Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Flights to and from Phonsavan

Posted by Intrepid82 on 23/4/2009 at 10:24

Does anyone know which airline I would need to contact for flights to/from Phonsavan ? Ideally I'd like to fly there from Pakse...... I've looked on the Lao Airlines website and there is no mention of Phonsavan on their domestic flights page. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,687 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by chrispyrolls on 24/4/2009 at 14:36

Plain Of Jars

Posted by Glhaskell on 5/4/2009 at 05:46

How far is the plain of Jars from Vientiane. Suggestions on getting there? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,069 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by Rufus on 23/4/2009 at 17:21

How to arrange a home stay?

Posted by KRStamm on 16/4/2009 at 12:19

I was thinking about doing a home stay in Laos while I am traveling. How in the world do I go about setting it up? What is a decent rate and what should I pay my host for their hospitality? Should I bring gifts? If so what? Will a host accept a unmarried couple? As always Thanks Kistin ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 10,840 times, with 9 replies. Last reply by seagypsy on 22/4/2009 at 03:28

Help with Cambodia and Laos itinerary

Posted by travelleruk0 on 14/12/2008 at 21:36

First of all this is a great site! Just started planning for a trip to Cambodia and Laos in possibly October/November 2009. Originally I planned a 14 day trip but this is not looking reasonable with all the places I'm considering. Consequently my trip is up to 17 days. This site has given me huge amount of ideas but I still need some input. My holiday priorities are Ankor Wat, Luang Prabang and visiting a place with beautiful green mountainous waterside scenery like Vang Vieng. So here is my ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,909 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 21/4/2009 at 11:36

north Laos into vietnam

Posted by JamesHamblin on 11/4/2009 at 17:39

My plan so far is to get into laos from thailand at the houayxai border in the north and catch the slow boat down the river to louang phabang. I was planning on gettin a bus from there to Phonsavan and then to the border town at Na Meo. However i did want to try for the border at Tay Trang . When I get into Vietnam I want to head straight for Hanoi. If anyone know of what the best way from either the Tay Trang or Na Meo border to get to Hanoi, could you please say. Im planning my trip and ha ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,051 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by brucemoon on 20/4/2009 at 21:38

Tonic water avalable in Laos?

Posted by mikethediver on 18/4/2009 at 20:20

As a pair of aspiring alcoholics traveling to Laos and about to dump most of my luggage to make room for large amounts of Thai Sam Song, I was wondering if Tonic water was easily available? I know all about the wacky baccy and stuff, but this could be a major problem for us!! So can I get tonic water, what is the local firewater, what do you drink it with??? Cheers guys! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,334 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by Rufus on 20/4/2009 at 19:03

Direct bus from Savannakhet to Hue

Posted by pippy208 on 19/4/2009 at 18:49

Hi, We are due to arrive in Savannakhet in the coming week or so and want to catch the direct bus to Hue, the bus where you don't have to sleep at the border and you get across in one day. But we have been reading that the direct buses only go 2/3 times a week, does anyone know what days and times the buses go? As we do not want to have to spend a whole week there due to time constraints. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,280 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 20/4/2009 at 08:41

Want to share a boat from Huay Xai to Luang Prabang, 20th or 21st April?

Posted by wessatong on 14/4/2009 at 17:12

Hi thanks for reading. I've posted this in the sticky thread on the Laos slow boat. If you're reading this and you happen to be leaving Huay Xai for Luang Prabang on the 20th or 21st of April, drop me an e-mail at wessatong @ gmail . com . There are just two of us travelling but we hope to maybe cobble together a group of 11 and hire a boat. One poster here said that it will cost about US$500 altogether, so it will cost us maybe about US$50 each. Will be more comfortable than the u ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,740 times, with no replies.

Entering Laos from Thailand?

Posted by teacherjuli on 13/4/2009 at 15:02

I'm now in Chiang Mai and am wondering what is the least expensive way to get to Bokeo, Laos and what should I expect? Thanks so much for any help!! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,031 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 13/4/2009 at 15:04

Should I pre-book tickets to Laos?

