Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Can you get Chinese Tourist Visas in Laos?

Posted by spakky on 8/10/2009 at 23:18

hello, Having heard it's not possible to get a Chinese tourist visa in Hanoi (only Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam), I wondered if it's possible to get one over the border in Laos instead. Has anyone any experience of this they can share? thanks loads. x ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,002 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by spakky on 11/10/2009 at 17:10

Internet Cafes in Savannakhet Laos

Posted by kmeksavanh on 24/9/2009 at 08:32

Hi, I'll be going to Laos early next year and I was wondering if there are any Internet Cafes in Savannakhet, Laos at all or one near it at least or is it best to bring my laptop? Thanks. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,618 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by Saphir on 10/10/2009 at 14:05

Koun Savan GH Luang Prabang

Posted by Pjotra on 10/10/2009 at 04:01

Does anybody has an experience with this GH-price (janauari-HS), clean,quiet, how to book etc.? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,707 times, with no replies.

Typhoon Ketsana

Posted by robmacca on 9/10/2009 at 06:01

I'll be travelling to Southern Laos at the beginning of November and was wondering how badly the area has been hit by Typhoon Ketsana. Plan to visit Bolaven Plateau, 4000 Islands, Champasak. Is anyone currently there or is familiar with current conditions? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,380 times, with no replies.

gibbon experience- pay in advance?

Posted by Seba on 7/10/2009 at 00:03

Hey, I made a reservation for the gibbon experience starting on the 27th of October, but now they're asking me to already pay via paypal. Since I've never read about this and on the other hand have read tons of threads mentioning it's paying cash on arrival, I'm wondering... ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,151 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by 21days on 8/10/2009 at 04:14

help please!! visa's and travel!

Posted by wordy on 6/10/2009 at 05:05

right got some very helpful advice on here before so please help again!! ok, i'm flying into vientiane and want to travel down the mekong, see a lot of places, do the tubing etc, and then cross over into cambodia. Here are my questions which i think i have the answers too but i need to confirm - how do i go about obtaining a visa for Laos? can i get 1 at the airport in vientiane?? which seems to be my only answer as we dont have an embassy for Laos in the UK. Secondly as a visa lasts for ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,435 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by Rufus on 7/10/2009 at 13:14

Weather in Luan Prabang

Posted by asabaum on 5/10/2009 at 04:23

Looking to be in Luan Prabang on October 11, how will be the weather and how has the rains affected the area? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,734 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by LoganT on 5/10/2009 at 10:44

Motorcycling the Bolaven Plateau in August...Am I Crazy???

Posted by googdot on 31/7/2009 at 18:00

I am seriously considering motorcycling the Bolaven Plateau area in late August this year for around 1-2 weeks. I plan to start in Pakse, and do the loop around including Tad Lo, Salavan, Sekong, Attepeu, Paksong. Maybe head over to Champasak and even Don Dhet/Khon as well. I have some experience riding as I currently use a 125cc scooter on a daily basis, but the weather at that time makes me think that the trip might turn into a complete mud bath. Am I crazy to even consider this trip ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,620 times, with 31 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 3/10/2009 at 12:09

anybody in luang prabang right now?

Posted by buecax on 2/10/2009 at 13:00

is anybody from the forum in luang prabang right now? i´ll be here probably till oct 6th or 7th. i´m 40 (but look and fell younger *g*), german and travelling on my own. so maybe we could meet up for a drink or even hook up for a tour, if we got the same interests. they are offering 3day/2night tours to the plain of jars with stops at mountain villages, caves and waterfalls on the way. $100 if there´s 4 people, $150 if there are only 2 - and unaffordable if i´m on my own ;-) accomodation ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,197 times, with no replies.

2 and a half months! where to go?!

