Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Little bit of Laos

Posted by mic59 on 24/10/2008 at 16:58

I came over here for a 6-week Thailand holiday, when I was in Pai a travel agent talked me into taking a river trip to Luang Prabang. At the moment I am in Soppong, i intend to leave Pai on 27/10 to go to Huay Xiai. Can anyone tell me where else would be a good idea to go in Laos and how much money I would need? I'm staying in 300 baht gh's in Thailand and I wouldn't want to stay longer than about 4 days in Laos as there were still a few places in Thailand I wanted to visit. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,386 times, with no replies.

Sensouk Guest House

Posted by mudgeerambler on 23/10/2008 at 09:24

Quick one.Thinking of staying here on arrival in LP > Saw on a couple of other sites that stealing (ie removing items from rooms) happens a bit too much here . Any comments ? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,212 times, with no replies.

tubing in vang vieng

Posted by TheBarang on 9/5/2008 at 05:31

This is probably a ridiculous question. I hear tubing is very popular in Vang Vieng. Would love to partake, but is there any need to be concerned about water parasites in that river? I'm assuming it's safe since so many people do it, but I don't want to end up with any uninvited guests in my pores! Anyone had any problems? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 6,630 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by Rufus on 23/10/2008 at 07:38

Hanoi to Vientiane by bus

Posted by choirboy on 21/10/2008 at 14:20

Hi all, I realize there has been a bit written about this, but haven't found anything recently and things can change quickly here in Asia so I thought i would ask. Has anyone taken one of the direct buses from Hanoi to Vientiane recently? I've read some nightmare reports, but am surprised that there isn't at least one legit operation running now. Does anyone know of any companies doing a reasonable service now? If the direct bus is simply guaranteed to be a disaster does anyone have a ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,220 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 22/10/2008 at 10:29

Pakse - anyone joining on a trekking trip?

Posted by sparklingfrog on 21/10/2008 at 22:04

Hi, is anyone interested in joining one of the guided trekking trips into the area around Pakse this week? (The more join, the less expensive it will be...) Regards Robert ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,595 times, with no replies.

14 days in North Laos -where to go

Posted by geneluck on 6/10/2008 at 04:29

I am travelling to Laos 2 weeks arriving in Vientiane , leaving 2 weeks later from Luang prabang to Hanoi (plane). Any suggestion of where to go, besides Vientiane , Luang prabang. thanks for any suggestion ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,691 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 20/10/2008 at 07:18

Mr Boun Hom - Don Dhet bungalows

Posted by bunny81 on 19/10/2008 at 15:45

Hi all, we've looked through the list of guesthouses on travelfish for Don Dhet and like the look of this one: MR Boun Hom. Does anyone know how to book them, eg email address? I'm guessing these places wouldn't have websites! We are travelling in January and would prefer to book before we get there. Also, does anyone have any reviews on this place? We're basically looking for a bungalow in good location with private not shared bathroom. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,901 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 20/10/2008 at 07:17

Cross from Thailand to Laos in Rental Car?

Posted by zoewest on 16/10/2008 at 15:24

Hi, I live in Chiang Mai, and I'd like to take a road trip to Vientiane. Is it possible to cross the border in a rental car, or would I have to leave the car on the Thai side? Thanks for any advice! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,021 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by agarlao on 19/10/2008 at 08:05

Day trip to Pak Ou Caves

Posted by angie69 on 9/10/2008 at 00:25

will be in Luang Prabang end Oct. Any advice on what is the best way to visit Pak Ou Caves? read that we can make our own way to Pak Ou Caves with less than 100,000 kip or better to go through tour company. However, found on internet, day trips organised by tour company costing about US$50. Any way to remove the hassle of making own transport yet can do it at lower cost? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,637 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by 33bennett on 18/10/2008 at 16:17

giving toys to children

Posted by mudgeerambler on 13/10/2008 at 16:48

is it a good idea to take small toys to give the children in Laos ? Where are good places to give them out ? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,160 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by Rufus on 18/10/2008 at 08:04

First time to Laos

Posted by jamespool on 14/10/2008 at 17:56

I'm planning my first trip to Laos at the moment, great site! I'm going at christmas and have three weeks there. I know I want to see the gibbon place, Muang Sing and Loung Phabang and I'd like to do a boat trip as well. I don't plan to go to the south, but am looking for two other places to fit into my trip. I like smaller places, but ones that get a few travellers, but not loads. I don't want to go to Vang Veang. I like to travel slow. If you could only go to two places in laos where wou ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,049 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by Rufus on 17/10/2008 at 14:23

Laos Visa

Posted by ainemckevitt on 17/10/2008 at 12:42

Hi Just wondering (really hoping!) that someone can help me. I am in Hanoi and going to Laos this evening and hense do not have enough time to get a visa before getting to the border. Alot of people are saying it is ok to get the visa at the border but its friday eveing and it will be early sat morning when we are crossing the border. Has anyone any experience with this?? Cheers! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,515 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 17/10/2008 at 13:21

Driver and car from Vientiane to Luang Prabangs has anybody done it?

