy of their new guidebook to Laos, released August 2007. So, if you're planning on going to Laos and are still looking for a guide, you may find our review of interest. Our verdict? It's terrific -- easily the best on the market. You can read the full review of Lonely Planet Laos 6th edition here. If you've an opinion on the latest edition, please feel free to add it in here. Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 8,400 times, with 13 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 18/10/2009 at 01:54

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page