Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Northern Laos in 3-4 weeks - is this itinerary doable?

Posted by saxomophone on 11/5/2009 at 18:29

How does this sound? Vientiane 14-16 July Vang Vieng 16-17 July Luang Prabang 17-21 July (+ a 1-2 day hike in the surrounding area. Phonosavan 21-22 July (fly from LP, visit Plain of Jars) 22-25 Sam Neua (It looks as though there is a road that heads due north off route 7 heading east from Phonosavan which heads up to route 6 to Sam Neua - do any buses ply this route?) 25-27 (Not sure here - I'm interested in getting even more remote. Has anyone been further east or north o ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,986 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by brucemoon on 11/5/2009 at 19:23

Luang Prabang to Vieng Xai?

Posted by joe000 on 9/5/2009 at 05:42

I am hoping someone may be able to help me with advice re: time to allow and ways to get to Vieng Xai from Luang Prabang. Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,894 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by brucemoon on 11/5/2009 at 17:42

Louang Prabang to Phonsavan or Vang Vieng?

Posted by ChrisM48 on 2/1/2009 at 09:09

Would appreciate some advice. Am considering flying to Phonasavan (want to see Plain of Jars) from L/Prabang and then bussing over a few days down to Vientiane via Vang Vieng. Alternately, may fly from Phonsavan direct to Vientiane. Only have 5/6 days on this part of trip. Any suggestions? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 8,618 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by PeterM on 11/5/2009 at 16:36

Photos of Vientiane

Posted by kerouac2 on 10/5/2009 at 01:00

Just a very short introduction to Vientiane, but perhaps better than nothing. I'll be adding more photos soon. http://anyportinastorm.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=asia&thread=1255&page=1#17909 ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,674 times, with no replies.

Off the beaten path from Luang Prabang

Posted by cbaumga2 on 26/4/2009 at 07:08

I will be in Luang Prabang in June with a few days to kill, and would like to travel to a more remote part of Laos. What would be a good off-the-beaten-path destination that would be feasible from Luang Prabang in 3 days? Some places I have considered are Sainyabuli or Muang Ngoi. Any advice or other options would be greatly appreciated. Chris ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,122 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by smartlyndy on 7/5/2009 at 22:24

itinerary check

Posted by tazgirl on 5/5/2009 at 17:25

First up, this site has been so helpful, I've even gotten my travel agent addicted to checking it out! I'm planning on travelling around Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia for 2 months in June/July 09. So far my rough itinerary is: Fly into Hanoi - spend about a week here, Halong Bay trip, cooking classes etc. Fly Hanoi to Luang Prabang next day or same day - board boat to travel upriver to Luang Nam Tha Spend a few days in LNT, then slowly back to LP and further south, taking about 10 days. Ove ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,660 times, with 11 replies. Last reply by brucemoon on 7/5/2009 at 10:43

Recommended acomodation in Viantien

Posted by ofirbrill on 30/4/2009 at 20:51

Can some one recommend me of one? I'm looking for a place 5-15 USD with Aircon and Hot water Thank you! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,091 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by ofirbrill on 1/5/2009 at 20:21

Bangkok to Vientiane flights

Posted by ChrisM48 on 29/4/2009 at 09:32

I am wondering whether to arrange flights via internet from BKK to Vientiane (Laos Airlines)or whether it would be cheaper to purchase flight direct with them on arrival in BKK? Does anyone know if they have standby flights on sale at Suvarnabumi aiport and if so, are they cheaper? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,389 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by seagypsy on 30/4/2009 at 20:57

New train from Thailand to Laos

Posted by think87 on 9/3/2009 at 05:38

Does anyone know if there is visa on arrival if you take a train into laos? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,781 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by Line on 29/4/2009 at 21:14

Savannakhet to Luang Prabang, but not via Vientiene?

Posted by gingermark on 17/4/2009 at 18:08

I am currently in Hoi An, Vietnam, and planning to get a bus to Savannakhet in Laos. Not sure really what I want to do in Laos, but I want to go to Luang Prabang and exit via Vientiene into Thailand. As such, is there anyway to get from Savannakhet to Luang Probang without going via the capital, as I intend to go there when I leave Laos? Many thanks. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,388 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 28/4/2009 at 09:08

Luang Prabang

Posted by JamesHamblin on 10/4/2009 at 17:25

I am entering Laos at the Chiang Khong/houayxai border, and getting the slow boat down to Luang Prabang. This is where im stuck. I only want a flying visit through Laos and want to head on towards vietnam, starting in Hanoi. I have looked everywhere for bus routes or train routes towards any of the border crossings such as Tay Trang or Na Meo cant find anything. Also if anyone can help with onwards routes from these borders towards Hanoi. Cheers ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,399 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by brucemoon on 27/4/2009 at 15:33

practicing Kungfu and massage in laos?

