Photo: Classic scenery surrounds Vang Vieng.

Laos forum

luang prabang

Posted by NEILEIO on 28/8/2008 at 12:15

hi all, Could you please let me know if the flooding is bad in luang Prabang? and also is it possible to go tubing in LP? Only have 5 days, would appreciate an easy to follow but full itinery? and any accomadation you can recommend? Thanks for your help ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,677 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by SBE on 28/8/2008 at 21:16

trekking between vieng thong and xam neua

Posted by wwaegemn on 14/5/2008 at 23:34

Hello, We are a group of 4 Belgians that are travelling to south east asia from July 15 to August 6 for three weeks. We are thinking of spending most of our time in Laos. Our itenerary in Laos looks as follows: 16 bangkok (arrival noon + night train to Vientiane) 17 Vientiane (arrival + visit city) 18 Vientiane (trekking) 19 Vientiane (trekking) 20 Vientiane (trekking) 21 Vientiane – Luang Prabang (10h bus) 22 Luang Prabang (visit city) 23 Luang Prabang – Nong Khiaw – Viang Kh ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,152 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by candy5 on 28/8/2008 at 11:41

beware of Aroon Residence Hotel in Vietiane if you are BLACK!!

Posted by blackskin on 18/8/2008 at 17:14

Hi everybody, I just came from a short trip in Vietiane, Laos and had a terrible experience with RACISM at the hotel I stayed. I stayed at the Aroon Residence Hotel, Ban Hatsady Nue, Chantabouly District. When I was checking out I asked the manager how much was the equivalent of the 39 US fee in Laos Kip. He became angry when I told him that the rate he quoted was more than the going rate. He told me to pay and get out with my BLACK SKIN. It was really violating. Be careful of that hotel if ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,648 times, with 18 replies. Last reply by somtam2000 on 27/8/2008 at 06:09

Sam Neua --> Hanoi

Posted by Geertk on 25/8/2008 at 01:21

Hoi beste mensen, Ik zou graag op zo kort mogelijke tijd reizen van Sam Neua (Laos) naar Hanoi (Vietnam). Ik heb al veel rondgezocht, maar niet echt iets nuttig gevonden. Is er iemand die dit al heeft gedaan en mij wat advies zou kunnen geven? Alvast bedankt voor de hulp! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,760 times, with no replies.

Vientiane flooding

Posted by Dongphuvieng on 15/8/2008 at 11:32

A quick note to report that Vientiane is suffering its worst flooding since 1923. That means the water has broken the banks of the Mekong and riverside areas are under some water. Places further east are affected more seriously than the riverfront area in the centre of town. So if you're in Vang VIeng or Luang Prabang and thinking of having an extra day before you come to Vte, it's not a bad idea. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 4,056 times, with 8 replies. Last reply by zoe83 on 21/8/2008 at 22:41

Getting from Gibbon Experience to Luang Prabang as quickly as possible

Posted by tfrohner on 6/2/2008 at 23:54

I am planning on doing the Gibbon Experience however I am having troubles finding a way to Luang Prabang from there. I don't really want to go all the way back to Houayxay and arrive too late for the boat and have to spend another night there. I also know I could take a bus up towards Luang Nam Tha and then down to Luang Prabang but my travel companion and I would really like to take a boat at some point (doesn't matter which river but something scenic would obviously be prefered). Any suggestio ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,713 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by rmb on 21/8/2008 at 14:36

money belts

Posted by barrylad66 on 23/4/2008 at 19:23

hi everyone can anyone suggest somewhere where i can purchase a good comfy moneybelt. thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,437 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by somsai on 21/8/2008 at 14:35

Ho Chi Minh to Vientiane. How did you get there?

Posted by damagedglitter on 16/8/2008 at 22:18

Has anyone gone from HCMC to Vientiane? I'm looking at airline tickets and it is pretty expensive. I can't find proof of a reliable bus. ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 10,538 times, with 4 replies. Last reply by Rufus on 20/8/2008 at 15:01

motorcycle hire in north laos

Posted by queanbeyan on 16/8/2008 at 04:13

Hi, I am an experienced motorcycle rider and I would like to get some details about how to hire a motorcycle to ride around in north laos. I know that its hard to hire a motorcycle in luang prabang for local use, but I intend to be riding to phongsali, udom Xai and luang nam tha and then back to luang prabang. Any experiences with hiring - good places - places to avoid - costs - tips - appreciated. I speak and read lao so i dont have problems with getting directions and routes. Doug ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,267 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by somsai on 19/8/2008 at 08:01

Flying Luang Prabang to Chiang Mai

Posted by Brisbod on 17/8/2008 at 18:43

Does anyone know if any other airline apart from Lao fly from Luang Prabang to Chiang Mai? We are hoping to fly on Wednesday, 15 October but Lao Airline's website says they fly every other day except Wednesday. Just our luck!!! ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,429 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by TonyL on 18/8/2008 at 08:14

