Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

book in advance for christmas

Posted by pia2am on 11/8/2009 at 01:18

Hi I Me and my family will be in Laos over christmas and new year. I understand it´s the high season and wondered if you need to prebook accomodation in Vientiane (christmas), Vang Vieng (between christmas and new year)? We will book in Luang Prabang (new year). Pia ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,901 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by seagypsy on 12/8/2009 at 09:38

Nam Phao/Cau Treo VS Dansavanh/Lao Bao

Posted by soQQuadro on 4/8/2009 at 06:50

Ciao everyone, I'm planning my big SE Asia trip and wondering at this tricky point.Initially I wanted to cross from Laos into Vietnam through the Nam Phao/ Cau Treo, as I'll be staying only in northern Laos, but I'v read that is not the best crossing I revisited my plan and now I'm going all the way to Savvannakhet only to do the other border crossing. Is it sane/wise? which one is relatively easyer and quicker??? I appreciate your saying as I have kinda limited time in each country so ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,676 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 11/8/2009 at 06:04

Happy Birthday Travelfish

Posted by BruceMoon on 12/7/2009 at 14:24

Travelfish is today 5 years great! Happy Birthday Travelfish May many more birthdays come. The site deserves the best. Cheers ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,159 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by sacott on 10/8/2009 at 09:16

Bus journey duration

Posted by Missis on 6/8/2009 at 20:40

Hello. Could anyone guide me on how long it takes to travel from Siem Reap and Phnom Penh to Bangkok by road? I am thinking of the bus mainly. Thanks. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,742 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by Missis on 7/8/2009 at 01:45

Champasak to Don Dhet by Boat

Posted by angfonz on 4/8/2009 at 16:34

Has anyone done this trip? We will be spending quite a bit of time on the bus between Vang Vieng and Pakse, and would like to make this leg via boat. Green Discovery Laos quoted me $190 dollars for a 12 person boat, but we don't need anything nearly that size (traveling with 2-3 people). They said the journey takes 5-6 hours, which is fine, but we don't want to pay nearly that much. If I just show up at the Champasak peir and organize one myself will I be riding on some semi floati ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,261 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by Tilapia on 4/8/2009 at 21:50

Phonsavan, Muang Kham and Muang Sui updated

Posted by somtam2000 on 18/7/2009 at 08:58

Have just finished adding updated coverage for Phonsavan and Muang Kham along with new coverage for Muang Sui -- all in Xieng Khuang province in northern Laos. So if you're headed in that direction you may want to give it a read. More to come! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,714 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 4/8/2009 at 13:24

€uros in Laos?

Posted by Pjotra on 17/7/2009 at 20:12

Does anyone know if €uros are an accepted currency in Laos? (given the low US¤ rate) ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,097 times, with 14 replies. Last reply by pabloeskimo on 4/8/2009 at 03:18

Independent travel or organised tours

Posted by Intrepid82 on 27/7/2009 at 06:47

I am planning my first trip to SE Asia at the end of the year...planning on seeing Cambodia and Laos. I can take up to three weeks. After spending what seems like an eternity finding an organised tour that went to all the places I want to see, I am very frustrated to find that the tour will not be going ahead due to a lack of numbers. My dilemma now is do I just go off on my own, and maybe take a couple of short tours in places such as Angkor Wat & Luang Prabang, or should I compromise and ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,542 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by xontros on 4/8/2009 at 00:18

Revised Itinerary...

Posted by yozza2009 on 25/7/2009 at 01:34

21 day itinerary, remaining pretty vague due to transport times whilst in Laos and taking in each location rather than flying through. Current plan... Days 1&2 - Vientiane Day 3 - Vang Vieng Days 4,5,6, (maybe 7)- Luang Prabang Days 7, 8- Nong Khiaw Day 9- udomxai/na maw Days 10 - 13 Luang Nam Tha Days 13, 14 - Muang Sing / Muang Long From here i'm lost as which to travel without retracing a number of my steps. I would consider the speedboat ride from xieng kok to huay xai before ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,017 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 27/7/2009 at 08:27

Snakes? Leaches? Dinosaurs?

Posted by angfonz on 13/7/2009 at 18:33

Probably a horribly ignorant question, but can I expect to find any of the above in the various bodies of water that I will be in and around? We will be traveling from Luang Prabang all the way down to Don Dhet. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,839 times, with 31 replies. Last reply by laos_info on 26/7/2009 at 11:10

Vang Vieng to Luang Prabang - Minivan Hire

Posted by dclayw on 23/7/2009 at 08:51

Anyone know the current rate for hiring a minivan from VV to LP. I've read one recent story of 900,000 kip and that was for 11 people. I think that sounds quite reasonable, would you agree? I asuume the rate is always for the van, not per person, so the cost will be the same for 1 person or for 11 people? Does the hire rate go up much during peak season Dec-Jan? Is it possible to hire a taxi in VV for the trip to LP, there will be 4 of us. What would the cost be? And it appears the trip f ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 7,599 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by dclayw on 24/7/2009 at 16:34

