Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

Ho Chi Minh to Vientiane. How did you get there?

Posted by damagedglitter on 16/8/2008 at 22:18

Has anyone gone from HCMC to Vientiane? I'm looking at airline tickets and it is pretty expensive. I can't find proof of a reliable bus. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 10,426 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by Rufus on 20/8/2008 at 15:01

motorcycle hire in north laos

Posted by queanbeyan on 16/8/2008 at 04:13

Hi, I am an experienced motorcycle rider and I would like to get some details about how to hire a motorcycle to ride around in north laos. I know that its hard to hire a motorcycle in luang prabang for local use, but I intend to be riding to phongsali, udom Xai and luang nam tha and then back to luang prabang. Any experiences with hiring - good places - places to avoid - costs - tips - appreciated. I speak and read lao so i dont have problems with getting directions and routes. Doug ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,244 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somsai on 19/8/2008 at 08:01

Flying Luang Prabang to Chiang Mai

Posted by Brisbod on 17/8/2008 at 18:43

Does anyone know if any other airline apart from Lao fly from Luang Prabang to Chiang Mai? We are hoping to fly on Wednesday, 15 October but Lao Airline's website says they fly every other day except Wednesday. Just our luck!!! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,396 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by TonyL on 18/8/2008 at 08:14

Mosquito Net & Travellers Cheques

Posted by Gerry on 22/5/2008 at 14:04

Hi All, I will be travelling in Laos, Vietnam & Thailand in June/July/Aug. I know this may seem a naive question but is it a good idea to carry a mosquito net? As I write this I begin to wonder how I would hang it up if I did have one,but I am not the world's most adventurous person when it comes to risking diseases. Secondly, is it easy to pay for things using US$ travellers cheques or do I have to take them to a bank. Is it even remotely probable that if I pay for items in US$ cash, I w ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,290 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by wendo on 14/8/2008 at 11:44

which country?

Posted by piglet44 on 13/8/2008 at 13:36

We have two weeks to travel in April. Which country would be the best bet? We like temples, scenery, people. Not looking for a tough trek more something "soft" but cultural. Have been to South India, China and Thailand in past trips and enjoyed all of them. Heard that the Vietnamese are not so friendly.Any comments? thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,327 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by Tilapia on 13/8/2008 at 22:43

Van Loi Heua Fai (full Moon Festival)

Posted by bradletn on 13/8/2008 at 16:38

Does anyone know when this is being held in October this year? Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,162 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by wanderingcat on 13/8/2008 at 18:07

Luang Prabang on a weekend

Posted by dseckel on 13/8/2008 at 07:17

Any difference on the liveliness / sleepiness of Luang Prabang on Sunday compared to Saturday, in terms of places to visit, restaurants / cafes / bars open? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,400 times, with no replies.

Transport Luang Prabang to Luang Nam Tha (Namtha) - Bus VIP Minivan

Posted by travelmike on 16/7/2008 at 11:53

Anyone have some extra info re: Tourist Transport Luang Prabang to Luang NamTha? Current options -Green Discovery private minivan $170 Usd for two people -Fly LP to Vientiane then Vientiane to NamTha -VIP Bus Vientiane to Kunming $57 Usd (stop at Boten then two hours local transport) -Local bus Local bus is cheap but over crowded with no air con (after 9 months traveling around Africa on local bus looking for other more comfortable options at reasonable cost if they are available) ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 10,069 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by silverwool on 9/8/2008 at 20:13

Plenty of International ATM's in Vientiane

Posted by uffe on 8/8/2008 at 14:38

Hi to you all, I am in Vientiane at the moment (8. August 2008) and find plenty of international ATM's here so it seems that there is no need to worry about not being able to cash ATM money for your travels..... Cheers to all ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,459 times, with no replies.

Mahout course

Posted by dseckel on 24/7/2008 at 03:36

Is there much difference between the two operators for their two day mahout course: - Tiger Trail - All Lao Travel Service Difficult to ascertain the difference from their websites (except price). Anyone had experience with either? Also, soould i book in advance, or upon arrival? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,612 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by brea on 6/8/2008 at 18:09

False Crime Rate in Luang Prabang

Posted by Pandaseatpeople on 5/8/2008 at 14:21

Despite official figures showing a tiny crime rate in Luang Prabang, i and others who have been here recently believe this is a false figure, mainly due to the tourist police refusing to accept reported crimes or sign any documents accepting that a crime occured. The couple me and my girlfriend are traveling with fell victim to a robbery on saturday night. Someone clearly entered their room through the door snatched a purse and a pair of shorts, then went around to the window and dumped thes ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,505 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by Pandaseatpeople on 6/8/2008 at 12:36