Posted by wordy on 1/10/2009 at 23:31

ok, i've managed to wrangle myself 2 to two and a half months off work. Where to go.... right, i've been to phuket, so i dont wanna go back there, and i travelled vietnam a couple of years ago. This is my idea, Fly to Laos, travel down laos and do the tubing etc, into cambodia, and then fly to singapore and onto kuala lumpur for a few days. I fancy going to koh samui for the new year and xmas for the full moon party, then flying onto bangkok for a few days before flying home. Thinking of going m ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,499 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by DLuek on 2/10/2009 at 06:31

Typhoon Ketsana in Laos from CARE

Posted by somsai on 2/10/2009 at 04:07

Cut and pasted in entirety sorry no link restricted web site, sounds like mostly Sekong river, Sekong province and Attapue. CARE responds to devastating Typhoon Ketsana in Vietnam, Laos and the Philippines Melbourne 30.09.09 CARE emergency teams in Vietnam and Laos are responding in the wake of Typhoon Ketsana, the worst typhoon the region has seen in decades. CARE’s emergency response continues in the Philippines, helping some of the nearly two million people affected by floodi ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,930 times, with no replies.

Laos in October

Posted by kirstenc on 30/9/2009 at 04:31

Hi, We are traveling through Laos in October and have heard it can be quite wet at this time of year. We are starting in Vientiane, taking a bus to vang vieng & then on to Lang Prabang and maybe some treking. Will the roads be passable or should we change our itinerary & investigate the possibilities of boat travel? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,030 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by kirstenc on 2/10/2009 at 03:43

Hanoi to Laos

Posted by chubos on 30/9/2009 at 18:21

I want to take a bus from Hanoi to Laos. I'm ok with the time and the bumpy ride etc. Can anyone please suggest me a reliable travel agency in Hanoi where I can get my bus tickets and how much it cost? cheers ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,736 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 1/10/2009 at 09:02

airports near vang vieng?

Posted by jasonkim8486 on 27/9/2009 at 06:13

are there any airports near vang vieng? planning on flying there from southern thailand...what would be the best way to get there? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 12,034 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by idreamofdurian on 30/9/2009 at 16:47

Phongsali to China

Posted by changkt on 11/5/2006 at 10:14

Can I enter China from Phongsali? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,598 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by wanderingcat on 27/9/2009 at 20:36

travel Phonsavan to Luang Prabang

Posted by travelfam on 25/9/2009 at 10:51

Hi there We're having a few days in Phonsavan, Plain of Jars, but need to get to LP - we have 2 days 1 night for this - aware no flight option, bus sounds long and tiring (and we get car sick)> Wondering if anyone has advice re hiring a minibus (we are family of 4)? Also any ideas on where to stop overnight? thanks!!! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,498 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by wanderingcat on 26/9/2009 at 06:08

Luang Prabang Lodging

Posted by 44cuse on 18/9/2009 at 13:09

Hi All and thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide. I am travelling to Luang Prabang from Chiang Mai tomorrow and was hoping to get some lodging recommendations. I was a bit surprised by the mid-range pricing but that will not stop me from going. Looking for Air Con room with good proximity to everything. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, 44cuse ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,894 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by robmacca on 25/9/2009 at 07:16

Pakse Airport now due to reopen end of October

Posted by somtam2000 on 21/9/2009 at 16:57

TTRWeekly is reporting that Pakse Airport will be reopening at the end of October. You can read the full story here. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,372 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by wanderingcat on 24/9/2009 at 19:33

Anyone crossed from China into Laos recently?

Posted by christay2009 on 13/9/2009 at 09:10

I am probably going to attempt to cross in Laos at the end of this month from China. I was wondering if anyone had any experience of doing this recently? there is a lonely planet post from 2008 which suggests its as simple as getting an overnight bus from Kunming to Mengla then a direct bus [around 8am] to Luang NamTha... I'm heading to Laos 20 or so days early, i'm moving on from China after one Visa extension. Additionally, i am presuming that you still cannot get a visa on arrival if you f ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,633 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by christay2009 on 24/9/2009 at 16:49

Battlefield Tours in Laos

Posted by MADMAC on 19/9/2009 at 18:48

Does anyone do them? And if so where? In Vietnam I am thinking of doing my own - a terrain walk. I don't want some politicized crap or a show and tell tour. I am interested in the battle tactics used, not the politics. Does anyone know of anyone offering battlefield tours - perhaps led by former combatants? I did a couple in Europe with veterans from WW II (one historian, one Wehrmacht vet and one US Army vet) from a battle and it was outstanding (Ardennes forest on the northern shoulder of the ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,364 times, with no replies.

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page