Posted by cbaumga2 on 9/4/2009 at 06:29

We will be flying from Siem Reap to Luang Prabang , and then from Luang Prabang to Bangkok, all in June. Is it necessary to book these tickets in advance, or will I be OK purchasing them when I get there? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,993 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 9/4/2009 at 10:55

Entering Laos from Vietnam - Money Issues

Posted by lobstermage on 13/4/2007 at 15:48

Hi! So, my friend and I are planning a trip in Southeast Asia this summer, and our plan is to visit Laos after we're done in Vietnam. I am currently living outside of the US, so I have not even set eyes upon US currency in paper form in almost an entire year. So, I'm wondering - what are the odds of being able to find a place to convert Vietnamese Dong to Lao Kip? And, is it popular to survive in Laos without any Baht or Dollars? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,632 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by fotosbydavid on 8/4/2009 at 21:14

Luang Prabang, back to Thailand

Posted by SybilVane on 4/4/2009 at 15:51

Hello, I'm working on my itinerary for my trip in September and the forum threads are proving incredibly useful. A lot has been said about the trip from Huay Xai to Luang Prabang . I still haven't decided, but I'll get there eventually. Now the big question is, how do I get back? I don't have a lot of time to spend in Laos, and after Luang Prabang, I need to return to Thailand as quickly as possible, and it seems that a flight to Bangkok would be the best option. At this point, the ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,462 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by SybilVane on 5/4/2009 at 07:06

Gibbon Experience

Posted by gabby on 19/3/2007 at 06:18

Has anyone done the Gibbon Experience with kids? We are travelling with our 9 & 7 year old girls. They are very adventurous and really like the idea of zipping around the treetops but I am interested to hear from anyone else who may have been there with their children. Thanks, Gabby ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,522 times, with 10 replies. Last reply by Glhaskell on 5/4/2009 at 05:56

Guest House near Phou Khoun on Highway 13?

Posted by eljefe on 11/3/2009 at 18:40

Last I heard, there was a new "resort" guest house opening just south of Phou Koun on Highway 13. Supposedly it's 2-5 km south of town. I know there are 2 or 3 guest houses in the center of Phou Koun but they are best avoided. I'll be coming in from Phonsavan by bicycle on Highway 7 and then heading north to Luang Prabang and would prefer not to have to go south and backtrack for a hotel that may not be open The last report I have was in November when it wasn't open yet. Any current in ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,362 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by eljefe on 2/4/2009 at 17:13

How debilitating is the wet season in the far South/ Bolaven??

Posted by autourdumonde3232 on 2/4/2009 at 04:01

Hi all! I'm planning on visiting Southern Laos in late June/ Early July, which is about a month or two in to the "wet season". According to guide books "southern Laos and Cambodia" are the "exception" when it comes to the wet season not complicating travel. I have grown to not fully trust guide books.. not only because they encompass a vast amount of information usually gathered by one single person in each region, but because they have liabilities that an individual does not when giving ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,397 times, with no replies.

Getting from Northern Laos to Northern Thailand

Posted by Glhaskell on 12/3/2009 at 22:01

Has anyone gone from Luang Praband up to Pai in thialand? Are there buses or did you have to take a flight? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,832 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by brucemoon on 26/3/2009 at 07:30

New Years in Luang Prabang vs. Chiang Mai

Posted by Kostichka on 26/2/2009 at 10:32

Hey everyone, I will be heading to Thailand and Laos in April. I have the flexibility to be either in Chiang Mai or Luang Prabang for New Year festivities. I heard that both are great time but can anyone provide me with more details? how are the celebrations different in each town, etc. Thanks, Kostja ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,464 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by brucemoon on 26/3/2009 at 07:15

Mouang Khoua - Phong Sali road.

Posted by BigRoss on 26/2/2009 at 19:20

My map shows a secondary road from Muang Khoua to Ban Hat Sa near Phong Sali. Is anybody familiar with this road? I'm wondering if I could get a trail bike up it in September. Grateful for any information on the area. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,927 times, with 13 replies. Last reply by wanderingcat on 18/3/2009 at 09:30

A5N rugby in Savannakhet 22, 25 & 28 March

Posted by silverwood on 17/3/2009 at 20:52

Lao, Cambodia and Brunei are competing in the Asia 5 Nations rugby tournament at the Savannakhet National Stadium this month. See www.laorugby.com for details. The Lao Rugby Federation is arranging a bus Vientiane-Savan to catch the final game, leaving on Friday 27th. Deal includes 2 nights at the new Savan Vegas hotel complex, only $95. Message +85627849512 for more info... See travelfish if you are interested in budget or flashpacker options, and to read about other things to check ou ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,136 times, with no replies.

Elephany trekking solo...

Posted by think87 on 17/3/2009 at 06:29

Almost all tours say min. 2 persons..... If someone wants to do it alone can they? will they just trow into a group of others? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,630 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by seagypsy on 17/3/2009 at 11:34

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page