Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Phongsali to China

Posted by changkt on 11/5/2006 at 10:14

Can I enter China from Phongsali? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,532 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by wanderingcat on 27/9/2009 at 20:36

travel Phonsavan to Luang Prabang

Posted by travelfam on 25/9/2009 at 10:51

Hi there We're having a few days in Phonsavan, Plain of Jars, but need to get to LP - we have 2 days 1 night for this - aware no flight option, bus sounds long and tiring (and we get car sick)> Wondering if anyone has advice re hiring a minibus (we are family of 4)? Also any ideas on where to stop overnight? thanks!!! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,458 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by wanderingcat on 26/9/2009 at 06:08

Luang Prabang Lodging

Posted by 44cuse on 18/9/2009 at 13:09

Hi All and thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide. I am travelling to Luang Prabang from Chiang Mai tomorrow and was hoping to get some lodging recommendations. I was a bit surprised by the mid-range pricing but that will not stop me from going. Looking for Air Con room with good proximity to everything. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, 44cuse ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,864 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by robmacca on 25/9/2009 at 07:16

Pakse Airport now due to reopen end of October

Posted by somtam2000 on 21/9/2009 at 16:57

TTRWeekly is reporting that Pakse Airport will be reopening at the end of October. You can read the full story here. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,326 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by wanderingcat on 24/9/2009 at 19:33

Anyone crossed from China into Laos recently?

Posted by christay2009 on 13/9/2009 at 09:10

I am probably going to attempt to cross in Laos at the end of this month from China. I was wondering if anyone had any experience of doing this recently? there is a lonely planet post from 2008 which suggests its as simple as getting an overnight bus from Kunming to Mengla then a direct bus [around 8am] to Luang NamTha... I'm heading to Laos 20 or so days early, i'm moving on from China after one Visa extension. Additionally, i am presuming that you still cannot get a visa on arrival if you f ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,592 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by christay2009 on 24/9/2009 at 16:49

Battlefield Tours in Laos

Posted by MADMAC on 19/9/2009 at 18:48

Does anyone do them? And if so where? In Vietnam I am thinking of doing my own - a terrain walk. I don't want some politicized crap or a show and tell tour. I am interested in the battle tactics used, not the politics. Does anyone know of anyone offering battlefield tours - perhaps led by former combatants? I did a couple in Europe with veterans from WW II (one historian, one Wehrmacht vet and one US Army vet) from a battle and it was outstanding (Ardennes forest on the northern shoulder of the ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,320 times, with no replies.

A month in Laos - stay in the North or head down South?

Posted by christay2009 on 22/6/2009 at 00:21

I should be crossing into Laos at the China/Laos border and was wondering if my time would be better spent concentrating on the North [as i enter the country at a northern crossing] OR try and see some of the north and south? i think there are pros and cons obviously but wondered if anyone would care to throw in their ten pence/cents thanks again Chris ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,987 times, with 33 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 19/9/2009 at 17:19

Chinese New Year 2010, what to expect??

Posted by Architeuthis on 17/9/2009 at 03:49

Hi I´m roughing out my third trip to SE Asia, first time to Laos at the moment. I´m planning to be there during february 2010. I read the Lao people celebrate the Chinese New Year around that time and I´m curious what to expect. Has anyone been to places like Vientiane or LP during that time? Is it a problem in finding accomodation which aren´t overpriced? Thanks in advance... Andreas ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,160 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by Rufus on 17/9/2009 at 07:15

Suggestions for 11 days in Laos

Posted by AyanamiNal on 7/7/2009 at 20:01

Yup, another query from someone looking for itinerary help. I've booked cheap flights from London to KL arriving late on Sat 26th September. My plan was to fly to Chang Mai the next morning (Sun 27th) arriving midday - I then have 11 days to make my way through Northen Thailand/Laos - I need to be in Vientiane by Thurs 8th Oct for my flight back to KL. I leave KL on the 9th back to the UK. I guess I am looking at the standard CM --> Thai Border --> boat to LP --> VV --> V route. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,635 times, with 18 replies. Last reply by wanderingcat on 16/9/2009 at 06:42

Vang vieng. Do I bother?

