Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Vang Vieng vs Muang Ngoi

Posted by Romily on 20/10/2008 at 20:32

I have 11 days in Lao in December, flying into Luang Prabang. First I was planning to go down to Vientienne via Vang Vieng, and then continue on to Bangkok. But after having heard so much bad about Vang Vieng I was looking at others options, and am now considering a combination of Luang Prabang / Muang Ngoi, as it sounds so much nicer than Vang Vieng. What is your take on this? And is there anything else in the north that I could fit into my tight schedule that you consider to be worthwhile? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,666 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by austral31 on 9/2/2009 at 17:02

suggestions for travel from Luang Namtha to Luang Prabang

Posted by paradise on 7/2/2009 at 07:55

Hi, We will be in Luang Namtha for a few days and then making our way at beginning of March to Luang Prabang and have about 8 days before we then fly to Hanoi. Would really like to get your suggestions on how to route this and how much time it will take. We would love to include Phongsali but think that might be too much for the time we have.We're also wondering about going via Muang Khua and Nong Khiaw and not sure if its possible to do a combo of some bus and some boat. We'll be doing t ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,005 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 9/2/2009 at 07:37

Nearest good beach to Vientiane?

Posted by wessatong on 27/1/2009 at 18:01

Hi, I'll be backpacking thru Laos and ending up in Vientiane sometime in late April. I want to end off my trip at a nice beach before I head back to Singapore. Anyone has any suggestions? So far my plan is to get from Vientiane to Udon Thani, get a cheapie flight to Bangkok, get on a bus for 5 hours and then a boat for 2 hours to Ko Chang. But if anyone has any ideas of a nearer place, or someplace easier to get to, lemme know! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,729 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by seagypsy on 5/2/2009 at 12:29

Book exchange in Luang Prabang

Posted by amazon_blonde on 4/2/2009 at 13:24

If you're looking to exchange your book(s) while in Luang Prabang, check out the exchange operated by Tamnak Lao (The Three Elephants Cafe) in the alley by their restaurant. The exchange is one-for-one, plus a 20,000 kip ($2) donation to an orphanage. Taking them at their word, this seems like (a) a good deal, and (b) a good cause. The selection is fairly limited, but worth checking out before trying other (more expensive) book exchanges/shops. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,982 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by amazon_blonde on 4/2/2009 at 21:28

Buying a bicycle in Pakse

Posted by fxhnd on 31/1/2009 at 14:29

Greetings everyone, and thank you for viewing my post. I will be going to Pakse from Cambodia in a couple of weeks' time, and was wondering how difficult it would be to buy an average quality mountain bike (pardon me because I don't know a lot about bicycles) in the town of Pakse. Some of the things I would like to know are, what would the cost be in USD and where can I look for the bicycles in Pakse? Thank you very much and I hope to hear from some of you soon! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,826 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by fxhnd on 1/2/2009 at 22:10

Conundrum

Posted by lcreller on 6/1/2009 at 21:38

Hi, Im entering Laos at Vientiane and then wish to visit Luang Prabang before heading into Vietnam for Sapa, Hanoi and down to Hue and Hoi An - could as many people as possible please vote for which is best journey into Vietnam? 1) LP to Sapa through DBP border crossing 2) LP to Hanoi through Sam Neua border crossing 3) Vientiane to Vinh through Cau Treo border crossing (although this would cause lots of going back on myself) Any issues with any of these journies, please let me know!! Sp ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,878 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by brucemoon on 24/1/2009 at 13:12

Tham Kong Lo

Posted by aleaster on 20/1/2009 at 18:16

Hi I am finally trying to lock down an itinerary for Laos and can't seem to find any information here on Tham Kong Lo. Am I searching for the wrong thing? I am looking for more information on the cave-tunnel that runs through a mountain. Can anyone help or give me the link that I can't find myself? Many thanks. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,757 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by aleaster on 20/1/2009 at 18:37

Obtaining a Visa: Hanoi to Loas to Thailand by Land

Posted by curiouscarol on 17/1/2009 at 18:26

Hi, Just wondering if I can obtain a visa if I arrive in Loas by land from Hanoi? I have read somewhere that the Loas visa can only be obtained from the Vientiane Airport and the Friendship Bridge but I'm not sure if that is true. Also does anyone know how long and how much the bus or rail ride is from Hanoi to Luang Prabang? Was also wondering if i can obtain a 30day thai tourist visa at the friendship bridge when I cross into Thailand and what the cost is? Your help is much apprecia ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,925 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by laos_info on 19/1/2009 at 13:15

Green Discovery Kayaking from Vientiane to Vang Vieng

Posted by weiwei22 on 13/1/2009 at 21:59

I know Green Discovery offers this tour, but does anyone know if it is upstream or downstream? i.e. would it be easier or harder to kayak compared to going the other direction, i.e. VV to Vientiane? Also, how rough is the water? Would someone unable to swim find it scary? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,113 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by laos_info on 19/1/2009 at 13:08

Si Phan Don to Kratie?