Posted by dr_shivago on 26/4/2009 at 20:01

Hi there, I'm going to visit laos this year and I'm very interested in traditional kung fu and massage. Is the classic thai massage (think its called nuad sen) also present in laos? and is there any way to LEARN it. finding place where you receive a massage should be very easy, but i want to learn it. :) The same purpose on Kung fu. I'm practicing Thai Kung fu (not muay thai) for 2 years now and would be happy to see it in laos. Is thai kung fu also common in laos? are they have their ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,425 times, with no replies.

Air quality in Luang Prabang in April

Posted by luangprabangfan on 23/2/2009 at 16:50

Will be spending two weeks in LP in mid-April. Does anyone have recent experience of air pollution factor at that time of year due to burn-offs? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,512 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by Archmichael on 26/4/2009 at 10:56

Getting to Wat Phu (Champasak)

Posted by Intrepid82 on 24/4/2009 at 11:20

Hi - I am planning on going to Wat Phu following a trip to Siem Reap. Can anybody tell me how far the airport at Pakse is from Wat Phu or the town of Champasak, and how easy/hard it is to get transport?! Cheers :) ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,572 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by CunningMcFar on 25/4/2009 at 00:05

Flights to and from Phonsavan

Posted by Intrepid82 on 23/4/2009 at 10:24

Does anyone know which airline I would need to contact for flights to/from Phonsavan ? Ideally I'd like to fly there from Pakse...... I've looked on the Lao Airlines website and there is no mention of Phonsavan on their domestic flights page. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,723 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by chrispyrolls on 24/4/2009 at 14:36

Plain Of Jars

Posted by Glhaskell on 5/4/2009 at 05:46

How far is the plain of Jars from Vientiane. Suggestions on getting there? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,173 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by Rufus on 23/4/2009 at 17:21

How to arrange a home stay?

Posted by KRStamm on 16/4/2009 at 12:19

I was thinking about doing a home stay in Laos while I am traveling. How in the world do I go about setting it up? What is a decent rate and what should I pay my host for their hospitality? Should I bring gifts? If so what? Will a host accept a unmarried couple? As always Thanks Kistin ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 11,079 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by seagypsy on 22/4/2009 at 03:28

Help with Cambodia and Laos itinerary

Posted by travelleruk0 on 14/12/2008 at 21:36

First of all this is a great site! Just started planning for a trip to Cambodia and Laos in possibly October/November 2009. Originally I planned a 14 day trip but this is not looking reasonable with all the places I'm considering. Consequently my trip is up to 17 days. This site has given me huge amount of ideas but I still need some input. My holiday priorities are Ankor Wat, Luang Prabang and visiting a place with beautiful green mountainous waterside scenery like Vang Vieng. So here is my ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,955 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 21/4/2009 at 11:36

north Laos into vietnam

Posted by JamesHamblin on 11/4/2009 at 17:39

My plan so far is to get into laos from thailand at the houayxai border in the north and catch the slow boat down the river to louang phabang. I was planning on gettin a bus from there to Phonsavan and then to the border town at Na Meo. However i did want to try for the border at Tay Trang . When I get into Vietnam I want to head straight for Hanoi. If anyone know of what the best way from either the Tay Trang or Na Meo border to get to Hanoi, could you please say. Im planning my trip and ha ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,084 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by brucemoon on 20/4/2009 at 21:38

Tonic water avalable in Laos?

Posted by mikethediver on 18/4/2009 at 20:20

As a pair of aspiring alcoholics traveling to Laos and about to dump most of my luggage to make room for large amounts of Thai Sam Song, I was wondering if Tonic water was easily available? I know all about the wacky baccy and stuff, but this could be a major problem for us!! So can I get tonic water, what is the local firewater, what do you drink it with??? Cheers guys! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,372 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by Rufus on 20/4/2009 at 19:03

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page