Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Phou Khao Khouay - Worth visiting?

Posted by tujungadj on 7/7/2009 at 02:28

Hello. Looking at either a day trip or an overnight to Phou Khao Khouay National Park while in the Vientiane area in early January. We're interested in the scenic sights (waterfalls, etc.) and wildlife. Is this worth doing? Can the sights be seen on one's own? If overnighting, is home-stay the best option? All info welcome. Thank you! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,860 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by BruceMoon on 7/7/2009 at 07:08

Travelling Sth Laos July

Posted by limeandsoda on 5/7/2009 at 20:08

Hi everyone! I'm looking at going back to Laos in the next few weeks because i loved it so much last time i was there. I want to go to the south (having done LP, VV and Vientiane in the previous trip) However, i only have 2 weeks all up and would like to go to Siem reap to see Angkor too - this makes me think i may only have 7-8 days in Southern Laos - it this worthwhile? or too short? I am thinking Day 1 - Arrive Vientiene in morning, leave for Pakse that night Days 2-4 i ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,277 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by limeandsoda on 6/7/2009 at 15:51

Possible Laos North to South itinarary

Posted by amarradia on 1/7/2009 at 22:32

Hi there, I wanted to get some feedback on this possible itinerary for Laos North to South. Time is looking quite tight so if you could comment then that would be great. Day 1: fly into Chiang Mai from KL and spend 2 nights there Day 3: Cross into Laos Days 4-5: Do the Gibbons experience in Huai Xai Days 6-7: Take the slowboat or bus to Luang Prabang Days 8-10: 3 nights in Luang Prabang Days 11-12: Vang Vieng Day 13: leave Vang Vieng From there we want to go to South ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,150 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 5/7/2009 at 05:39

Luang Prabang Weather in August

Posted by kgordon on 3/7/2009 at 11:23

Hey guys, I'm planning a SE Asia trip and am looking to be in LP the first two weeks of August. I have read the weather section and am prepared to deal with a few hours of rain in the afternoon and limited road travel, but I also know that August is the worst month so I wanted to get some first hand accounts of what to expect and to figure out if I'm better off not going. Ideally I'd like to take in the city, hit the nearby waterfalls and caves, do some rock climbing, and maybe do a night or ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,872 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by BruceMoon on 3/7/2009 at 13:50

Long Tieng

Posted by MADMAC on 3/7/2009 at 03:03

Has anyone here been out there to see the old base which was a primary site from which the Ravens operated during the secret war? I might try and go there is there's anything left to see. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,453 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by wanderingcat on 3/7/2009 at 09:10

Luang Prabang to Chiang Rai with Nagi of Mekong

Posted by ich40 on 29/10/2007 at 19:32

Hi, has somebody done this trip? Do you know how reliable they are when it comes to timing? I want to leave Luang Prabang on a monday, arriving the day after in Houeisay. I was told they arrive their at 5pm. I have to go to Chiang Rai than because my flight will be same day at 9:30pm. Im a bit nervous about that.. What do you think? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 15,565 times, with 15 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 2/7/2009 at 19:04

Laos Itinerary

Posted by yozza2009 on 30/6/2009 at 22:09

Hello all. I shall be spending 21 days in Laos from the final week of August. My itinerary is pretty vague at present. I would like to visit the Plain of Jars, perhaps cross the border into China for a few days. Two of my friends travelled around the country last year, one recommends spending most of my time in the South, one recommends the North. Therefore despite browsing the LP guide, i'm torn. I'm considering hiring a bike as to avoid public transport, is this a wise move? I'm sorry fo ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,620 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 2/7/2009 at 10:06

travel from north Laos to the southern Border

Posted by lozza1978 on 27/6/2009 at 02:27

Hello Thank you for stopping by. I would like some advice and a little guidance on my travel plan :-) for those of you who are willing to help me thanks in advance. Ill be arriving in Bangkok and working by way north to Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Chiang Kong, crossing the border to Huray Xai and then taking the slow boat to Luang Prabang(I have this route sorted thanks to this site(Many Thanks)) ill be heading north again to Vang Vieng for some tubing and chill out time. from Va ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,532 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by mikethediver on 28/6/2009 at 10:33

Laos in Nov-Dec tentative schedule

Posted by pamjane on 23/6/2009 at 12:59

My girlfriend and I will be traveling from Thailand>Laos>Cambodia for a couple of months at the end of the year. I've figured out the first part of the "maybe" course to take, but I'd love input from people who know Laos. Also, I get quite confused when I get to the south, because I'm running out of days... so that's where my plan is halted at the moment. This is my first time in SE Asia, and my first time planning independent travel, so any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,721 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by BruceMoon on 26/6/2009 at 18:47

itinerary - please help

Posted by smash on 21/6/2009 at 11:49

Hi all I'm getting more and more confused with my planned itinerary for Laos. i think something has to give somewhere and I'm not sure what... don't mind taking some flights here and there to speed things up a tad. Day 1 - get from Siem Reap to Don Det Day 2 - Don Det Day 3 - Don Det Day 4 - get from Don Det to Vientiane Day 5 - Vientiane Day 6 - Vang Vieng Day 7 - Vang Vieng Day 8 - Luang Prabang Day 9 - Luang Prabang Day 10 - Luang Prabang Day 11 - overnight boat to Huay Xai ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,317 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by smash on 22/6/2009 at 12:32

Inoculations?