Posted by chicho83 on 16/1/2009 at 17:54

I want to travel from one of the islands in Si Phan Don to kratie. Can anyone let me know whats the best island to leave from? is the border crossing by boat still open? and roughly how long does it take and how much? So many questions but would be great to get an idea :) thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,955 times, with no replies.

Pakse to Don Khon

Posted by chrispyrolls on 14/1/2009 at 19:58

Hi, What's the quickest way to get from Pakse to Don Khon? Bus or car (possible to hire with driver?) to Ban Nakasang, then boat?... what would be the total travel time would you say? I have read around 3.5 hours max for the road bit, and 15 mins on the boat... do those times still sound correct? Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,987 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by chrispyrolls on 16/1/2009 at 16:55

women travellers

Posted by allison20 on 10/1/2009 at 08:59

I'm new to solo travel, but I'm in Hanoi and want to spend a week / a few weeks travelling around Laos, and I'm going to go alone. I'd like to take the slow boat up the river from Vientiane to Luang Prabang, maybe rent a motorbike (I'm an experienced driver) and drive around and see the countryside. Should there be any concern about me as a girl doing these things alone? I have no clue, so I'd appreciate advice. Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,610 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by allison20 on 16/1/2009 at 13:21

Wonder Land Internet Vang VIeng - have you heard of I have c harges on my Visa..

Posted by tlm44 on 16/1/2009 at 03:19

Has anyone heard of Wonder Land Internet in Vang Vieng I have a bunch of large charges on my Visa - 95, 68, I had internet at my hotel but the power kept going out so I could have gone on there... I can't think of anything else I would have spent that kind of money on... Tracy ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,862 times, with no replies.

Weather in Feb?

Posted by chrispyrolls on 12/1/2009 at 03:09

Hi, Everytyhing is all booked now for the jaunt to Laos, arriving 9th and there for 2 weeks. Goin to be in Vientiane, LP and Nong Kiau and am looking around at some historical data on wunderground, etc - the temps on there (and here) say anything from mid 20s to low 30s... anyone been on those places at that time? Am I looking at nice warm days, with a cool evening? Given the Riverside in NK has heated blankets I am expecting there to be the coolest - would that be a fair assumption? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,849 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by chrispyrolls on 15/1/2009 at 00:49

3 weeks in Laos for the solo traveller - suggested itinerary

Posted by saxomophone on 13/1/2009 at 12:40

Hi all, I'm heading to South East Asia for a 4 month trip covering Singapore, Malaysia (peninsula), Vietnam (HCMC and Mekong Delta only), Cambodia, Laos, China and Mongolia. My original plan was to cross over into Laos overland from Cambodia and work my way up through the country, beginning in the 4000 Islands and taking in Pakse, Tha Kaek and the Konglor Caves, Ventiane, Vang Vieng and Luang Prabang (and probably more once I do more research!). But I am starting to think (with a lot o ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,110 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by Rufus on 14/1/2009 at 15:32

Tailors in Vientiane

Posted by austral31 on 10/1/2009 at 09:53

Hi!! After spending a few days in Vientiane, I have noticed that there are a few tailors on one street in particular. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience (good or bad) with any of them. There is nothing mentioned about it in my travel guide so any advice would be most helpful. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,927 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by austral31 on 13/1/2009 at 12:34

Luang Prabang to Hanoi Flights

Posted by beckym319 on 10/1/2009 at 22:44

Was just wondering whether it is worth booking flights from Luang Prabang to Hanoi ahead or if its just the same to get them a couple of days before once in in Luang Prabang? Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,422 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by basejump on 12/1/2009 at 17:47

Increased Visa Charges.

Posted by Rufus on 3/1/2009 at 10:13

There has been an increas in visa charges which started on 1/1/2009. The following is paraphrased from the Vientiane Times: $2.00 extra. Tour companies will no longer be charged 5% profit tax to flow into the Tourism development Fund. Those who enter on a border pass will pay $1.00 ie Thailand, Viet, Cambo, Myanmar and China. Diplomatic, official or business travel will be exempt. Will come into effect on 1/1/2009 No visas required for Japan, Sth Korea, Russia and most Asean countries. Oth ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,107 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by Tilapia on 7/1/2009 at 05:29

Gibbon Experience

Posted by strutmisslizzie on 5/1/2009 at 11:26

I was reading up on this tour you can do in Northern Laos where you stay in Tree houses at canopy level and travel through the forest on zip lines. It sounds amazing and I was wondering if anyone had done it and what they thought? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,306 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by Rufus on 5/1/2009 at 11:58

Flights from China

Posted by Lyoungie on 26/11/2008 at 15:12

Hi again, Thanks to all those who responded to my last post. I am convinced I want to go to Vientiane and/or Luang Prabang. I am traveling from Xiamen, China. I am afraid to travel to Bangkok because of the canceled flights. Does anyone have any affordable tips? I am looking to go Dec 20th. Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,868 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by chinabased on 5/1/2009 at 11:52

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page