Posted by kirstenc on 9/9/2009 at 15:22

I'm heading over to Laos in October with my husband and two kids aged 10 & 12. We want to see the scenery around VV But we are appalled by the loutish and offensive durnken behaviour of the backpackers in VV. Can we get away from all that in VV or should we push on to Luang Prabang? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,341 times, with 17 replies. Last reply by daflj on 15/9/2009 at 18:05

Muang Sing

Posted by gracetandil on 31/8/2009 at 20:10

My question is: how long is Muang Sing from the border crossing from Thailand to Laos? Is it an interesting place? What about the markets? Opium market? I can´t get enough information. Thank you all. Love, Graciela. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,144 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by wanderingcat on 15/9/2009 at 09:02

Luang Prabang during New Years

Posted by jsham84 on 14/9/2009 at 23:19

I will be traveling to Luang Prabang during new Years, roughly from Dec. 28 to Jan. 3. Ive been trying to book something online but havent been able to find anything. I know that the slow boat from Thailand gets in around dusk. Will it be possible to find accomodation upon arrival_ ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,737 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by somsai on 15/9/2009 at 08:07

Chiang Rai to Luang Probang and return

Posted by ano_1 on 9/9/2009 at 10:54

We are a family of 5 wanting to travel from either Chaing Rai or Chiang Mai to Luang Probang and back and considering the entire journey by road to maximise our limited time in Laos. Would greatly appreciate any recent/ up to date information or advice in organising this trip. (have gone off the idea of the river due to some of the other posts on travelfish). Ano_=1 Australia ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,744 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 9/9/2009 at 21:32

BUS WARNING SAM NEUA TO UDOM XAI !

Posted by jamesspignesi on 29/1/2009 at 16:24

Be very wary of the small buses that run between these areas or for that matter anywhere in Laos. I am not talking about the mini-vans nor the largeb public buses. These are the mid-sized ones sometimes with a white ,red, or purple top.Make sure you purchase your ticket at a bus station otherwise they stop in the middle of nowhere and demand more. My trip should not have been more than 25,000 kip i had to pay 110,000.I witnessed the driver and his little witch also demand more money from the lao ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,470 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by bjpfoto on 6/9/2009 at 20:14

Lao Airlines flight promotion

Posted by somtam2000 on 3/9/2009 at 15:16

Seems Lao Airlines have a webmaster again and the website has been updated/fixed up ... a bit. Interestingly there is a section on the front page detailing some promotional fares for travel up to 28 October 2009. Sample includes (all fares USD, exclude taxes etc): Chiang Mai - Luang Prabang: $100 Luang Prabang - Hanoi: $105 Vientiane - Hanoi: $110 Udon Thani - Luang Prabang: $79 Bangkok - Savannakhet: $95 Luang Prbaang - Siem Reap: $158 There are more fares listed on the Lao Airlin ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,562 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by chrispyrolls on 4/9/2009 at 03:29

US bombing missiong over Laos

Posted by somtam2000 on 26/8/2009 at 19:31

If you've got Google Earth installed on your machine, you may be interested to have a look at the following add-on that marks over the map of Laos, every single US sortie that was flown. The results are simply breathtaking. I've attached a screenshot of it below, red circles are 500lb bombs, purple are 750lb (B52 strikes), other colours are other miscellaneous "General Purpose" munitions. There's all sorts of info about it here: http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&N ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,325 times, with 43 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 1/9/2009 at 17:20

air travel - cheaper to book when I'm there?

Posted by Intrepid82 on 27/7/2009 at 09:12

Is it cheaper to purchase domestic/international flights once you are in the country of origin?? IE if I want to fly from Siem Reap to Vientiane or from Vientiane to Phonsavan should I wait until I am in Cambodia/Laos to book? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,210 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 29/8/2009 at 07:39

Travelling the Nam Ou - Lonely Planet is again wrong!

Posted by brucemoon on 27/4/2009 at 17:00

The boat journey along the Nam Ou is memorable and enjoyable. Lonely Planet describes the journey in glowing terms. Wrong again, Mr LP!! We began at Luang Prabang, in the 3rd week of April, travelling the river over 2 days to Muang Khua . The dry season had ended, and with the occasional afternoon storms the section we traversed was navigable. We'd heard from a French lady that 3 weeks prior she was a passenger, and they had to get into the river and push the boat through some sec ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 11,709 times, with 18 replies. Last reply by SBE on 27/8/2009 at 18:36

Tubing in VangViang

Posted by anandgrafiti on 27/7/2009 at 19:50

Hi All, I know tubing involves booze and long hours of exposed sun. But one basic doubt i have is that how safe is it otherwise? Do you need to be a good swimmer(is swimming a must skill to do it?) to do tubing? Is the waters safe? Anand ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,545 times, with 16 replies. Last reply by SteinOfOrange on 27/8/2009 at 13:37

Up Nam Ou River from LP

Posted by realalaskan on 12/11/2007 at 08:10

Flew into Luang Prabang from Chiang Mai last year. Didn't get to spend enough time. Going back in January. Looking for information on traveling upstream from LP to Hat Sa on the Nam Ou River. Road connection to Phongsali and back to LP. Have any of you done this loop? I understand it takes about a week. Feedback? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,856 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by deuxbecs on 27/8/2009 at 00:58

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page