Posted by paulchangman on 19/6/2009 at 13:53

Hi, What inoculations should I be getting before I go to Laos? Are anti Malarial drugs necessary? Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,584 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by Rufus on 21/6/2009 at 15:57

Footwear for hiking in Northern Laos in wet season

Posted by saxomophone on 20/6/2009 at 18:11

I've looked around on the site and ethe recommendation that sandals are sufficient for hiking in northern Thailan/Laos etc but that was in relation to wet season. I'm wondering whether to purchase either some proper hiking boots or a pair of those quasi hiking boot cross trainers I've seen around. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,302 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by BruceMoon on 21/6/2009 at 10:07

Trekking around Pakse,Don Khong,Don Deth

Posted by Cian on 17/6/2009 at 09:28

Hi all, Was hoping to get recommendations of a trek to get in when I get to Southern Laos.I will be getting a bus into Pakse and making my way to Don Deth through to Cambodia. Can anyone recommend where the best place might be to get in a days hike with a guide in between here?In terms of beauty and company to book with, and price. Is it a case I could book through a guest house? Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,660 times, with 13 replies. Last reply by MADMAC on 20/6/2009 at 17:32

Guesthouse for family of 4

Posted by pia2am on 8/6/2009 at 19:43

Hi all We are a family of 4, kids aged 5 and 8, travelling to Laos. Spending time in Vientiane, Vang Vieng and Luang Prabang around christmas and new year 2009. Can anyone recommend some nice, family- and budget friendly guesthouses? Around $25 I have read many of the rewievs here on travelfish, but most places only have double rooms. Thanks in advance. Pia ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,747 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by smartlyndy on 19/6/2009 at 14:34

Laos nightlife and Laos women

Posted by jmdma808 on 16/6/2009 at 12:54

Hello everybody! im new to this forum and website and decided to sign up because i will be spending three weeks in thailand, laos, cambodia and kuala lumpur this august. I'm a caucasion from America and right now i live in taiwan and im teaching english. I love living here because it is so close and cheap to get to the rest of asia. Anyway, im a decent looking 27 year old and of course i still like to have my fun with the ladies. im not going to laos for the ladies, i have lots of activities ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 55,296 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 18/6/2009 at 17:07

New backpackers, 2 week intinerary

Posted by paulchangman on 17/6/2009 at 14:43

Hi there, This is just my third post, but forum is incredible! So much great info on here! Anyway, my girlfriend and I have two weeks to spend and I just drew up a rough itinerary using information from various posts on Travelfish and the Laos section of the site (as well as Lonely Planet). The places of most interest look like Vientiane, Luang Prabang and Plain of Jars. We are also interested in doing some trekking, perhaps for 2 days or so. Where would be a good place to fit it i ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,670 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by paulchangman on 18/6/2009 at 14:17

somtam2000 my posts say im in Vietnam

Posted by jmdma808 on 18/6/2009 at 07:42

Sorry to bother the moderator but when i make a post it says im in Vietnam... I live in Taiwan so i dont know why that is happening. I just dont want to be treated or ignored because people on the forum think im a vietnamese travel agent.... ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,391 times, with no replies.

First timer, advice much appreciated!

Posted by paulchangman on 17/6/2009 at 10:42

Hi everyone, I just posted this on the Vietnam board too, so you might want to post there to make things a little neater (http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/vietnam/6543_). My girlfriend and I have about 2 weeks to travel, and would like to see Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia. I know there's not enough time to see all 3 places and we want to make the best use of our time. Due to time constraints, we have to arrive on July 12th and leave on the 25th. Here are a few questions we have: 1 ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,993 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by paulchangman on 17/6/2009 at 15:06

Laos - couple of queries

Posted by CJHorn85 on 11/5/2009 at 16:42

Hey all, Firstly, I have been to Laos before during a 3 month tour of SEA. So I am aware of places, and time it takes to travel etc etc. This year I am going on holiday with my girlfriend to show her what she missed when I went away. I have a couple of questions regarding travel. We are going to be there for about 2 full weeks We fly in and out of Bangkok. The plan is to either just do North Laos, or spend a couple of days in the south just to scoot about the Bolaven Plateau on bikes, a ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,951 times, with 27 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 17/6/2009 at 08:05

Laos in October

Posted by christay2009 on 15/6/2009 at 22:01

Hey I was wondering if the weather in Laos in okay for travelling in october? i think i read in Lonely Planet that November would be a better time to go and that Cambodia would be okay in October, however, i looks like i'm coming from China so would be cheaper to cross by land in Laos then into Cambodia! Thanks again Chris p.s i cant wait untill i've actually been so i can try give advice rather than just taking it! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,831 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by christay2009 on 16/6/2009 at 01:16

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page