New beginning itinerary

Posted by Nywoman on 17/7/2009 at 00:08

October 12 BKK – Vientiane Oct 13 Vientiane Oct 14 leave for Luang Namtha 14.30 Oct 15 Luang Namtha Oct 16 Luang Namtha Oct 17 Luang Namtha Oct 18 Luang Namtha Oct 19 fly to Vientiane Oct 20 Vientiane to Van Vieng Oct 21 Van Vieng Oct 22 Bus to Luang Prabang Oct 23-27 Luang Prabang Fly back to Bangkok Now I am stuck. If I want to do Plain of Jars I will have almost no time I Luang Prabang. My thoughts are to skip Plain of Jars and work my way up to Luang Prabang by bus. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,242 times, with 16 replies. Last reply by Nywoman on 23/7/2009 at 19:50

Tiger Trails

Posted by Intrepid82 on 23/7/2009 at 09:33

I am considering booking a tour with Tiger Trails but am overwhelmed with the multitude of options! If anyone has used Tiger Tours in the past I would really appreciate any feedback on your experience. Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,120 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by Intrepid82 on 23/7/2009 at 09:46

Laos - some observations from 3 weeks there

Posted by Karimster on 9/7/2009 at 15:12

Hello, following on from my popular post on Vietnam - I've decided to do something similar for Laos, although 9 months on... 1) Use Travelfish! Coverage of Laos in the guidebooks was pretty shabby and out of date. I found most of my places to stay through Travelfish, and I was v happy with ALL of them. 2) Even with Travelfish and the Guidebooks it can still be quite tricky to work out how to get around. I went to Kong Lo Caves, which took around 2 full days from Don Khong - and a lot ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,508 times, with 26 replies. Last reply by nevermore93 on 21/7/2009 at 08:12

More Laos updates

Posted by somtam2000 on 20/7/2009 at 10:15

More of our northern Laos coverage has just been updated included coverage for the following towns: Huay Xai Phongsali Hat Sa Muang Khua and Boun Neua (new section, albeit very short!). Also have new maps for most of these places -- should be online next week. More to come including (finally) a comprehensive Pakbeng update. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,620 times, with no replies.

Upcoming Travel

Posted by nevermore93 on 20/7/2009 at 07:38

I'm preparing an open ended trip to SE Asia with Laos being the main focus on my travels. I'm no stranger to getting around in other countries and pretty good at making friends and connections. I'm planning to fly into Bangkok and then make my way to Vientiane. From there, I'll try to hit the ground running as I always do. Not recommended, but it's just a personal preference. Some of my best trips started in the middle of nowhere and ended up someplace really cool. But I digress. My question ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,780 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by BruceMoon on 20/7/2009 at 08:47

Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang

Posted by Nokka on 19/7/2009 at 16:03

I’ve got stuck and keep changing my mind, so thought I would ask you guys. My wife & I are travelling from Northern Thailand to Northern Laos later this year. We have a total of 18 nights from arriving on the night train in Chiang Mai from Bangkok to flying out of Vientiane to Saigon. When planning this part of our trip the first thing we put on our scheduler was the trip down the Mekong to Luang Prabang. We had watched on TV a British travel journo do the trip from Houei Xai on a bo ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,797 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 20/7/2009 at 05:15

Airfare from Houayxay to Luang Prabang

Posted by anandgrafiti on 18/7/2009 at 15:39

Anybody know the domestic airfare for this route on Lao Airlines? We are thinking of a way to skip the 2 day boat trip to Luang Prabang as it is eating into our itinerary and not particularly keen on a boat trip for 2 days. Are there other modes of travel which may cut short the travelling time? ie By road, or a combination of river and road? Thank you. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,170 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 19/7/2009 at 15:04

Na Hin to Tham Kam Lo

Posted by nathandjen on 17/7/2009 at 19:53

Hi All, Have read all I can on this subject and varying reports are everywhere. Has anyone done this very recently? If so is the road open all the way to Ban Phou Ngeng or even Ban Konglor? Or is a long and expensive river boat from Ban Na Phua the only option? Does anyone have any recommendations for places to stay in Na Hin or how to easy it is to get the bus to from Vientiane? We were thinking route 13 from the capital, getting off at Vieng Kham / Thang Beng and then on fr ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,452 times, with no replies.

North or South?

Posted by jyates on 15/7/2009 at 17:45

Myself and a few friends are going to have a short holiday (2.5 weeks) in Thailand and Laos. We're going to fly into Bangkok and explore there a little, then go to Laos for about 10-12 days. I've travelled in Thailand and Laos before but noone else in the group has been to a developing country so I don't want to give them too much of a culture shock. As we don't have too much time in Laos, I'm trying to work out whether we should go to Vientiane, Vang Vieng, Luang Prabang, or go down south for ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,792 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 16/7/2009 at 22:39

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page