Time it takes to travel from Vientiane to LP

Posted by farangfellow on 4/8/2008 at 22:58

I am looking at bus from Vientiane to LP. Prefer local not VIP, Does anybody know how long it takes by local from Vientiane to Vang Vieng and then Vang Vieng to LP. Also cost if you remember. Thanks much - farangfellow ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,801 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by somsai on 6/8/2008 at 08:30

Unmissable sights in Laos

Posted by wanderingdreamer on 2/8/2008 at 17:58

Hi Travelfishies First of all - I love this site!!! Kudos to you Somtam! I have just booked a ticket to Phuket in December 08 and am planning on flying from there (after a few days on the beach)to Laos for 3 weeks before flying to Kuala Lumpur/Penang and then home. I have checked out the site and have some ideas but would like some input. My plan is vaguely: Stay in Luang Prabang for 4/5 days, travel along the Nam Ou River stopping at the major towns (including Muong Noi and Nong K ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,578 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by wanderingcat on 4/8/2008 at 13:26

Booking a flight from Vientiane to Hanoi

Posted by andrew951 on 31/7/2008 at 09:46

I will be flying from Vientiane to Hanoi on around the 23 Jan 09 next year. Being peak season, how far in advance would i need to book the flight for me and two friends? Is it reccommended to book it in my home country (NZ), or book it in Laos? I imagine booking it in Loas would be cheaper! Looking forward to any replys!! Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,442 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 4/8/2008 at 07:16

Vote for the Ecotourism Laos website

Posted by Dongphuvieng on 1/8/2008 at 13:51

If any of you have used the www.ecotourismlaos.com website, you'll know it provides loads of great info. It has recently been nominated for the 2008 Planeta Ecotourism Spotlight Award, which recognises government sponsored websites that support ecotourism and responsible travel. If you'd like to support it, just go to to http://www.planeta.com/ecotravel/tour/awardspotlight.html to cast your vote - the other sites aren't bad, either. Cheers, DPV (I have no affilitation with the website) ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,436 times, with no replies.

vientiane to LP- By motorbike, bus, plane?

Posted by maliamaui on 1/8/2008 at 13:01

We would like to travel from vientiane to LP and stop in Vang Vieng for a couple of nights. We thought of renting a motorbike that GreenDiscovery will supposedly pickup for $40 or so. Has anyone done that road by motorbike and know how long it takes? My husband is from Buenos Aires and is experienced on a motorbike but is the road very dangerous? Once we arrive in LP is it true that tourists are banned from using motorbikes? Would a motorbike be useful for trips around LP? How are the bus ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,928 times, with no replies.

6 days in Laos

Posted by dseckel on 29/7/2008 at 11:24

I've allocated 6 days for Laos. 4 definitely in Luang Prabang (including 2-day mahout experience) Is it better to: 1 day Vientiane, 1 day Vang Vieng, 4 days LP (Is it too much to bus into VV in the morning, gab a tube down the river, and bus out again the next morning?) -or- Just do 5-6 days in LP, with activities out of there? (Perhaps even a night at Nog kiaow?) ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,711 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 30/7/2008 at 08:58

Near the city centre - Laos & Cambodia?

Posted by em_bug on 29/7/2008 at 07:44

I am planning a trip to Thailand, Laos and Cambodia and was checking out the accommodation listed on the site. I was looking at the following places: Borann, Siem Reap; Lao Wooden House, Luang Prabang; Villa Saykham, Luang Prabang. They all say their address but to me who has never been there before it means very little! I was wondering if anyone knows their proximity to the city centers? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,797 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somtam2000 on 30/7/2008 at 08:53

Slow Boat-how to get the comfy seats??!

Posted by archerkath on 20/7/2008 at 15:24

Hi There, I've been googling this topic for days! Here's what I've found: On searching through hundreds of travel blogs about this trip, I noticed in people's pictures that some were on super crowded boats with wooden bench seats. Others were on super crowded boats with some comfy gray bucket seats and some white plastic chairs in the back. I don't think this was the expensive slow boat though. For anyone who has done this trip recently, what is the strategy to get on a boat with co ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,897 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by smartso on 29/7/2008 at 13:01

camera for rent in Luang Prabang?

Posted by metropical on 28/7/2008 at 19:45

anyone in LP have a still cam I could borrow or rent a few days while I'm here? Mine got wet and is very intermittent thus far. My cell 856 20 644 8406 ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,377 times, with no replies.

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page