Mosquito Net & Travellers Cheques

Posted by Gerry on 22/5/2008 at 14:04

Hi All, I will be travelling in Laos, Vietnam & Thailand in June/July/Aug. I know this may seem a naive question but is it a good idea to carry a mosquito net? As I write this I begin to wonder how I would hang it up if I did have one,but I am not the world's most adventurous person when it comes to risking diseases. Secondly, is it easy to pay for things using US$ travellers cheques or do I have to take them to a bank. Is it even remotely probable that if I pay for items in US$ cash, I w ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 5,320 times, with 7 replies. Last reply by wendo on 14/8/2008 at 11:44

which country?

Posted by piglet44 on 13/8/2008 at 13:36

We have two weeks to travel in April. Which country would be the best bet? We like temples, scenery, people. Not looking for a tough trek more something "soft" but cultural. Have been to South India, China and Thailand in past trips and enjoyed all of them. Heard that the Vietnamese are not so friendly.Any comments? thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,355 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by Tilapia on 13/8/2008 at 22:43

Van Loi Heua Fai (full Moon Festival)

Posted by bradletn on 13/8/2008 at 16:38

Does anyone know when this is being held in October this year? Thanks ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,192 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by wanderingcat on 13/8/2008 at 18:07

Luang Prabang on a weekend

Posted by dseckel on 13/8/2008 at 07:17

Any difference on the liveliness / sleepiness of Luang Prabang on Sunday compared to Saturday, in terms of places to visit, restaurants / cafes / bars open? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,426 times, with no replies.

Transport Luang Prabang to Luang Nam Tha (Namtha) - Bus VIP Minivan

Posted by travelmike on 16/7/2008 at 11:53

Anyone have some extra info re: Tourist Transport Luang Prabang to Luang NamTha? Current options -Green Discovery private minivan $170 Usd for two people -Fly LP to Vientiane then Vientiane to NamTha -VIP Bus Vientiane to Kunming $57 Usd (stop at Boten then two hours local transport) -Local bus Local bus is cheap but over crowded with no air con (after 9 months traveling around Africa on local bus looking for other more comfortable options at reasonable cost if they are available) ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 10,177 times, with 6 replies. Last reply by silverwool on 9/8/2008 at 20:13

Plenty of International ATM's in Vientiane

Posted by uffe on 8/8/2008 at 14:38

Hi to you all, I am in Vientiane at the moment (8. August 2008) and find plenty of international ATM's here so it seems that there is no need to worry about not being able to cash ATM money for your travels..... Cheers to all ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,480 times, with no replies.

Mahout course

Posted by dseckel on 24/7/2008 at 03:36

Is there much difference between the two operators for their two day mahout course: - Tiger Trail - All Lao Travel Service Difficult to ascertain the difference from their websites (except price). Anyone had experience with either? Also, soould i book in advance, or upon arrival? ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,642 times, with 1 reply. Last reply by brea on 6/8/2008 at 18:09

False Crime Rate in Luang Prabang

Posted by Pandaseatpeople on 5/8/2008 at 14:21

Despite official figures showing a tiny crime rate in Luang Prabang, i and others who have been here recently believe this is a false figure, mainly due to the tourist police refusing to accept reported crimes or sign any documents accepting that a crime occured. The couple me and my girlfriend are traveling with fell victim to a robbery on saturday night. Someone clearly entered their room through the door snatched a purse and a pair of shorts, then went around to the window and dumped thes ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 3,563 times, with 2 replies. Last reply by Pandaseatpeople on 6/8/2008 at 12:36

Time it takes to travel from Vientiane to LP

Posted by farangfellow on 4/8/2008 at 22:58

I am looking at bus from Vientiane to LP. Prefer local not VIP, Does anybody know how long it takes by local from Vientiane to Vang Vieng and then Vang Vieng to LP. Also cost if you remember. Thanks much - farangfellow ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 1,834 times, with 3 replies. Last reply by somsai on 6/8/2008 at 08:30

Unmissable sights in Laos

Posted by wanderingdreamer on 2/8/2008 at 17:58

Hi Travelfishies First of all - I love this site!!! Kudos to you Somtam! I have just booked a ticket to Phuket in December 08 and am planning on flying from there (after a few days on the beach)to Laos for 3 weeks before flying to Kuala Lumpur/Penang and then home. I have checked out the site and have some ideas but would like some input. My plan is vaguely: Stay in Luang Prabang for 4/5 days, travel along the Nam Ou River stopping at the major towns (including Muong Noi and Nong K ...

Read the full post.

Viewed 2,606 times, with 5 replies. Last reply by wanderingcat on 4/8/2008 at 13:26

Browse more pages of the forum:
Top of page

Please login to add a new post

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.

Top of page