Posted by woodyuk on 16/10/2008 at 06:36

I was thinking of hiring a Driver and car from Vientiane to Luang Prabangs has anybody done it? Have heard the Scenery is brilliant and as I have my camera with me I would like to be able to stop on the way to take photographs.. Does any body know how much this would cost and if it is even posible... Cheers ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,076 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 16/10/2008 at 12:07

Laos homestay?

Posted by mattocmd on 14/10/2008 at 21:36

Hello, I read somewhere about staying with families in Laos for $2 a night or so. My girlfriend and I will be in Laos in Feb. and I think this would be an excellent way to spend some of our time. I would love such a cultural experience. So how do you do it? Just show up at some houses? Learn enough Lao to ask the locals? If anyone has done this please let me know... Thanks! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,167 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by somsai on 15/10/2008 at 20:00

Vientianne to Hanoi - Flights??

Posted by lauraandmark on 16/9/2008 at 20:26

Hi, I am thinking of flying to Hanoi from Laos and was wondering if anyone knew a rough price for vietnam airways as the website isnt much help? We are flying in december. Is it easier and cheaper to book whilst in Laos or do the flights get very busy/more expensive nearer the time? If it looks to expensive we may reroute to avoid 24hours on a bus - any ideas for a different route? Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,110 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by lauraandmark on 13/10/2008 at 15:46

flying to Luang Prabang

Posted by kangourousse on 14/9/2008 at 23:15

Hi all, I was wondering if it's possible to fly from Vientiane to Luang Prabang. It seems like the bus takes the whole day and is unreliable and I only have just over a week in Laos, want to spend most (or all) of that time in and around Luang Prabang. I'll be arriving from Kuala Lumpur. If I can't fly from Vientiane to Luang Prabang, would it be best to fly from KL to Bangkok and then catch a flight from there to LP? Thanks, Kangourousse. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,457 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by KPTham1 on 11/10/2008 at 02:30

Laos Itinerary - advice please!

Posted by Karimster on 8/10/2008 at 18:52

Hello, flying into Pakse from Siem Reap tomorrow, I have 15 nights before flying from Luang Prabang to Bangkok. At the moment I'm thinking: 9 Pakse 10 Pakse 11 Kingfisher Ecolodge 12 Kingfisher Ecolodge 13 Don Khong 14 ? 15 ? 16 ? 17 ? 18 Vientanne 19 Vientanne 20 Van Vieng 21 Luang Prabang 22 Luang Prabang 23 Luang Prabang Any thoughts - is that more than I need in the south? What should I do in the middle of Laos for four nights - I'd like to visit some of the lovely cave ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,464 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by Karimster on 10/10/2008 at 19:51

indian restaurant

Posted by sadiqraihana on 6/10/2008 at 12:07

any indian restaurant in huay sai ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,631 times, with no replies.

Laos in January

Posted by traky on 22/9/2008 at 10:42

Hello, i am planning to travel to Laos/Cambodia for 3 or 4 weeks from the 11th january '09. I understand this is high season - but just how busy does it get? Will I be able to rock up to LP or VTE with no accomodation booked and still find a guesthouse? If not how far in advance do i have to book? If anyone has travelled Laos /Cambodia in January I would appreciate any insights!! Thanks heaps! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,952 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by sadiqraihana on 4/10/2008 at 19:29

Place to Rest Up

Posted by Karimster on 30/9/2008 at 19:00

Moto accident means that my original plans for Laos are probably not a goer - not keen on trecking and staying in places of questionable hygiene while I'm scabby. Unfortunately this has necessitated a reassessment of my budget for Laos, but y'all might be able to help out by advising on: I was keen to visit some of south Laos, going from Pakse to the Islands via Champasak. My original plan saw this as a rushed 2/3 nights using local transport. I can still to Wat Champasak as a day trip from P ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,594 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 1/10/2008 at 05:11

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page